Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you care about money?

For me, I don't really put an importance on money or wealth. I'm with or without it, that being said I hate paying bills.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I look at money as a thing I would try to make just for some fun, to see if I can actually do it. But money is really not important to me.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I want money so that I could buy anything if I need without looking at the price tag (okay, who are we kidding?) but I hate buying things unless necessary. I'm utilitarian but I do like money, just for the sake of security, perhaps.

That said, even if I were the richest, I'd live an okay life. Get the fastest internet in the world and stuff like that, perhaps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its a pretty vague question but I'll have a go anyway. Well, I don't want to be rich, I'd be happy with an average income that could support my family and fund my hobbies. I don't care about money enough to devote my life to relentlessly pursuing it. I see it as a means to an end, not the end itself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the vagueness! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the same way. My friends date guys that make lot of money. I don't think money = security but sadly my friends do. They try to make me feel bad for not spending my money but they can go to hell lol.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My friends date guys that make lot of money. I don't think money = security but sadly my friends do. They try to make me feel bad for not spending my money but they can go to hell lol.
It's sad when people put too much focus on money. It really doesn't get you anything truly valuable. What you get with money just slowly withers away.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's sad when people put too much focus on money. It really doesn't get you anything truly valuable. What you get with money just slowly withers away.
This is true and I try to tell them that but they never listen. Oh well, I'll see in a couple of years. It's heartbreaking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry about the vagueness! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the same way. My friends date guys that make lot of money. I don't think money = security but sadly my friends do. They try to make me feel bad for not spending my money but they can go to hell lol.
If anything, good health and a strong sense of purpose and/or self esteem = security. With these you can recover from anything life throws at you. Or they may not equal security, but are I think they'd definitely help give you a sense of security more than anything.

You can be rich, be without those three things you're not really comfortable, you'll still be sort of "lost" in the world. I know plenty of people like that. They're not happy.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
This is true and I try to tell them that but they never listen. Oh well, I'll see in a couple of years. It's heartbreaking.
These are usually people who grew up with very little money. Sooner or later they're realize that it's just a new set of problems they signed up for.

I've been with money and without it, and I know people with far more than they need. Money only equals security to a certain tipping point, past which it's actually a giant fucking headache. Having accumulated wealth makes a lot of things possible without limits, but very few people come out on the other side of that unscathed.

Do not want.

If I'm honest, I only get preoccupied with money when I'm feeling especially misanthropic and like "fuck everyone, you all deserve the pwning I'm going to give you that will line my pockets"... Like that guy from There Will be Blood.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I view it as something that is necessary in order to maintain security and autonomy (non-cardboard box place to live, food from somewhere other than a dumpster, etc) and to pursue whatever interests I might have. Accumulating wealth for the purpose of accumulating wealth doesn't appeal to me, nor does becoming overly rich. I've typically lived below my means and am content with whatever level of income it takes to provide for myself and allow me to pursue anything else I'd like to.

If I'm honest, I only get preoccupied with money when I'm feeling especially misanthropic and like "fuck everyone, you all deserve the pwning I'm going to give you that will line my pockets"... Like that guy from There Will be Blood.
Do you get back at them by drinking their milkshakes?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Money is very important to me. I believe the only way to be happy is to be free, not secure. I believe the way to get off this plantation is to have monetary resources available. I do not want to work...at all. I don't want to depend on social security and Medicaid when I am old. I want to escape the rat race of the middle class, but I do not want the lifestyle and the attitude of the uber rich either. Money is not the end game for me. I want to trade money for experiences, memories, and most importantly, to take care of my family and friends. Money also brings the freedom to travel, freedom to learn, and the freedom to do absolutely nothing if I feel like it. I look at the people around me and see that they are trading 40 years of their lives for debt, mortgage, insurance, and a bit of security. But I know the feeling of security is just an illusion. No more indentured servitude for me. I want to be independent, free, and happy.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
No Money.jpg
Life's simple economy...

Reactions: humansponge

·
Registered
820 Posts
Not particularly - I only want enough to get by. My happiness lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
243 Posts
No, I already have too much money. I have trouble spending it all, and I only work part time, close to minimum wage.

Reactions: humansponge

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I don't believe in "Money can't buy happiness." but only because if you're poor as dirt and have pneumonia and you're living in a gutter, and you can't even go get yourself a clean tissue because you're so freaking sick and penniless, then you're probably not going to be happy.
I find money important in order to secure a decent living space, decent food, and to pursue my interests. I don't want to be a slave to money (I'll leave that to the Js :tongue:).
I also need money for internet service, electricity, art supplies, a decent computer, and other things that are essential to my existence.
Although the anime Chobits makes me freaking scared about college. I have a feeling that I'd lose all of my money and be left without electricity or food, and the thought of applying for jobs scares the hell out of me.

·
Banned
395 Posts
As long as I can cover my needs and live without constant worry of being dirt poor (again).

I like to occasionally splurge on stuff that interests me. Not too often though, because every time I make a large purchase I hate myself.

I like giving away money when I have it though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts