Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mistyped as the type they disintegrate to before? I'd imagine this is fairly common. If so, how did you realize that you were your true core type rather than the one you disintegrated to? Especially curious if you are a 9 or a 6, but am also curious about the other types.

For those unfamiliar with disintegration paths:
disintigration.jpg

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
I have a lot of qualities of two when "disintegrating:" this childish seductiveness (I cringe at that word though), clinginess (could be unhealthy SX in general), loss of boundaries or not respecting someone else's boundaries, this obvious vulnerability and desire to be loved. That's all I can think of right now. I always knew I was a 4 though, at least, that type hits at the heart of some of my core issues, because I behaved like an unhealthy 4 more than 2. I don't think 2s are as likely to give up their inner desire to be loved, although it's kind of obvious. But I vocalized it, repeated it, and it became - and still is - an obvious part of my image and persona. I cling to my shadow because I believe there is something "wrong with me," and for the life of me I can't force myself to un-identify with that part of me. The only way out is integration. All of this focus on flaws and infusing that into my image screamed more 4 than 2.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm a 9 and I've played with the idea of being a 6 multiple times. Sure, I take on some select traits of 6 at certain times in my life, but the key is to look at general trends throughout your whole life. Like, when I'm feeling super 6ish, other people can't really see that in me at all. This is especially true if I ask my parents or my friends who I knew me when I was young.

Other people's input about you can be super helpful if they've known you for a long time. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm pretty sure that I'm a 9 and not a 6. My parents and friends don't know what the Enneagram is, but if I asked them to describe me both when I was young and now, 9ish behaviors would be abundant. :p 6ish themes never came out of their mouths.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
Well, 1 was my very first Enneagram type :D

But I don't think it was because of disintegration, just not very good understanding of the types. I think I was idealizing 1, as well, which makes sense in an odd way for my disintegration type, but it's clear that acting like a 1 is more or less acting against the grain for me

·
Registered
897 Posts
As a depressed teenager I was mostly torn between One, Four or Five. Never would have thought I was a Seven in a million years. Would have barely recognised the me of today, except the way I write and what types of things I think about.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Has anyone mistyped as the type they disintegrate to before? I'd imagine this is fairly common. If so, how did you realize that you were your true core type rather than the one you disintegrated to? Especially curious if you are a 9 or a 6, but am also curious about the other types.

For those unfamiliar with disintegration paths:
View attachment 747586
I'm a 9. I can't say that I ever mistyped as a 6, because upon sifting through information on the types, that of type 6 was more of a description of some of my unhealthy behaviors than something I mistook myself as. Personally, my disintegration follows a more counterphobic than phobic approach, which caused me to mistype as a 2, as a result of thinking that behavior was a result of a disintegration to 8.

Reactions: Krayfish

·
Registered
642 Posts
I do take on distinctly 7-ish traits when disintegrating and distincty 8-ish traits when self-actualizing but in neither case are they strong enough for me to mistake them as my primary type.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has happened to me for a while actually. I initially and up until recently thought I was a 4w5 while I was in an unhealthy state, while in actuality I'm a 1w9.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i was 100% belief i was 8w9 so/sx but this year ive been disintegrating a lot due to a breakup... as i look inward i am starting to consider 3w4. for the first time in a long time, i am unsure about a lot of things. weird.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was 100% belief i was 8w9 so/sx but this year ive been disintegrating a lot due to a breakup... as i look inward i am starting to consider 3w4. for the first time in a long time, i am unsure about a lot of things. weird.
If you're considering 3w4 you should probably consider cp 6 as a core type as well. 6 disintegrates to 3 and cp 6 is often mistaken for type 8.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
The VERY first time I ever took an enneagram test, I got 2. I was initially pleased until I read further and left it alone for a few years, rofl. I was also desperately unhealthy and unstable with my identity/self-worth issues back then.

Then I got back into it and tested as a 5, also wrong. But yeah.

·
Registered
ENFp 7w6 9w1 2w3 so/sx
157 Posts
I don't think I could ever mistake myself for a 1 even though I've definitely felt the effects of disintegration. 5, maybe.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't know about disintegrating but I'd say in the many years I was unhealthy, I looked like a totally different type to what I was. Not just ennea type, but MBTI type and instinctual variant.

It's weird, I was convinced I was a 4w5 for the first year or so I discovered the enneagram, and I thought I was sx/so for most of this year. It's pretty clear now, when becoming healthier and self aware, that I am a 5w4 sx/sp

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I've typed as a 9 core, but that was quite a long time ago. It was pretty easy for me to figure out that I wasn't a 9 once I started reading more about enneagram. I don't relate to the core fear at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts