Personality Cafe banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Someone submitted to funkymbtifiction Alex as ISFJ... Their reasonating as following:

Introverted Sensing (Si): Alex possesses a great deal of knowledge and uses it in need. When her father pretends to be blind, she quickly comes up with an explanation for his blindness using the information she’s stored, and when she sees Haley and Manny talking, Haley with her underwear in her hands, she makes a comment in which she compares the situation to her knowledge of the history of Thanksgiving. When visiting a therapist, Alex is able to recall specific even from her past that has helped shaped the way she presently views herself. Alex remarks on the way she’s always been and admits that she does certain things simply because she is used to it or because she’s always been that way, and she comments when somebody else behaves in a way that she’s not used to seeing them behave.

Extroverted Feeling (Fe): Although to an extent, Alex cares about what other people think of her. At times, she wants so badly to fit in or to be attractive to boys that she heeds advice from her sister Haley, whose opinions she usually does not value at all. Even though she enjoys seeing her brother and sister in trouble, she is constantly looking out for them and even confesses to smoking a cigarette, which she did not do, so that her family can celebrate Christmas. Alex is very expressive and it’s not difficult to know how she feels about something, even if she is trying to hide it or if she doesn’t know herself.

Introverted Thinking (Ti): Alex notices when her family is being illogical and she’s not afraid to point it out. She has a sharp tongue and is rather cynical, questioning almost everything. Alex is extremely insightful and she always understands exactly what is going on. She is known as the smart one in her family and frequently remarks on the irrational decisions made by everybody else.

Extroverted Intuition (Ne): Alex doesn’t have a specific goal in life until much later on in the series, but she works hard in order to ensure that she has a bright future and that she doesn’t end up like her sister Haley. She is able to make connections between specific events from her past and her current emotions and behavior, but under the guidance of a therapist. Alex always thinks about the negative consequences of a decision before she acts.
Okay, I can see it but... Te? It has to be there, no?

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I'm trying to look through the scant YouTube clips they have of Alex and see if there's any Fe.

I just got a strong Cersei Lannister vibe from dear Claire here

But other than that, I'm having a hard time. I think the person who submitted to FMF might have a point though. She does to out of her way to try and fit in... but can't Te/Fi do that too? Alex seems straightforward like a Te user, especially in the later seasons, but... Hmm. I think we should consider Fe for her.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I agree with the FMF submitter on this, maybe because I recognize much of myself in her, but I don't think I'm the person to call the shots because I'm only in the third season and Alex is like fourteen years old now haha.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I'm trying to look through the scant YouTube clips they have of Alex and see if there's any Fe.

I just got a strong Cersei Lannister vibe from dear Claire here

But other than that, I'm having a hard time. I think the person who submitted to FMF might have a point though. She does to out of her way to try and fit in... but can't Te/Fi do that too? Alex seems straightforward like a Te user, especially in the later seasons, but... Hmm. I think we should consider Fe for her.
Oh my god, Claire what are you doing??? xD So mean. Anyway, could be Fe, could be Te. Don't know.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I agree with the FMF submitter on this, maybe because I recognize much of myself in her, but I don't think I'm the person to call the shots because I'm only in the third season and Alex is like fourteen years old now haha.
Yeah... I think early on she could be Fe - she's just a sweet little girl who likes to read a lot, right? - but now that I'm in the idk what season where she's graduating... A lot more characterization, a lot more of her bad side shown. She's more frequently bossy, selfish, and stressed than she is a victimized and left-out kid now.

Reactions: INFJalltheway

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah... I think early on she could be Fe - she's just a sweet little girl who likes to read a lot, right? - but now that I'm in the idk what season where she's graduating... A lot more characterization, a lot more of her bad side shown. She's more frequently bossy, selfish, and stressed than she is a victimized and left-out kid now.
Okay, I guess her bossiness might be a sign of her being a SJ?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Perhaps a sudden development of Ti that accured during adolescence? Though it looks so Te. She's a TV character after all, not very consistent. ISFJ shifting into ISTJ makes sense.

Okay, I guess her bossiness might be a sign of her being a SJ?
While I'm a perfect example of a bossy SJ, many SJs aren't bossy at all :D

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Perhaps a sudden development of Ti that accured during adolescence? Though it looks so Te. She's a TV character after all, not very consistent. ISFJ shifting into ISTJ makes sense.

While I'm a perfect example of a bossy SJ, many SJs aren't bossy at all :D
Yep to that last point. My best friend / room mate is ISFJ, and she's nothing like Alex. Soft and sweet, sometimes "bossy" but even when she feels a need to apologize for her bossiness, she's not really being bossy. In any case, she's nothing like Alex.

I can't say I don't relate to Alex, but again I think that's because I have anxiety and because we're both academically geared and socially awkward Js more than anything cognitively.

Maybe it could be Ti? I dunno. She does get very expressive and emotional when discussing feelings and things, but most the time she's just drowned in her thinking, static, cranky? Could be an ISFJ using her Ti too much? Hmm. Food for thought. I'll keep it in mind when I think my family watches it tonight.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Yep to that last point. My best friend / room mate is ISFJ, and she's nothing like Alex. Soft and sweet, sometimes "bossy" but even when she feels a need to apologize for her bossiness, she's not really being bossy. In any case, she's nothing like Alex.

I can't say I don't relate to Alex, but again I think that's because I have anxiety and because we're both academically geared and socially awkward Js more than anything cognitively.

Maybe it could be Ti? I dunno. She does get very expressive and emotional when discussing feelings and things, but most the time she's just drowned in her thinking, static, cranky? Could be an ISFJ using her Ti too much? Hmm. Food for thought. I'll keep it in mind when I think my family watches it tonight.
I watched the episode where the whole family goes to the old movie theater and Alex and Hayle talk how they're gonna be friends when Alex'll attend college... Might be Fe. The way Alex go about talking to Hayley does seem Fe. Tell us your conclusions after you watch the episode!

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I watched the episode where the whole family goes to the old movie theater and Alex and Hayle talk how they're gonna be friends when Alex'll attend college... Might be Fe. The way Alex go about talking to Hayley does seem Fe. Tell us your conclusions after you watch the episode!
Alright!

Also, have you seen the episode where Alex is at CalTech or something on the tour? Her flirting with the guy was relatable (although she was a bit of an arrogant show off in a way I have only been when I was like... in elementary school.). Then again, I think that awkward flirting could be a universally relatable girl thing.

Reactions: penny lane

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Alright!

Also, have you seen the episode where Alex is at CalTech or something on the tour? Her flirting with the guy was relatable (although she was a bit of an arrogant show off in a way I have only been when I was like... in elementary school.). Then again, I think that awkward flirting could be a universally relatable girl thing.
I don't think so... I'm not an avid watcher like I used to be. However, I think for a girl who's introvert and inexperienced she's gonna make mistakes with flirting haha

·
Registered
697 Posts
The season finale was good. Claire was trying to find the perfect graduation gift for Alex but different members of the family kept one upping her. Then Alex told her she wanted to give her mom a gift not the other way around. Alex told Claire she had already done everything for her and got her to where he is now and invited her mom to go to Europe with her(the gift from her granddad).

I'm not sure what that has to do with type but I liked that they would share that trip together.

I know she has only been in a few episodes but does anyone have an idea about Mitchell and Claire's mom Dede? I was thinking ENFP maybe.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I loved the season finale. Also, I think this proved me that Alex is a Si dom. She's taking her mother to the trip and freaks out because of the unknown ("have you seen what happens to teenage girls in Europe? Can you imagine dad getting a call like that?"- lol, inferior Ne in action. She's also referencing a movie haha)

·
Registered
697 Posts
IKR? Haley would have a completely different reaction to getting that trip and who she would take and why.It actually reminds me of my mother. She would think like Alex and go right to the worst thing that could happen .Of course I have concerns about that too.But it was interesting how Alex had thought it all out that quickly.

Yes I can picture Phil getting that call-scary and hilarious.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Alex fits the middle child syndrome well.She's not unloved but she's often overlooked or left to handle things on her own because she can.Like in Under Pressure Phil said she's like a self-cleaning oven.Then later in the episode Claire finds out how much pressure Alex is under and it's a relief for Alex. I don't understand why there is not more of Alex and Phil together.I would like to see more of that.

Like Gray Romantic I see the Si dom and Ne inferior in Alex in the season finale.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know this is old, but im watching it right now and im pretty sure alex is intj. Watching her interact with her family, is like watching myself. Its actually pretty eye opening.

Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
64 Posts
i'm in the same boat as you i was watching and all i could think of is how she reacts to the other family members is so similar to how i interact with my family although i'm holding out on typing her for the moment since it's very early for me since i'm only in season one but i can already see how she's an I and probably a T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Phil is definitely guided to much by his feelings to be an ENTP. Or then he is a super sensitive ENTP, if those exist ;).

In my opinion he is definitely a EXFP. I am pretty sure that he is an ENFP.

I can somehow relate him though and love all his crazy ideas!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Okay I'm doubting some of my typings! I hope this post won't seem too muddled.

Gloria -I know most of us have typed her ESFJ but I can maybe see why some have typed her ESFP. Her appearance is very important to her. She can be very blunt (not that Fe can't of course it can ) but I sometimes feel like it's more Te bluntness.Tonight I was watching the episode where they all had to dress up like a Norman Rockwell painting for one of Alex's school projects .Gloria was so jealous of Jay's friendship with a waitress and but she didn't see it until Manny pointed it out to her. That of course is just one example and some episodes she may seem more Fe and others more Te but doesn't ever seem to look for outside approval like Fe might.

For enneagrams

Jay 9w8?
Gloria 8w7
Manny 4w3
Mitchell 3w4 -I use to think he was 6w5 but would a 6 change jobs so often? Phil fretted over that more than Mitchell does.Plus he and Cam try to keep up with the Jones's in a way
Cam 2w3
Lily 7w8?
Claire 1w2
Phil 6w7?
Haley 3w2
Alex 5w6
Luke 7w8?

Andy I haven't tried to type yet and I need to catch up on some of the recent episodes but I did like the Christmas episode.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts