Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get very upset and also very happy-am VERY affected from my environment. Example I am talking to this guy and it makes me absolutely giddy with joy and smiling. But just a few days ago, this other guy who kind of pushed me away upset me, and I felt all moody and upset. I get very easily affected and very emotional by different triggers.

My moods can be extreme. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
In my case sometimes I don't get affected by extreme situations or insults or conflicts at all. I don't know how but my brain sometimes tunes it out completely. There are a few times where I get really over emotional such as getting really offended and super sad over small situations that shouldn't have this much impact.

My guess is maybe INFPs have very sensitive pressure points and if someone even comes close to hitting it, our emotional alarms go off.

Reactions: Vermilion Bird

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
I can totally relate. I hide my feelings most of the time, so not many know what I'm really feeling. I feel more down than up most of the time, but it's like a dull ache kind of thing; I acknowledge it, but suppressing it is really easy. As a result of having to conceal my emotions, I've become quite good at it. However, since I generally do feel more melancholic than anything, whenever I'm happy, I get extremely happy; I can't look at anybody without smiling. On the other hand, I can just as quickly become upset. When this happens, and it's mostly due to feeling disrespected by authority or lonely when I actually need someone to speak to in the moment, I feel really hurt on the inside, but concealing it is relatively easy... with the exception of changing my tone of voice and behaving slightly more passive-aggressively.

My life is practically an emotional rollercoaster; relatively uneventful for a long time, but falls and rises at rapid rates. I'm also a teenager, so I'm quite the hormonal wreck as well. But yeah, while I do have an internal storm, it's the external environmental factors that tend to cause the notable crests and troughs in my emotional patterns. My INFP friend also has unpredictable highs and lows, like we both have sensitive pressure points that react to our external stressors, so it may just be one of those INFP things.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Intensity = high highs and low lows? Yes.
Swings, frequent vacillation between the extremes? hmmm.....not so much?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can easily relate to you. Infp's dominant function is introverted feeling, where we make decisions based on how we feel. We are constantly checking in with our self about how we feel. In simple terms, the introverted feeler is very in tune with their emotions, and tend to be very affected by them. Emotions are real to us, and are felt very deeply. When we are happy, we are HAPPY, when we are angry, we are ANGRY, there really is no in between for us. As my brother would put it, Infp's have no chill.

This is both a curse and a blessing. When someone comes to me sad or confused or scared, I can often relate or at least empathize with them, because I too have felt what your feeling, probably 20 times over. This is why Infp's make great therapists and nurses. But we also take criticism way too harshly, even if it is something as silly as "Stop swimming, that's against the rules". Just learn not to take everything personally (I know its hard, but you can do it) and stop letting the little things ruin your mood.

Hope this helps ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.