Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A trademark of fives is fascination with morbid, and/or macabre things (or as my friends like to call it, "messed up sh*t").
I have seen this tendency in myself. My dad would tease me that he wishes I would read books about happy things instead of Hannibal or Nietzsche. He's not particularly interested in my extensive theories on Salad Fingers either, oddly enough.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the most fascinating things in life are at least a little twisted, as I'm sure all of us here on this forum know. What are your morbid fascinations?

Mine are the human psyche, psychopathy, multiple personality, dystopias, evil as a theory, Slender Man, and most recently the deep sea. The last one is primarily due to the possibility of Lovecraftian horrors lurking in the abyss.

Your turn. Go.

·
Registered
647 Posts
For a while it was everything dystopia/totalitarian-government. I couldn't get enough of them and would spend hours imagining the possibilities in my head.

Right now it's health stuff. It's not just in my head though because I did some massive changes to my diet and suddenly I wasn't sick anymore, my eczema cleared up, the mental fog disappeared, and a lot of other small things that have bothered me for years just disappeared. All from a diet that doctors blow off as quackery and refuse to discuss with their patients. I found it by word of mouth.

It makes me pretty angry. I never trust anything just because a doctor says it. I always google it and look at anatomy books to make sure.

EDIT to add: I think I might have channeled it into more creative stuff, like science-fiction or dark fantasy, but that stuff reminds me too much of when I was in a cult. I have some very dark memories and horror tends to remind me of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I usually get confused when people say something is too depressing, scary, or sad. To me, it's as strange as someone who can't watch Star Wars because it's too violent or something.

I'm into eerie, dark, stylish, and bizarre things, but I usually don't think of them as morbid. I guess I'm so used to morbid being an unattractive thing that I only apply the word to disturbing things I'm not interested in.

Here's some stuff I love:
Psychological thrillers (Persona, The Conversation)
Electronic music (Anja Garbarek, Emilie Simon, Martina Topley-Bird)
Video games (Penumbra, Thief, Riven, Grim Fandango)
Short films (Lucia)

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I think being a little morbid is a good thing since it can help to deal with unpleasant situations that could normally cause a very sensitive and/or over the top optimist to go insane or become suicidal, though it can't completely block all the trauma.

Also, my Dad caught me watching horror videos a couple of times and told me I should dwell on happier things as if watching horrible stuff sometimes will turn me into something bad.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When I think of the 5's morbid fascination, it manifests itself in me not as traditionally "scary" things like cannibalism or horror stories, but things that frighten and disturb me personally. I don't pursue these things because I get some kind of enjoyment from scaring myself silly, but because I feel compelled to. I feel that if I am really so interested in pursuing knowledge and understanding as I tell myself, that I must be willing to unflichingly look at and indeed seek out ideas, even if they are terribly frightening. And for me they usually are as I rarely enjoy this searching, necessary though it may be.

I often have to actively work to keep myself from becoming too frightened because once I study these things my imagination gets the better of me and I find it hard to think of anything else at times. However I feel that refusing to look at something that might disturb me basically means that I am turning away from truth and objective thought and knowledge, something that is even more difficult to live with. My fears usually revolve around ideas related to nihilism, the destruction and/or meaninglessness of my intellectual pursuits, and abandonment/loneliness.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I used to be really interested in more typical "scary" things like horror movies, the possibility of ghosts, serial killers, etc.
Now, I'm more interested in psychological disorders. I admit, I probably went overboard when I first became interested. I'm really interested in schizophrenia especially, and other mental disorders that aren't well understood and pretty rare. This is more practical, in my opinion, because this is real life stuff. I don't think these things should just be dismissed by people, as they usually are. I'm interested in suicide related things, but that's more because of personal experience. My main hope is that I can one day help others to better understand these subjects to help people suffering.

·
Registered
945 Posts
im interested in mental disorder, definately odd ones like apotemnophilia, amputee identity disorder,
or personality disorder particularly involving social withdrawal such as hikikomori
freud theories, im really interested in why it come to a conclusion in oedipus. when the young boy are attracted with the mother,
im still analyzing about freud description about the women development. i think i never came to a stage when i envy guys reproductive system :/
and books about split personality,
its weird how the condition is usually frown upon, it make complete sense. but hollywood ruins everything when they claimed the diagnosis for dramatizing their movies. so for all of those split personality sufferers, i pity on you.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'll second all things dystopian and psychoanalytic theory. Existentialist philosophy, nihilism.

I'm currently enrolled in a class on sexual assault in spite of having experienced it myself.

It could be a result of the intensity of feeling like I need to understand. Personally, I think that when you strip everything else away, there exists in the morbid and the macabre a profoundly honest picture of the human condition. That's my attraction to it, anyway.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'll second all things dystopian and psychoanalytic theory. Existentialist philosophy, nihilism.

I'm currently enrolled in a class on sexual assault in spite of having experienced it myself.

It could be a result of the intensity of feeling like I need to understand. Personally, I think that when you strip everything else away, there exists in the morbid and the macabre a profoundly honest picture of the human condition. That's my attraction to it, anyway.
Yes!!! It's like looking at the pains/difficulties of living straight in the face and acknowledging that they exist.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It could be a result of the intensity of feeling like I need to understand.
A few years back I had a friend pass away in a very violent manner. I was devastated because of her passing, and because I just did not understand why it happened.
I read articles on the manner in which she died. I needed to know if she was at peace, if she was afraid, did she feel much etc.
So I definitely know I am capable of morbid fascination.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A few years back I had a friend pass away in a very violent manner. I was devastated because of her passing, and because I just did not understand it. I'm sort of ashamed to say I heavily researched this specific way of dying. I needed to know if she was at peace, if she was afraid, did she feel much etc.
So I definitely know I am capable of morbid fascination.
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

·
Registered
826 Posts
when you strip everything else away, there exists in the morbid and the macabre a profoundly honest picture of the human condition.
i reject this. the morbid and the macabre is not more honest than happiness. both sides are equally easy to fake. the human condition isn't limited to one thing or another. in fact i would argue that in anything pertaining to the human condition, it is more closely linked to anything that supports and build life; like warmth, sunlight, happiness and empathy. the human condition in the most honest form must be defined and associated with such things because life itself is a process of growth, and the human condition is therefore in some way about overcoming the darker things (or life wouldn't be possible). decay and death is not part of life.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ventricity:1922475 said:
i reject this. the morbid and the macabre is not more honest than happiness. both sides are equally easy to fake. the human condition isn't limited to one thing or another. in fact i would argue that in anything pertaining to the human condition, it is more closely linked to anything that supports and build life; like warmth, sunlight, happiness and empathy. the human condition in the most honest form must be defined and associated with such things because life itself is a process of growth, and the human condition is therefore in some way about overcoming the darker things (or life wouldn't be possible). decay and death is not part of life.
I agree with most of this. I didn't mean exclusively.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't say I agree with this. We all, of course, strive toward happiness, but we all eventually fall victim to entropy, and when we do it's interesting to see how it happens. Decay and death is part of life; a natural part of the cycle. There are many things twisted about the human psyche, and if we don't try to understand them, where will we be?
There's a sort of beauty in dark things. To quote Mustapha Mond from Brave New World, "happiness is never grand." For light to exist, there must be darkness.

·
Registered
914 Posts
. My dad would tease me that he wishes I would read books about happy things instead of Hannibal or Nietzsche. He's not particularly interested in my extensive theories on Salad Fingers either, oddly enough.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the most fascinating things in life are at least a little twisted, as I'm sure all of us here on this forum know. What are your morbid fascinations?

Mine are the human psyche, psychopathy, multiple personality, dystopias, evil as a theory, Slender Man, and most recently the deep sea.

Your obsessions are shockingly very similar to mine. In particular, I'm surprised I found someone else with a fascination in psychopaths and evil.

Reactions: Esilenna

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I am very fascinated by a number of bizarre and dark subject matters including serial killers, mob hitmen, torture devices... It fascinates me what humans beings are capable of inflicting upon one another. I enjoy memento mori - Victorian photos of the dead, how they posed them with living family members is intriguing to me; and just staring at them, I hope to find something that cannot be found, because I am not even certain what I am looking for. I am deeply interested in the Chernobyl nuclear accident... I read first hand accounts of the survivors, and the hell that many of the responders endured due to radiation poisoning. I find photos of abandoned and desolate places comforting in some way. I read a lot about the plague and how thousands upon thousands perished, some that were not even infected - but were condemned to die in quarantine because of the rampant fear. Another topic I find interesting is Aokigahara Forest, the forest in Japan were a number of people go to commit suicide each year - I have seen many photos of the remains people have discovered while hiking there. Anything from non fiction to ghost stories and folklore tickle my fancy.

I have a coworker who, to a lesser extent, is interested in some of these things. Or at least she lets me ramble on about them, and pretends to be interested. I wonder if anyone ever overhears me and wonders about my sanity :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I can't say I agree with this. We all, of course, strive toward happiness, but we all eventually fall victim to entropy, and when we do it's interesting to see how it happens. Decay and death is part of life; a natural part of the cycle. There are many things twisted about the human psyche, and if we don't try to understand them, where will we be?
There's a sort of beauty in dark things. To quote Mustapha Mond from Brave New World, "happiness is never grand." For light to exist, there must be darkness.
I was in a cult for the first 24 years of my life. If I had been asked about my morbid fascinations last year, I would have said "cult stuff" because I was researching the heck out of it, trying to decipher what was cult brainwashing and what was my actual personality. Like Esilenna said, part of surviving is understanding the dark side of human nature. A lot of cult survivors don't face what happened to them and then get suckered into another cult. I watched this repeatedly happen to people and swore it would never happen to me.

And even after the trauma is processed, you're still not the SAME. I feel like part of me has died. It took me a long time to acknowledge this because the cult taught me to focus on good things so much that I excluded everything else, including my own feelings and conscience. And to be honest, while I was in the cult I was just as bad as they were, so facing the darkness of what happened is also helping me to understand and forgive myself for the things I did.

Reactions: big90cloud

·
Registered
826 Posts
i'm not talking about life choices here, but the definition of life. decay and death is not part of life, it is however the antithesis. it might serve to give perspective, but then it is in the realm of life choices and philosophy. and for someone quoting entropy in physics, light has nothing to do with darkness, it is in general terms electromagnetic radiation where only some of it is visible to the human eye. i understand the dark/light analogy, but my point is that it is impossible to really understand the essence of life if we are always bringing in stuff that is not really part of the definition, like death. so, in physics it would be absurd to bring darkness into the equation when studying light.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts