Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here seen Montage of Heck? It's the new Kurt Cobain life story film that discusses his background, growing up and then how he personally dealt with his fame.

From watching it there were a number of things that came up that show a very different side to Kurt than the one most fans saw in public. Here are a few that I noticed:

1) Idealism - something that comes through from the documentary is how Kurt had this romanticism and idealism. It's one of the reasons why his parents divorce seems to have hurt him so much and he was always striving for that ideal family even if he never found it.

2) Taking things personally and Kurt's sensitivity and difficulty handling any form of humiliation or rejection is covered extensively. I would argue it's one of the defining themes running through the film.

3) Kurt doesn't seem to have run the band as the lead singer but appeared to prefer a more shared approach his main problems with drummers appear to be with their not matching the ideal that he had in his head rather than him wanting to dismiss others.

4) In interviews Kurt talked about the passive aggressive way that all the band members dealt with issues because they didn't want conflict.

5) Extremely creative, goes without saying.

6) I think passionate and energetic does too. One of the main reasons that Kurt seems to have been attracted to punk and grunge appears to be because they shared the values that he always felt about the world.

7) His views and values seem to have helped him in his work ethic too, it appears he was extremely hard working and when he hired Dave Grohl he told him in a letter that he expected 5 day work weeks with rehearsals. At the same time he was willing to walk away from the music if he stopped believing in it.

8) A common theme that runs through especially as a child and I think this was seen later in his often standing up for people who historically have been looked at as on the fringe.

9) In his relationships with his Mom and his first girlfriend he wanted to live without having to work, his Mom kicked him out and his first girlfriend worked while he stayed at home painting, recording tapes and writing songs. He was working hard, but it was on things he cared about not because of any money.

10) He is described as always thinking about other people and their needs, especially as a child.

I'm sure there are countless others. If I'm honest I do find the idea of going through a dead person's belongings to create a film about them. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that, but Cobain's daughter is a producer on the film and the director has said he wanted to do it for her so I can definitely see that angle even if I don't fully agree. I guess we will never really know unless he completed the test himself in life, but it's interesting stuff.

I recommend it to any INFPs here I think you will find it to be a fascinating creative watch.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
im looking forward to the documentary now

kind of amazing that an infp (4w5 so/sp i suspect) could become such a commercial success. i suppose if his soc instinct came first it is more plausible.

i can see how that much fame could become a very heavy burden to be exposed to.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a good documentary, but it comes from another angle than any doc I've seen before. It's like trying to show you inside Kurt's mind or present his life in the way he would if he was creating a mix tape of his life. I'm not sure how much of what I'm taking from the documentary is what I'm projecting because I've been such a huge fan for so long, but there is some stuff that is quite shocking. I have mixed feelings about the extent to which they use quite private journals and recordings.

The commercial success seems to have come to them overnight. One day they were kids the next they were one of the best bands in the world, universally acclaimed. Maybe that's one reason they found the fame so hollow, because it came so quickly. I think it's interesting that Kurt mentioned a few times about quitting music, but after taking time out to recharge he came out with In Utero which is my favourite album. It's a weird one because you get the sense that there was this toxic mix of his own idealism with wanting a normal family and life, and the reality that him and Love were super rich heroin addicts. One thing that I don't buy are Courtney's attempts to mind read the situation though. It's obvious they cared a lot for each other, but Love doesn't come across as someone capable of thinking about anyone else long enough to understand what they're thinking.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recommend it, but I'd take some Kleenex with you. If you're anything like me it will probably make you laugh and cry in equal amounts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kurt is classic, classic INFP. True idealist, and a self-destructive one at that.

Listening to his interviews often makes me feel uncomfortable, because I see so much of what is wrong with me in him. In the end, he couldn't handle living in a world in which his ideals weren't realized. I think a lot of INFPs have secret/suppressed superiority complexes ("I'm too good for this world/this reality"), and Kurt's brand of existentialism exemplified this.

He was a true artist, but ultimately couldn't handle the reality that most people don't care about 'art' or hearing the 'truth' - but care more about consuming, profiting and being 'trendy'. In Bloom is exactly about this disgust he harbors towards his more blind, shallow, consumerist fans.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've seen it? In theatres or online? If online, please message me a link :D
I saw it in a theatre because I saw it was showing at one near me and I couldn't wait to watch it. I was already hooked after watching the trailer. I'm not sure when it's going to get released on TV, but since it's a HBO production I doubt the wait will be too long. :happy:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Kurt is classic, classic INFP. True idealist, and a self-destructive one at that.

Listening to his interviews often makes me feel uncomfortable, because I see so much of what is wrong with me in him. In the end, he couldn't handle living in a world in which his ideals weren't realized. I think a lot of INFPs have secret/suppressed superiority complexes ("I'm too good for this world/this reality"), and Kurt's brand of existentialism exemplified this.

He was a true artist, but ultimately couldn't handle the reality that most people don't care about 'art' or hearing the 'truth' - but care more about consuming, profiting and being 'trendy'. In Bloom is exactly about this disgust he harbors towards his more blind, shallow, consumerist fans.
So hypothetically, as an INFP, how could he have helped himself (excluding drugs and whatnot)? Quit Nirvana? People might have stopped caring about him, forget about him, except his true fans?

·
Banned
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So hypothetically, as an INFP, how could he have helped himself (excluding drugs and whatnot)? Quit Nirvana? People might have stopped caring about him, forget about him, except his true fans?
I think there were rumours that he might have been planning to quit Nirvana anyway and I know he had plans to do some more acoustic style work with Michael Stipe which would have been incredible, with a rumoured demo tape that supposedly exists somewhere out there.

I personally feel that the biggest mistake that Kurt made was getting married to Courtney Love. It may be a harsh thing to say but some relationships don't work or end well for people in them and I think they were a bad match. The main reason I have is that Kurt was looking for a loyal partner who could understand him and who he could build his ideal family with. His parents divorce had such a huge influence on his life he wanted to have that stability for his own kids, and even if it ended in divorce he wanted his ex to be on good terms with him and not be negative around the kid. I don't know Courtney Love personally but she seems to be the worst person that anyone wanting that kind of life could have chosen. I don't want to spoil anything from the documentary before you see it so I'll wait until you have before giving any spoilers, but there are moments where it is obvious that their outlooks on life were completely different. Courtney doesn't seem to have understood why Kurt would cancel million dollar gigs to choose to stay at home and paint. To most INFPs that's a no brainer if they had the money to do whatever they enjoyed the most. I'd consider it even necessary given how draining constantly being around people must have been.

There's a good chance that once Kurt realised that his own family wasn't going to last and that he was going to fail to live up to his most important ideal, facing the public humiliation of a likely divorce not to mention the acrimony between himself and Courtney as parents, like his own parents, it all got too much for him and he decided to just end it all. Add the heroin addiction and the strong possibility he was bipolar and it's a real tragedy. I think Courtney was as much of a junkie as Kurt when she held the intervention and that it was likely a power play for a pending divorce, but that is speculation on my part.

·
Registered
294 Posts
@arwen
@Itsmyhead pretty much perfectly summed up the rest of the reasons for his then mental state. He was thinking of quitting Nirvana. And as much as his fans don't want to admit it, that move probably would have been beneficial for his mental health. And yes, if he had stepped away from the mainstream (though at that point, he was too exposed to ever go back to normal life for a while), I'm sure that his true, loyal fans would have stuck by him.

Courtney love was the huge mistake. When they began dating, Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth warned Courtney that dating Kurt would 'ruin her life' and only drag her into the downward spiral he was in. I do think Courtney took advantage of Kurt's then popularity as well - she for one, loved all the press and the paparazzi and limelight. Kurt couldn't handle that kind of attention and his own sudden mainstream glorification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.