Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents make to much for me to get scholarships based on need, but don't make enough to easily pay for 2 kids to go to school. Any good ideas on how to help finance college with out going into major debt? Or any money tips or ideas at all?

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
My parents make to much for me to get scholarships based on need, but don't make enough to easily pay for 2 kids to go to school. Any good ideas on how to help finance college with out going into major debt? Or any money tips or ideas at all?
Military service. That's the only way I know of.

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Get scholarships based on merit. Also you could get financial aid, which is just that. It aids you, not quite taking out a huge loan, since your parents can pay for some of it, but it definitely can help.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get scholarships based on merit. Also you could get financial aid, which is just that. It aids you, not quite taking out a huge loan, since your parents can pay for some of it, but it definitely can help.
Yeah my parents make to much even for a little of financial aid. I can do the merit one, I missed the deadline for this year though which sucks. Thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Besides merit scholarships, looks like you're going to have to take on some loans yourself if your parents can't help you out.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
An idea or two...

Look for co-op programs where you may alternate school terms with work terms. Where I went to university, many students would take this kind of option as a way to help pay for semesters and when they graduated they may have had up to 2 years of work experience to go with the degree itself.

Don't forget to go to the schools financial aid section and see if there are specific scholarships that you may apply as well as if there are any government programs that may help. In my university days, if I had maintained an 80% average I could have gotten up to $10,000 from the Canadian federal government for studying Math and Computer Science though in the end I only got $3750 since it only lasted a year and a half before my average dropped too much to keep that scholarship.

Online Donations Fight Student Debt at ScholarMatch, SponsorMyDegree is another idea if you are Ok with doing some more digging and trying to get sponsorship for what you want to study.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look for co-op programs where you may alternate school terms with work terms. Where I went to university, many students would take this kind of option as a way to help pay for semesters and when they graduated they may have had up to 2 years of work experience to go with the degree itself.

Don't forget to go to the schools financial aid section and see if there are specific scholarships that you may apply as well as if there are any government programs that may help. In my university days, if I had maintained an 80% average I could have gotten up to $10,000 from the Canadian federal government for studying Math and Computer Science though in the end I only got $3750 since it only lasted a year and a half before my average dropped too much to keep that scholarship.

Online Donations Fight Student Debt at ScholarMatch, SponsorMyDegree is another idea if you are Ok with doing some more digging and trying to get sponsorship for what you want to study.
Ooooh! :laughing: Thank you! I will look into all of that!

·
Registered
INFP
1,280 Posts
I know some people get married for scholarship here. Maybe it's the same where you are.

Maybe you could sign some kind of contract to insure divorce after a certain time with a person in the same situation as you and divorce after your studies are over.

And since it's not a real wedding you can get married with whoever: tranny, man, woman. lol

It's a bit radical but, if it's your only choice and it can get you the level of schooling you want..

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know some people get married for scholarship here. Maybe it's the same where you are.

Maybe you could sign some kind of contract to insure divorce after a certain time with a person in the same situation as you and divorce after your studies are over.

And since it's not a real wedding you can get married with whoever: tranny, man, woman. lol

It's a bit radical but, if it's your only choice and it can get you the level of schooling you want..
Wait where are you from?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in a similar predicament. My college education is $50,000/year and my parents make too much to qualify for financial aid.

I applied to a few independent merit scholarships, and I recommend you do the same. Even if you missed the deadline this year, you can apply next year. Ask your (ex?) counselor about any local scholarships for which you qualify. Also look into possible company scholarships (assuming your parents work for any companies).

Also, I think TAing (teacher's assistant) is a good idea once you know enough to do it. Part time jobs, if they're feasible, will probably be the largest source of income. Look into research programs that will pay you (I know, at my school, students can get paid to conduct independent research initiatives or to help a professor with his research).

I'm not sure if this will apply to you, but I'm also looking into investing in stocks. If you're willing to learn how and if your parents are willing to give you a bit of money to start a portfolio, that could translate into a handsome sum by the time you graduate.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in a similar predicament. My college education is $50,000/year and my parents make too much to qualify for financial aid.

I applied to a few independent merit scholarships, and I recommend you do the same. Even if you missed the deadline this year, you can apply next year. Ask your (ex?) counselor about any local scholarships for which you qualify. Also look into possible company scholarships (assuming your parents work for any companies).

Also, I think TAing (teacher's assistant) is a good idea once you know enough to do it. Part time jobs, if they're feasible, will probably be the largest source of income. Look into research programs that will pay you (I know, at my school, students can get paid to conduct independent research initiatives or to help a professor with his research).

I'm not sure if this will apply to you, but I'm also looking into investing in stocks. If you're willing to learn how and if your parents are willing to give you a bit of money to start a portfolio, that could translate into a handsome sum by the time you graduate.
50,000? Crap, where are you going? Yeah I have a part time job and also getting ready to start investing in stocks. But I will look into the rest, thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
ENTJwillruletheworld said:
50,000? Crap, where are you going? Yeah I have a part time job and also getting ready to start investing in stocks. But I will look into the rest, thanks!
I'm going to Yale. Where are you going? And I'm always glad to help a fellow desperate college student out!

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I paid for most of college and about half of law school through merit scholarships.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
To be honest my college really doesn't offer that many merit scholarships.
You don't have to get them through your school. There are plenty of sites like fastweb.com that I use to find new scholarships. It can be hard to find scholarships if you're not a minority but it's not impossible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts