Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you differentiate between a sensor who has been mistyped as an intuitive, AND an intuitive who has been mistyped as a sensor? Also, which sensor types are most likely to be mistyped as intuitives, AND which intuitive types are most likely to be mistyped as sensors, and why?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
The stereotype is that ISFPs are the most iNtUiTiVe of the sensors, why this is, I don't know, because they value creativity the least of all types - and creativity is often attributed to N.

You'll likely find INFJs as the iNtUiTiVe type most likely to mistype as a Sensor as they might not relate to all the BS psychic-like descriptors they read about "Ni" or even just INFJs in general - this could also stem from them not relating to the "carebear" stereotype that having "Fe" tends to introduce into descriptions.

I believe most INxx types relate more to "Fi" than "Fe" so this will have them shy away from INFJ as well and have them look into other types - perhaps many other types - Sensor types included.

I believe wholeheartedly that there are way more INFJs than the statistics (currently 2.8%) suggest - the ones who even are into mbti, just type as something else due to BS stereotypes.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
I think it's actually SFJs who are the most likely to type themselves as N. Mostly because their general descriptions tend to be really unflattering, so I can't really blame them. For the ISFJ, you literally change one letter around and you go from boring soccer mom to the most mystic of all types in one easy step. So, temptation much? Also because I think strong Fe likes to fool themselves and sell a false image to others at time (one of the flaws of Fe).

As far as Ns mistyping themselves as Sensors.....not sure that's even a thing. The only ones I can see do this are ENTJs because of their no-non sense natures, possibly seeing Intuition as daydreaming and having your heads in the cloud to which they are like ''Nope.''

·
Registered
118 Posts
Probably has to do with the wording of the tests they take. Some of the tests would ask questions like do you think about ideas of how the world would be a better place and mistakens that all sensors = conformists and all intuitives = rebels when really it has to do with how you describe subjects, objects or people.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's funny, in reality I know very few people I would type as strong sensing types, although typology gods claim that most people are sensors. It is really not any more common in its extreme form than any other function disorder.

Most people who dabble with typology are either detached from sensory reality or desperately try to connect with their repressed intuition. Bound to be extreme cases, imo.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I actually think INFJs who put too much emphasis on the concrete and try to make Ni a concrete thing are Sensors Or thinkers wanting to be INFJs.. or at least, honestly mistaking the functions.. Ni is abstract intuition that works with the psyche.. but I don't have to be right, of course. (jmo)..

Types that use Si are probably more likely to get Ni/Si mixed up as well, so I'd say ISJs. Si is abstract sensation... and as I've pointed out, those with mental disorders that use Si/Ne or Se/Ni as dominants might have a harder time being able to tell which is dom/inferior.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I actually think INFJs who put too much emphasis on the concrete and try to make Ni a concrete thing are Sensors Or thinkers wanting to be INFJs.. but I don't have to be right, of course. (jmo)..

Types that use Si are probably more likely to get Ni/Si mixed up as well, so I'd say ISJs. Si is abstract sensation... and as I've pointed out, those with mental disorders that use Si/Ne or Se/Ni as dominants might have a harder time being able to tell which is dom/inferior.
You're a rhymes with pot

·
Registered
275 Posts
make them take more tests, if they come out as more intuitive, they are intuitives. if they come out as more sensing, they are sensors.

·
Banned
200 Posts
in real life - get to know a lot of people. if someone obviously isfj says they're intj i'll start laughing because it's obvious to read people after getting to know a good portion of different people. isfp misanthrope/loner could mistype as intj, esp if they have goals and enjoy studying the sciences etc. isfp girls may mistype as infp because they're similar/ infp is more "special." isfj most often mistypes as infj or intj, for whatever reason, again infj is described as "special," and isfj shares the judgment of others that intj does. istp could mistype as intj if they're ambitious, or intp if they're loners/ interested in the arts. the extroverts i'm not sure about, they seem to mistype less than introverts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Official statistics say 39.7% of the population prefers N over S.
Even though it's supposed to be about 20% and most people type as N anyways. Something is obviously off. I really hate using self-assessments as evidence. Only reason it is even used is cause that's the best we have.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Even though it's supposed to be about 20% and most people type as N anyways. Something is obviously off. I really hate using self-assessments as evidence. Only reason it is even used is cause that's the best we have.
people just wanna be special, dontcha think?

1 - 20 of 258 Posts