Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have my own value system that is more based on " Live & let others live" approach. I don`t feel guilty for most things conservative people do, but I`m not a true moral nihilist : There are still a lot of things I avoid bcs I find wrong according to my personal decision.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know, me personally wouldn't mind taking something I found for instance because it is something that the owner would have already considered was as lost. Or stealing something (test answers) that wouldn't harm anyone and then making money off of it. I guess that the hard working people would be cheated, but then again as long as they don't know about it, fuck them.

I don't mind deceiving people if it involves me, and wouldn't harm them. I don't want to harm other people except myself, if lying prevents people from harm (especially myself) then I will lie like it was my profession.

Physically harming anybody is not my thing. Unless i am in war or it is revenge.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I think the point is that ISTPs live by their own rules, whatever those rules may be. They figure out for themselves what makes the most sense to them and they live accordingly.

Morality is a set of culturally defined rules which an ISTP may or may not agree with, but the important thing is that they should decide for themselves and not just accept whatever society tries to force down their throat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Morals are a construct, but that doesn't mean that your actions don't affect others. I have some empathy for others, so I don't cause them harm. Don't do on others what you don't want done on yourself, and live and let live. Very simple as far as morals go. But acting like an ass because I can, that doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It makes sense if you enjoy it.
Right
Which make it clear that I am a moral relativist, not nihilist.
While I agree with moral nihilist in theory, in practice it seems retarded, an excuse to justify antisocial behaviors which I consider have no place in society.
A normal human have a sense of empathy. Being denied of it is a flaw, not something you should cherish or try to justify.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right
While I agree with moral nihilist in theory, in practice it seems retarded, an excuse to justify antisocial behaviors which I consider have no place in society.
A normal human have a sense of empathy. Being denied of it is a flaw, not something you should cherish or try to justify.
That's a very narrow-minded and arrogant view. Thinking that not having empathy is somehow a "flaw" - it has its advantages and disadvantages. Being able to take what you want without feeling bad about it can give a man a serious advantage in pretty much everything if they're cunning enough, on the other hand they'll never fully understand and share the emotions of the people they interact with.

Also, care to come up with a better argument than "hurr durr sociopaths just use it as an excuse to be arseholes"? Not a very convincing argument, just a personal attack.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Right
much as i agree with you on not just being plain antisocial, empathy doesn't have to be the reason.
i greet and smile at the sellers in the bakery where i buy my lunch every day and wish them a nice day when i leave. why? because they remember me and search out the most tasty things from the counter for those who are nice to them.
i don't yell at sellers/callcenter-employees when something doesn't work. they are not the ones responsible. so... when i have a problem and call a support i've called before, i'm treated nice and connected to someone who knows about his stuff.
i call it long-range egoism.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok, I'm going to express my point of view differently.
I'm egoist. If somebody's else egoism affect me (directly or indirectly), I'm against it. My egoist extend to others peoples around me as well.
People without morals have a higher chance to affect me negatively, thus I egoistically want them out of my life.
Make sense?
I really wish there is some sort of karma somewhere. There isn't, but whatever.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Right
I would also fall under the relativist category.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
That's a very narrow-minded and arrogant view. Thinking that not having empathy is somehow a "flaw" - it has its advantages and disadvantages. Being able to take what you want without feeling bad about it can give a man a serious advantage in pretty much everything if they're cunning enough, on the other hand they'll never fully understand and share the emotions of the people they interact with.
Exactly, it's a matter of preference. A lot of people get what they want by preying on others, because they have the stomach for it and they're not impeded by guilt or shame. They're the carnivores of the human race. Trying to eradicate this characteristic by calling it a flaw is like telling a wolf he shouldn't eat bunnies because it's mean.

The downside of being a predator is that you can never really trust anyone. People who choose a life of crime, for instance, get a lot of money and power for their efforts but they have to constantly watch their back. Most ordinary people don't have the stomach for that type of thing, so they prefer to flock together under the comforting umbrella of morality. Which is fine too; it's just another survival mechanism in a harsh world. One of many.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Right
Moral relativism: an excuse to justify oppressive, barbaric, and tribal societal behaviors.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Don't cause harm to others.... yeah, that's fucking oppressive and barbaric.
Moral relativism, from what I understand, justifies tribal societal behaviors (like sacrifice, genital mutilation, discrimination and oppression), letting society relieve itself of social progress or any other type of moral standards based on notions of antiquated cultural traditions. Moral relativism excuses a culture or society from any accountability since the relativeness of morality dictates there be no universal principles of morality; therefore, all cultures are immune from criticism, judgment, or any tenets of right and wrong.

It's dangerous.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Moral relativism, from what I understand, justifies tribal societal behaviors (like sacrifice, genital mutilation, discrimination and oppression), letting society relieve itself of social progress or any other type of moral standards based on notions of antiquated cultural traditions. Moral relativism excuses a culture or society from any accountability since the relativeness of morality dictates there be no universal principles of morality; therefore, all cultures are immune from criticism, judgment, or any tenets of right and wrong.

It's dangerous.
That's life. Try to fix it and you create new problems.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
That's life. Try to fix it and you create new problems.
All you could do is hold yourself accountable and not be apathetic when frauds and phonies prey on the vulnerabilities of others. Easier to control and affect what goes on in your own surroundings before trying to fix something more global.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts