Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last 3 hours cleaning up my room. I had loud music playing for the first 20 minutes and then I realized that it might be better to turn the music off in order to be more "present." I think that worked, because I then felt a bit weighted down and gloomy.
Whenever this happens, I can never identify the source of that stupid anxiety. I can't think of anything I should be feeling bad about, so it seems like a baseless feeling. The hard part of this is I can never decide if feeling like this has any utility or whether I should just accept it. The fear is that if I just "accept" it, I'll feel like this forever. :unsure:

This song basically sums it up:
Does this happen to anybody else?

*Side note: In searching for a title, I was trying to find an appropriate adjective for that uncomfortable sadness that Sevens can get. The word "elusive" popped into mind, so I Google searched it for a proper definition but I started thinking about a quote from Starwars, Episode I where Obi-Wan says, "I sense something... elusive...," long story short, I found out that "I've got a bad feeling about this." is used in every single Starwars movie.:tongue:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Whenever this happens, I can never identify the source of that stupid anxiety. I can't think of anything I should be feeling bad about, so it seems like a baseless feeling. The hard part of this is I can never decide if feeling like this has any utility or whether I should just accept it. The fear is that if I just "accept" it, I'll feel like this forever. :unsure:
This is not, in fact possible. Being afraid takes energy - a resource that will dwindle away, leaving you feeling tired eventually. It WILL end, although that length of time may vary. Whatever the reason that initiated it (and I may be wrong), I suspect that your biggest current fear is of fear itself.

4 simple steps to end a panic attack

^ If it starts again read that. May or may not help. (regarding the coping statements - seek the truth / reality of the situation, don't use em to deny anything. Your feelings are real. All you do is control them.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not, in fact possible. Being afraid takes energy - a resource that will dwindle away, leaving you feeling tired eventually. It WILL end, although that length of time may vary. Whatever the reason that initiated it (and I may be wrong), I suspect that your biggest current fear is of fear itself.

4 simple steps to end a panic attack

^ If it starts again read that. May or may not help. (regarding the coping statements - seek the truth / reality of the situation, don't use em to deny anything. Your feelings are real. All you do is control them.)
Choice, thanks for the reply!
I think I might have been unclear in my first post. I was attempting to describe one of the many manifestations of "boredom" that I experience. I generally feel fine when I am being entertained or distracted by something: class, YouTube, exercise, music, etc. My experiment was to see how I felt when these sources of stimulation were gone. Interestingly enough, I did feel pretty lousy. Given that I am pretty much always positive, this led me to the point of the topic: "Why does my heart feel so bad?"

Enneagram Type 7 Summary said:
As long as they can keep their attention occupied with positive expectations, Sevens can hold their pain and anxiety at bay. They do not want to deal with their anxiety or examine its causes in their lives because doing so draws them inward, making them more anxious. Extroversion pulls them outward, toward the environment, repressing anxiety, at least temporarily.
This is exactly what I noticed. When I stopped distracting myself with music and my light-speed mind, all I could think is, "Well, this sucks." :tongue:
I was eating dinner alone the other night, and I decided to try the experiment again. The result was goofy and unexpected: I was just really thankful that somebody made that waffle! (yeah, I had breakfast for dinner! :D)

To summarize, I think Sevens can experience a wider range of emotion by attempting to "slow down."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Perhaps you, like me, exist on that physical plane so very much, that you pick up on physical clues around you...the ones that have an affect on humans with physical awareness. Many people do a seasonal progression, because of the connection, when the earth sleeps in winter, the connected human will slumber to some degree. If your body is doing something that your mind doesn't understand or want it to do, it will cause anxiety. A not quite pinpointable anxiety. Free floating is what they call it. Free floating anxiety, that that the body does, without known prompting, that is both uncomfortable and unstoppable, because the causes isn't known.
Serotonin levels in the brain drop with light changes, both angle of light entry to the eye, and level of intensity thru the atmosphere. Heavy, to me, doesn't mean 'sad' it means 'low energy'. Perhaps you are more earth child and you are mirroring it's seasons. I certainly do. I cannot sleep in spring, I cannot fully wake in winter. It's a connection with season because I live in contact with all the elements outside me so much.
If your body is doing a low energy hibernating thing on you, and your mind doesn't understand this, maybe it's causing the disconnect and subsequent anxiety. It's worth a look. Seasonal Affective Disorder...also known as hibernating style :)
I have it.
Just in case it's not a '7' lack of activity thing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts