Personality Cafe banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you think the initial post is more about semantics?

Morality seems to be carried along with religious and cultural "rules". Morality boiled down is really determining right from wrong.

Ideals to me, are an idea of how things "should be", and span over a lot of topics. Where as morality is a universal sense of right and wrong. For example, murder is wrong regardless if I think it should be or not.

sorely misunderstood, the moral code translated thru the bible is intended to be a tutor to teach freedom from the "degenerate" part of your nature, not a suppressive list of rules to follow. most of the "ten commandments" regardless what you believe are pretty self evident, don't kill cheat lie or steal. it's purpose and meaning is boiled down to love. so if you did everything for yourself and others motivated by love, you wouldn't need rules.

absent of any religious belief, however, the idea of a supreme moral code is pretty essential, would you agree? if someone wanted to kill their neighbor and have their way with their wife, that universally wrong regardless of anyone opinion, ideal, or otherwise. basic stuff, right?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Do you think the initial post is more about semantics?
Citing my initial post: "Or maybe this is just a matter of terminology?".

Ideals to me, are an idea of how things "should be", and span over a lot of topics. Where as morality is a universal sense of right and wrong. For example, murder is wrong regardless if I think it should be or not.
There is nothing "universal" or "absolute" about morals. It makes no sense to speak of "right" or "wrong" unless there is a perspective from which to make such an evaluation -- ie. someone's point of view or opinion. If no-one is there to think/feel that murder is "wrong", then it is meaningless to say it is. Murder is illegal because the members of society/ies have agreed on such a rule.

I think in terms of "good" or "bad". Whether eg. murder is good or bad depends on the details of the situation. If someone I dislike were to be murdered, I would consider it "good".

-Albert.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts