Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can relate to this, how did you come to the conclusion that you were not an NF? What is your Enneagram type?

There was a time when I thought I was INFP mostly due to stereotypes. But after reading about the functions, the thought of me using Ne made no absolute sense and that was the end of my suspicions. :frustrating:

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
first i ever heard about mbti was when some place tested me, and then a year or two later someone else tested me. so in my case it doesn't apply. i would probably have picked infp too if i'd just been typing myself anecdotally, IF i had done it before i was around 26.

i just did very shallow pop form of it while doing my best to respond from that shellshocked mindset, and sure enough. a more official test might turn out differently though. my main comment from the hindsight position is there is a huge difference between caring about other people and how they feel because you do actually care, and caring because you've been raised to have stockholm syndrome towards life itself. i can't recall if the genuine form of the test did anything to distinguish that point.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Basically, my understanding of cognitive functions and of my own thought processes, and others' understanding of cognitive functions and my thought processes and their resultant feedback, have lead me to believe that Ni-Te-Fi-Se is my best fit functions order. As MBTI dichotomies typing goes I'm really best described as INXX and unsurprisingly have plenty in common with both NT and NF temperament descriptions.* Cognitive functions analysis and to an extent Socionics is my tie-breaker. I still differ from the "model INTJ" in that my Te and Fi are far more evenly balanced than is the case according to the strict framework, but it's only a framework as I see it and variation is to be expected.

As far as I've been able to determine I'm Enneagram 5, 4 wing, 514 tritype, so/sp instinct.

Hanging out on NF forums I've been told I don't communicate like an NF, I don't have the same softness they often do, but I've also been told I'm unusually "poetic" for an NT so YMMV.

*Although really, this shouldn't be too uncommon amongst even clearly typable people I don't think... people forget that at least according to Keirsey and at least as I remember it, NTs and NFs have each other's primary intelligence types as secondary, meaning that NTs are still relatively skilled in diplomacy and NFs still relatively skilled in strategy, compared to SPs and SJs.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I imagine that of the NTs, INTJs and ENTPs being tertiary feelers are more likely to identify partially with the NF temperament and even mistype as such.

Specifically in this case, I think INTJs with strong Fi can overidentify with tertiary Fi and mistype as an Fi-dominant type. I regularly see IxTJ mistype as IxFP, IxTP mistype as IxFJ, and so on. I (ENTP) strongly considered both ESFJ and ENFJ for my type due to overidentification with tertiary Fe. Recently I saw two different members flip back and forth between ENFJ and ESTP (one settled on ENFJ, the other on ESTP) - which share Se/Fe or Fe/Se.

I think this is pretty common tbh. Your top two functions are so natural, you don't even notice that you're using them. People are often more aware of using the tertiary (unlike the inferior, it's often somewhat conscious) and they overestimate how much they use it, hence mistyping as one of the types that has their tertiary as its dominant.

On those temperament tests, I always test NT>NF with NF second. I do identify somewhat with the "humanitarian" approach of the NF temperament, I just approach it with a more impartial focus on fairness/justice rather than morality as NFs might.

Enneagram is 714 (but I'm not an INTJ so I'll leave your subforum now) ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wasn't mistyped. Each time I do the test I always get INTJ but I always thought I were kind of off for an INTJ (I blamed faulty descriptions for that), more emotional, more emphatic, fluffy inside, idealistic, a bit like INFP. After I started to understand cognitive functions, there was no possibility that I'm not an INTJ. I'm strongly dominated by Ni, and do not use Fe. I'm nothing like INFJs.
I think in my 20s I just started to develop Fi and in the last 2-3 years it sky-rocked.
Then I took enneagram- 4w5 and everything is clear. I'm twisted.

The key to typing yourself is knowledge about cognitive functions because I don't see how someone can wonder if he is ISTJ or INTJ (Si vs Ni?), or even INFP vs INTJ. I think dominant Ni is very specific and only INFJs can understand. But then Te-Fi vs Fe-Ti is very different.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,447 Posts
I would not finalize your type until 25+, as this is maximum cognitive / emotional / brain development to be obtain by the human condition - thus, you will not ''flux'' + fluctuate at such a high rate.

Any ''fluctuations'' (i.e., mistyping) occurred during life / environmental factors - which I think you should assess + factor before typing. (i.e., under-extreme emotional stress / familial issues / mental illness)

Ex; (1) -->

(X) person has ''emotional'' breakdowns every other day, thus, will appear very (F) - even if this not a 'home' function. ---> Elevated sensitivity beyond agent(s) natural state.

I have typed always as INTJ™ - however, there was a ''brief'' + consistent period I typed repetitively as ISTJ™; however, I am not a sensor. I also acquired a high (Te) function. (re: ENTJ™) - I began to ''doubt'' my type, but then assessed occurence within my life, and always returned, eventually, back to my home function(s) of the INTJ™, naturally, without struggle.

Thus, I realized I wasn't ''mistyped'' per se - but rather, fluctuating + alternating ''functions'' (via) environmental elements / sky-rocketing anxiety, and utilizing other functions while compressing my ''home'' functions. Thus, ''anything'' can contribute to a flux - or perhaps, just merely, being in love or having a strong enough 'emotional' breach. Can ''alter'' these things.

However, at a 'stable' state - every legitimate test, I could not 'test' out of INTJ™, and for the most part, it is about where you return to, in your ''period'' of optimal health, relaxing state of mind, and natural functioning aura. You will naturally, fall back into your 'home' functions, even if you venture off from them from time to time. You may assess this rationally at whim.

**Disclaimer: I am not a typology expert.

Complied.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have typed always as INTJ™ - however, there was a ''brief'' + consistent period I typed repetitively as ISTJ™; however, I am not a sensor. I also acquired a high (Te) function. (re: ENTJ™) - I began to ''doubt'' my type, but then assessed occurence within my life, and always returned, eventually, back to my home function(s) of the INTJ™, naturally, without struggle.

Thus, I realized I wasn't ''mistyped'' per se - but rather, fluctuating + alternating ''functions'' (via) environmental elements / sky-rocketing anxiety, and utilizing other functions while compressing my ''home'' functions. Thus, ''anything'' can contribute to a flux - or perhaps, just merely, being in love or having a strong enough 'emotional' breach. Can ''alter'' these things.

However, at a 'stable' state - every legitimate test, I could not 'test' out of INTJ™, and for the most part, it is about where you return to, in your ''period'' of optimal health, relaxing state of mind, and natural functioning aura. You will naturally, fall back into your 'home' functions, even if you venture off from them from time to time. You may assess this rationally at whim.

**Disclaimer: I am not a typology expert.

Complied.

I am currently in such a predicament. I receive INTJ in every test I take and I am very confident that I possess Ni, Te, Fi and Se.
However I have considered ENTJ seeing as I tend to have a strong preference towards Te. Appears to be a stronger preference than my preference towards Ni. I may just appear introverted due to aspergers, social phobias and a rough past :crying: I am energised by crowds and activity, yet I am very uncomfortable in one on one and small group social settings.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,447 Posts
I am currently in such a predicament. I receive INTJ in every test I take and I am very confident that I possess Ni, Te, Fi and Se.
However I have considered ENTJ seeing as I tend to have a strong preference towards Te. Appears to be a stronger preference than my preference towards Ni. I may just appear introverted due to aspergers, social phobias and a rough past :crying: I am energised by crowds and activity, yet I am very uncomfortable in one on one and small group social settings.
I subconsiously hold (XNTJ); as I have considered I may just be a ''handicapped'' ENTJ™ (?) or either a very high-strong INTJ™; but my (Te) function can be very strong, and still have some type of (Ni) going on .. (?) thus I questioned a ''growing'' ENTJ™ that has yet strengthened the functions .. (?), however, I do not ''fit in'' with other ENTJ's, and feel more comfortable with INTJ™ - as I always return here (?) but I feel sometimes, more high-strong than other INTJ, but not quite ENTJ.

I do not feel ''drained'' by crowds, per se, but not energized either, but I am exceedingly comfortable & do not mind being around people - but still need a break (i.e., large alone time), and do not have problem(s) ''adjusting'' to social settings, - however, I am not extroverted. Thus, I considered some type of ''non-shy'' / assertive introvert .. (?)

However, I am sure it is one of these two; but I still relate highly / more to the INTJ™ - as I still have them as ''home'' functions; I am about 80% sure with INTJ™, however still possess ENTJ™ in the back of my thoughts, as I can easily appear that way w/out knowing.

I have never received any (NF) typing - however; only ENTJ / ISTJ.

o___O ?!?!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, my problem when I was typing myself at the time was when I went through severe mental health issues which prompted me to own the INFP label. Of course my knowledge of the functions was more limited back then and I read the descriptions, stereotypes and all. I knew I used Fi but there was no way in hell that it was my dominant function even if it was pretty high for an INTJ. After much self-reflection I just came to the conclusion that my higher Fi had to do with being abused and feeling neglected growing up.

·
Meh.
8,050 Posts
First time I tested via a FB test I tested INFJ, didn't know much about the cognitive functions at all and found some ways to justify that typing internally. It was in a time when a lot of emotional events were taking place in my life, and probably at a point where Fi was just starting to really devlop, so I guess I did feel ok about the feeler typing.

It wasn't until I found PerC, became a member and started posting on the INFJ section that I realised I definitely was not an INFJ. Based on interactions with other INFJs (disregarding the fact that there might be mistypes around) and on additional literature that now was available. I reached out to an old work friend who had become an MBTI practitioner and once we started discussing he suggested INTJ to me, which seemed to fit a lot better. Having learned much more about the cognitive functions since, I haven't really ever doubted that since.

For me it really worked to be able to include certain functions by excluding others. I personally find the descriptions of Ni/Ne quite vague at times and it was an easier route to establish I definitely didn't favour Si and lead with an introverted perceiving function.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, I always reliably tested as INTJ since I was about 16 but 9 years later my test results became more ambiguous, leaning slightly towards INFJ. I was also confused because I am social scientist and bent on ending all kinds of oppression in society, which is typically associated with INFJ/INFP types. When I learned more about cognitive functions, I knew that I am INTJ who's just learning empathy skill, FINALLY!
I think that testing (and basing your type solely on the 4 letter descriptions) later in life can result in some confusion since, accoring to cognitive functions theory, we learn to incorporate our tetriary function when we're adults. For INTJ it means that we may start to be a little bit more like feeling types (essentially we stop fitting the robotic emotionless INTJ stereotype), which could possibly result in mis-typing as feeler type.
Also being a woman may not be helpful for determining one's type, since rational thinking is associated more with men and as women we are taught to be more openly emotional and to understand emotions better. Which again may result in mis-typing because men and women are socialized differently when it comes to thinking/feeling.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also being a woman may not be helpful for determining one's type, since rational thinking is associated more with men and as women we are taught to be more openly emotional and to understand emotions better. Which again may result in mis-typing because men and women are socialized differently when it comes to thinking/feeling.
This also.

In the back of my mind I thought that if it was the rarest type for women, then statistically I could've been wrong about identifying with this type.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yup I've been having the same issue. Really I'm confident with type INxx.

I think partly, I am in an emotional period in life that is not normal for me. I am more sensitive to horrible events triggering a 'this is so wrong' response that I am not used too. I am more sensitive to human suffering and feel as though empathy is kicking in. Not that I haven't been previously empathetic, more I could intellectually understand rather than feel it to the core. I am also in a relationship so I am mentally having to be more aware of others than I may have been.
This is not a normal state, and started around age 20 with my awareness increasing (23 now).

I don't think this means I am a feeler, nor perhaps an NF type. I think perhaps I am developing my feeling function and perhaps I am in a more stressful period of life.

What adds to the confusion, some people have typed me as NF, and strongly believe INFP. Others have seen more thinking and another cant see anything but Ti. All this adds extra confusion. I then have the same mannerisms as another person I know IRL and he tested INTJ. Another friend has typed me INTJ and believes he is knowledgable on the subject. Actually all are knowledgable on the subject, yet the conclusion differ.

·
Meh.
8,050 Posts
Adding to my previous post and after reading the enneagram questions: I am not set on my type but my closest guess so far has been 8w9. I think Enneagram typing can really throw off an MBTI typing if you don't really know how to separate the two. Personally I think there's also a bit of a myth that certain MBTI/Ennea combis are impossible. I think there are likely and unlikely combinations but I don't see how types can be mutually exclusive, rather perhaps coming to a conflicting personality.

A lot of the times you see T types doubting their type or typing as F because "Well I've got feels."

MBTI doesn't necessarily have to do with having or valueing emotions; it's about how you process information and in what order of preference. F functions aren't about emotions, they're about value sets and whether you derrive them via an internal process (assisted or overridden by an oppposite T function) or via an external process (again, assisted by or etc). 'Being emotional' has nothing to do per se with being an F or a T type, however an F type might come across more emotional as they prefer acting on their values rather than impersonal logic (note that no type has a lack of either, you just have a preference for one over the other).

Enneagram is, at least for me, a much more difficult system to determine your type in as it deals with your basic fears and it takes a lot of self knowledge and honesty to get to a point where you can determine what is at the core of your fears. It goes quite a bit deeper and is easier 'diagnosed' perhaps through understanding your knee-jerk reactions. Enneagram takes a lot more self reflection.

[gets off soapbox]

·
Registered
955 Posts
i think your personality typing has a lot to do with your current state vs your "normal" emotional and mental states. ive typed ISTJ, INFJ on several occasions noting specifically the trials and strains on my life at that time. my state of mind was even questionable at some points, and 2 times i took the test specifically was nearing the end of a relationship which was going sour over several months.

(felt a bit dickish asking her to take personality tests with me right after a huge fight, but i did it anyway. FOR DATA!!!) and noticed i couldnt type as an INTJ if i tried. at some point i think i even got an ENxx in there somewhere and you KNOW that cant be right (lelz)

i was looking into the idea of shadow functions and i really think thats a plausible conclusion that can be drawn as to why you can "mistype" as people call it. when emotionally/mentally unstable you ARE in fact using different functions than your dominant as people would normally refer to not feeling like "oneself"

to be clear, what im saying is, like with any other data processing system (flowcharts would be a great example), if the data going in is skewed in some form, the results would be skewed as well.

that's my guess

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
MBTI doesn't necessarily have to do with having or valueing emotions; it's about how you process information and in what order of preference. F functions aren't about emotions, they're about value sets and whether you derrive them via an internal process (assisted or overridden by an oppposite T function) or via an external process (again, assisted by or etc). 'Being emotional' has nothing to do per se with being an F or a T type, however an F type might come across more emotional as they prefer acting on their values rather than impersonal logic (note that no type has a lack of either, you just have a preference for one over the other).
I think this is definitely something important to keep in mind. Emotion =/= feeling type. Emotion is our response to stimuli. The type and intensity level help to determine when a decision needs to be made. Its impossible for someone to make a decision with absolutely no emotional attachment regardless of type.

I do think however a thinking type is going to spend time identifying what the emotion is and what to do with it. In contrast a feeler is going to look into what the emotion means, what worth it holds in that moment.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Do we evolve to adapt to the challenges that life throws at us?

Or do we simply become more of what we already are?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts