Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A place for nerds to talk about their favorite molecules and WHY. You can include drugs here, but at least state why you like them aside from, "it gets meh fucked up, nigga!!!!!"

I'll start (was a chemical I wanted to research in PhD but decided academia was for the fuckin' birds):

Acetylcholine
Quite possible one of the most ubiquitous neurotransmitters of virtually every species. In fact, a whole line of dangerous chemicals (organophosphates--think Sarin in Syria) actually inhibit its breakdown since it is an excitatory chemical. They do this by blocking acetylcholiseesterase (that's a big ass mofo with multiple functional groups and protein folds, so let's not do this one). It is so beautifully simple, yet to powerful to our cognition and virtually any other nervous function.

What's yours, bitches?

Least favorite for shits and/or giggles:

·
Forum Conspiracy Theorist
11,239 Posts
I think a better question would be who doesn't drink...

BTW for those who don't get the image: C2H5OH is ethanol: It gets you drunk. Not to be confused with methanol which also gets you a little drunk, but unfortunately very blind and very dead.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a better question would be who doesn't drink...

BTW for those who don't get the image: C2H5OH is ethanol: It gets you drunk. Not to be confused with methanol which also gets you a little drunk, but unfortunately very blind and very dead.
I don't unless it's with company and they kind of urge me too, just for the sake of it. But nah, it sucks

Favorite molecule, please? and why? :unsure:

Another cool (not really) example of acetylcholine profusion is when you spay a big with bug spray. The pyrenthoids actually diffuse through their systems much more readily than humans, but if you notice--the effects of them are near identical to that of Sarin gas on humans (shake/tremor to death)

·
Registered
390 Posts
LOL this thread!

Hmm... Well, I am a fan of artemisinin, since it works so well against malaria. Of course, now there's some resistance to it but it's still cool. <_<;

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
That's my man methane.

I think this guy is the future of energy (unless fusion ever gets off the ground; recent reports say it's showing promise). Methane is the number one component of natural gas; well over 99%. The remaining fractional percentage is made up mostly of more complex hydrocarbons (propane, butane, ethane) and occasionally sulfur-containing compounds, which give natural gas that delightful fart smell.

If you get some leftover food and yard debris together in a sealed tank (anaerobic digester) and let them rot, the gas you get off the top (called "biogas") is 70-80% methane, 20-30% carbon dioxide, and a few fractional percentage points of sulfur-containing compounds. If you filter out the CO2 (there are a variety of ways to do this), you're left with biomethane: a 1:1 substitute for natural gas.

I think biogas is the single most accessible form of alternative energy out there. Leftover food, blackwater, yard debris; take it all, throw it into a sealed tank (it's important that no oxygen be present), and skim the gas off the top. Even without purification, it can be burned in stoves and furnaces; purification only becomes important in complex devices like gas engines, as the sulfur and CO2 can be corrosive and/or cause composite buildups to form.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Hm, I have some favorite molecules, but I had to research a bit more of this one for an organic chem homework:

From what I recall, it's used for synthesis of different drugs and it's present as an structural motif of molecules like camptothecin, which is used as an anti-cancer drug.

Bonus track: Carborane acid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts