Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok intps, only an intp would know if there was an intp imposter in there midst.

So the person in question is obviously not me (look to your left), it is in fact my friend, an intp female (who isn't really interested in the mbti and hardly sees the validity of a set of letters (which it doesn't have to and that's a whole mother thing) the problem is that she is really into musicals, yep an intp who loves musicals. She also says that she doesn't really like math and science that she is really more into English and history (which I'm like how did you even get intp, but anyway) she loves laughing at others stupidity, but is surprisingly protective of the rights of people and etc. (other gross emotional things) anyway, I know that thinkers can still feel (being one I know) she's not a huge fan of emotion either but still, (musicals which are almost all emotion) but she does have a history of crying during "sad parts" of movies. (which I'm like ok how) I know there are exceptions to everything, but a crying intp, really, I think that's a little bit of a stretch

·
Registered
962 Posts
Surely an INTP can cry....but to a movie? :bored:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Based on her behavior, she is either a very unusual INTP or much more likely, an INFP.

·
Registered
267 Posts

So the person in question is obviously not me (look to your left), it is in fact my friend, an intp female (who isn't really interested in the mbti and hardly sees the validity of a set of letters (which it doesn't have to and that's a whole mother thing) the problem is that she is really into musicals, yep an intp who loves musicals. She also says that she doesn't really like math and science that she is really more into English and history (which I'm like how did you even get intp, but anyway) she loves laughing at others stupidity, but is surprisingly protective of the rights of people and etc. (other gross emotional things) anyway, I know that thinkers can still feel (being one I know) she's not a huge fan of emotion either but still, (musicals which are almost all emotion) but she does have a history of crying during "sad parts" of movies. (which I'm like ok how) I know there are exceptions to everything, but a crying intp, really, I think that's a little bit of a stretch
Nothing in your description rules out INTP in fact I can relate to everything you wrote about her and I've studied MBTI enought to know I'm INTP. I've been in musicals before and love them. Though I don't hate math and science, I did love English and history more in high school and went on to study in the social sciences over the hard sciences. I would say I'm protective over people's rights because I want my freedom protected as well. However I rarely ever cry, almost never. So you've got me there.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Your first point catches my attention. There are different reasons someone may not be interested in the system or typing in general.

l think many Ti dominants are inherently interested, at least initially, and wouldn't do the knee-jerk rejection thing. l've seen that in some NFs as well as some sensing types, but not really ISTP's .

lf she lost interest over time after delving into it a bit, l'd say that's not atypical of INTP.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
English and History? ._. Blech...

I mean, based on nothing but general archetypes and what people of each type tend toward, I would guess INFP, but I can't actually draw any legitimate conclusions without actually knowing the person.

I will say, though, I am always immediately skeptical of any mbti results from online tests. The tests are really quite awful, and they should be ignored. Try typing your friend based on her interests, communication styles, demeanor, etc. Based on the limited information I have, I'd guess INFP, but again, it's not a very comprehensive view.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Be advised at how she's typing herself. INTP by four-letter code implies little about cognitive type until one can provide clear definitions and translations of the dichotomy to function model of type preserving the relevant conepts, which I strongly believe won't exist.

I have seen it mentioned by a few people on this site that I think are properly typed with Fi over Fe that the F component of the modern MBTI test/instrument is biased towards Fe, so while a legitimate T-dominant may not score high at it, but an Fi-dom by proper typological analysis might still score high at it.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Hey man I loved Les Mes, can't do anything that has numbers in it for shit, am excellent at writing/English and while I haven't cried in years I DO tear up at sad/touching things.

Man. Now I'm going to have to do some reading on INFPs aren't I?

EDIT: lolnope.

·
Registered
657 Posts
l think many Ti dominants are inherently interested, at least initially, and wouldn't do the knee-jerk rejection thing. l've seen that in some NFs as well as some sensing types, but not really ISTP's .
Not necessarily though, my dad got intp when he had to do it for work and happily disregards the whole thing as bullshit; which you can argue is a rather legitimate stance to take....

Reactions: LadyO.W.BernieBro

·
Registered
368 Posts
She also says that she doesn't really like math and science that she is really more into English and history
I also like history, wouldn't say that something you can say if or if she's not a INTP, it's just a matter of where your interests lies.

an intp female (who isn't really interested in the mbti and hardly sees the validity of a set of letters
Maybe she did a little bit of research after you mentioned it (she didn't get as far as the cognitive functions) and she couldn't find any feedback that it is scientificly proven. Also, I don't get deep in anything if it doesn't interest me and maybe ''light-psychology'' (wouldn't say this is really psychology although I believe it does fall under the catagory, doesn't it?) doesn't interest her.

but is surprisingly protective of the rights of people and etc.
Not really INTP unless it's about friends, I'd take it up for my friends to protect them if the need is there, but that is because I know they would do the same (and they have done it too).
But she might be a Enneagram type 8 INTP. Very rare though, and also most unlikely.

I'd say she's most likely a INFP

·
Registered
4,928 Posts

you know nothing.

what the fuck are you talking about.

is this a troll?

i'm going to go cry in my cry corner now.

sometimes things can remind you of something that makes you pretty damn sad, so you cry. intp included.
musicals... well, fuck this shit, you're in the wrong place.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eeeeasy now, OP. Let's put the coffe down shakily, but slowly. And unroll that $100 bill while you're at it. If she's not interested in MBTI then why would you care if she's an INTP? You sound like you are questioning her when she isn't arguing a position.

On a separate note, how dare an NTP misuse "there"?
*sigh* it was late at night, my usual autocorrect was off, but I have failed you my ntp brethren *fades away into oblivion*

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And let me help a little, her best friend is an INFJ if that helps anything, she definitely has the quirkiness of an inp, she usually doesn't talk at all in a group discussion (only a couple times), she loves to research things, random things in specific, so that wouldn't stray away from the ntp stereotype, I just wanted to bring this up as an interesting thing, she has probably researched it a little but her INFJ best friend has a HUGE influence on her, it's pretty creepy. They most share the same opinions on everything (I know they have two of the same functions, but still) I have never seen them get into an argument, which is insane for me for.... known reasons :p, They've told me they usually don't talk whenever they see each other they just both get on their laptops/tumblrs and just sit there, without talking to each other, only talking for brief intervals. Yeah, for me, I couldn't do that. But yeah she's extremely humanitarian on a lot of things, standing up for the rights of people while a vomit in a corner. Plus my best friend is a clear infp, and I can see how they're alike. Both quirky, and introverted, but the infp could care less about the rights of people so that's probably more fe? It would seem that if would be more concerned with morality? Oh well

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and everyone cries that's not the problem, but during A LOT of sad movies, even though I have emotions too I've never cried during any of these "sad movies", almost in les mis, but we don't talk about that here

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think any of those traits preclude her from being an INTP. I love history and nearly all INTPs love reading. I tear up quite often at sad movies, I'll admit. But tearing up at a movie every couple months hardly makes me an emotional person. I don't see how liking musicals has anything to do with being an INTP. Are we not allowed to like certain forms of entertainment as an INTP? I know INTPs who love *gasp!* sports, does that mean they're not INTPs?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts