Personality Cafe banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking for another Sp 4 depiction and I just came across this one, that I didn't know at all. Thank you for sharing it ! (even if it was a long time ago)

Many years ago (I guess in the mid 90s), Naranjo revised and changed his old description of the SP 4 as "dauntless", arguing that after many years, he and his team noticed that "dauntlessness" had to do more with the Sexual subtype. After observing lots of SP 4 in their workshops, he changed the SP 4 passion to TENACITY.

Here are my notes:

When beginning explaining the subtypes of Four, Naranjo usually makes a pun involving the 4's passion for suffering which in Spanish translates to something like:
"SP 4s are the long-suffering, SO 4s are the sufferers, and SX 4s are the insufferable".

Besides 6s, 4s present the most striking differences between the subtypes
-The SP 4 is a type of Four that doesn’t even seem Four. It’s a Four that anyone would believe a One, because is a self-restrained Four. It´s counter-dependent

-They are the Enneagram "Pack Mules" - The SP 4 has a PASSION FOR TENACITY, understood as a passion for enduring and resisting great burden without the minimum gesture. Makes a career of ENDURING.

-There’s an expectation of attain love thru endurance and sacrifice, hence their TENACITY.

-The 4 is the most demanding type (gimme, gimme, gimme!) but in this case the demand of the other two subtypes is withdrawn (they ¨retroflect¨ their demand).

-It’s the Counter-Envious, you barely see the envy and usually they do not register it themselves (Many of them types themselves as Ones or Sixes).

- They are the most long-suffering ones of the Four’s subtypes. Very stoic, the most STOIC of the Enneagram.

-Masochists: They love suffering, they learned to swallow a lot and endure a great amount of pain. Their inner sensation is that of being Pack Mules or Mountain Goats who suffer in silence. (Personal note: Naranjo refers to this subtype as the "Suffering Goats" because he equates them to the Mountain Goats that climb the mountain step by step, no matter what. Besides, they have this ¨expression¨on their faces, all looked the same. It’s like a face of resignation regarding the pain, quite different form the Social´s "Poor Me" face or the Sexual "I Hate You" face.)

- There’s a (morbid) satisfaction in showing the world the amount of efforts they make.
The more they strive, the more they feel worthy. In their childhood, they received a mixed-message: "You have to strive", but at the same time "You are unworthy".

-There they lose consciousness of Envy. They find it hard to recognize and see their Envy, it’s very hidden.

- Counter-Dependant in a way that is a type of person who is so scared of being (emotionally) damaged again (regarding their needs or depending on someone else) that they adopt the attitude of "I DON´T NEED ANYONE".

-They are the least-demanding Fours, they strive in silence, but they show you their burden. Very independent, they rarely ask for help and they manage with little.

- They’re like Ants, patient, hard-working, reserved. The striving stands out. Their motto could be "Give me more suffering that I can bear it".

- They are organized and orderly. Make very good secretaries (not in a Threeish "modern secretary" way, more the "old fashioned secretary")

- As all 4s, they DO have a great need for dependence, but they forbid it to themselves, becoming very self-sufficient. It's as if they said to themselves, "Why ask for help if nobody will reply?".

-The most autonomous of Fours, the least dependent. They say to themselves, "I’ll work like a dog and I’ll get it". Difficulty to stop. In general, the envious person feels that others are worth more than them. The tenacious Four strives to have what he/she wants and what he/she believes the others don’t deserve.

- They are anti-hedonistic, it’s hard for them to connect with pleasure or give permission.

- It’s the LEAST emotional of Fours, you rarely see them crying.

-They are self-demanding and persnickety. Self demanding until the point of "devouring" themselves. The Sexual Four is cannibalistic, devours others; the SP, on the other hand, devours him/herself.

-Their attitude to face life is: "I’m not worthy now, but one day, I will be…Just wait and see…", "Come what may" & "Whatever it takes".

- They demand a lot to themselves. In that self-demand they are also rigid (like Ones).

- They need more permission to enjoy pleasure. The voracity of ENVY is directed to themselves, not others.

- They complain less. To avoid the frustration of asking for something, they simply do not ask, they just work and work. They swallow their anger and frustration, but they don’t feel entitled to show it.

- Mistyping: They can be easily mistaken as Ones, Prussian Sixes and in a few cases, with SP 3s, because of their efficiency (but the Sp 3 is upbeat, the Sp 4 is sad). Can be mistaken as 5s also, because they don’t cry, they don't ask for things, and can live with little.

- They heal when they begin to let themselves cry.
Much of it makes a lot of sense to me.
I really don't relate to the not-crying part though. But I see tears just the way I see blood, as a manifestation of suffering rather than a way to attract someone. I still have a difficult relationship with crying, I hate crying, but sometimes I can't help. I guess I am a genuinely sensitive person, and maybe it has something to do with the 3 wing as well (not having the same avarice as 5 with emotions) but I really do care about being strong. Sometimes you could even see the tears on my face when I feel bad (yes it sounds cheesy) but I usually reject any help I could be offered and just keep doing my stuff while crying. I guess a So 4 indulge more easily in overtly suffering, even when they don't suffer that much (in a teenager emo way somehow), and it may attract people who then help them, and they would end up being more dependent (that's where the "Social" label would come from).

While not being stoic (as a Te-inf, it would be hard), I completely relate to being self-devouring and autonomous. Maybe I can rant about minor problems, but as for the things I actually feel the most defective about, I rarely self-indulge in self-pity about them. I tend to assume it's all my entire fault and I am extremely hard on myself, and try to push myself into being functioning even when I really am exhausted. I guess I can be a little 3-like as I am often seen as a hard-worker, but the difference is that everything seems so easy for 3, their success seems to come obviously and naturally where I see the path through it like the Way of the cross (I don't know if this is a real expression in English).

The mountain-goat thing is interesting. It makes me think of Camus's Sisyphus which is quite a reference to me (lol as I have this author in my signature that might seem monomaniac, but I put that a long time ago). Sisyphus is condemned, he has to push his rock to the summit of a mountain for eternity. And when he does reach the summit, it rolls to the bottom and all the job has to be done again. Often life feels like this to me. I think it can be connected to the frustration side of 4, as life seems so dull, absurd and difficult, and it makes you want more of it, something exciting, and then comes the dauntlessness and the sensualist side of 4 Sp that compensates this.

The secretary stuff is off and even offensive to me. If I strive so much, it's not to look this mundane !

Interestingly enough, Naranjo connects 4 to Borderline Personality, and once I came across a "Quiet Borderline" depiction and I found that it clicked with me — although I decided not to self-indulge in identifying myself with this kind of disease. This is a self-devouring Borderline, that mostly direct their rage inwards and abandon themselves. I don't do that as much as I used to though. But I guess it helped me to find out that I am not my emotions and feel less defective and weak.

___

As for Riso and Hudson : when I read this Sp then Sx fit perfectly.
I tend to be very materialist compared to most INFP. I really need my surrounding, my clothes, my food to be special somehow, with a personal touch. And I can be obsessive with comfort issue, but especially with noises, some noises really drive me crazy (people chewing out loud, talking to the phone, neibourgh noises). I usually don't sleep enough, the more I am dissatisfied with life, the more my health routine is unhealthy as I try to compensate. And when very unhealthy I can have this suicidal recklessness - "It's not a big deal if I die anyway, better dying than living this horrible dull life". Even the gift thing is true for me , but I'm not sure it would really fit every Sp 4 (and the rose example is so cliché !).
As for the Sx, I don't really relate to the action-oriented side, but some of it is very true, and that's the kind of things that hurt the most when I found out about being a 4. But yes, desirability tends to be a main issue to me as I tend to feel defective in this area, and envy can make me want to hurt, to kill people even. I might not act it very much, but I do relate to indulging in being a bad person when I feel that I am unlovable anyway.
I relate to some aspect of the So, but not the most social parts (being socially active, alternative lifestyles groups and once more, dependency), even if when I was a teenager I used to struggle more with some of this kind of issue I guess.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Some speculation of how certain aspects of type 4 can be amplified by each instinct variant.

SO type 4
I know this one personally as I'm So/Sp 4

I think this would amplify the 4s need to be recognized as something special. The whole idea of turning yourself into a piece of art that is renown and held up high in the world as a representation of something unique is probably an intense desire for an SO 4. Always needing to feel like they bring something special to the table whenever in a social environment, and feeling "out of place" if they do not fill some special gap in the environment. They probably find it hard trying to cope with being a grain of sand in a given environment. I imagine much of their idealism aims towards their fame in an exclusive category where they have pioneered a new genre of music, a new medium of expression or some other unique gift given to the world by them. I imagine this type 4 would be most attracted to type 3s who provide a great example of how one can present themselves to their environment effectively.

SP type 4

I think this type would be much more subdued by the thoughts of their flaws and be devoted to self development. With the concern of their flaws being amplified I think they might be more prone to only open up to a smaller group of friends, ensuring that the people they are around are safe bets to open up to. They may also want to bring a unique spin to health and get into gardening for the health and aesthetic aspects of it. I could see SP type 4s being great interior designers creating unique, aesthetic and comfortable environments. I also think an SP 4 might want to get into physical shape not only for health but to also "sculpt" their body in a way that pleases their eyes. The idea that you are flawed and must be fixed in order to be a healthy individual might be amplified for this kind of 4. I imagine most the this 4s idealism is aimed at wanting to experience intense comfort and peace in life. Searching for a greater peace and safety. Wishing for an escape from the chaos of emotions. And ultimately finding their "best self", which is calm and capable. I imagine this type 4 would be most attracted to type 1s who provide a certain structure to life.

SX type 4
The aspect of not being "whole" and needing completion might be amplified for this kind of 4. Seeking and external "something" to fill the void that keeps you empty might be a constant search. Seeking people or a person to bear one's soul to and expose one's flaws to might be a driving factor in seeking intimate relationships. Wanting to fully be "known" by someone and to fully know someone and become "one" with them as if you two share the same soul might be what this 4 deeply wants more than anything. Seeking situations where one can experience emotional intensity might also be a driving force in this 4. Emotional intensity in every day experiences, and in intimate relationships. This type 4 is probably the most attracted to type 8s whose presence causes that emotional intensity inside the SX 4 that they truly seek. I imagine much of their idealism is aimed at the intensity they seek becoming a reality and not doused by mundane life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Some speculation of how certain aspects of type 4 can be amplified by each instinct variant.

SO type 4

I think this would amplify the 4s need to be recognized as something special. The whole idea of turning yourself into a piece of art that is renown and held up high in the world as a representation of something unique is probably an intense desire for an SO 4. Always needing to feel like they bring something special to the table whenever in a social environment, and feeling "out of place" if they do not fill some special gap in the environment. They probably find it hard trying to cope with being a grain of sand in a given environment. I imagine much of their idealism aims towards their fame in an exclusive category where they have pioneered a new genre of music, a new medium of expression or some other unique gift given to the world by them. I imagine this type 4 would be most attracted to type 3s who provide a great example of how one can present themselves to their environment effectively.

SP type 4

I think this type would be much more subdued by the thoughts of their flaws and be devoted to self development. With the concern of their flaws being amplified I think they might be more prone to only open up to a smaller group of friends, ensuring that the people they are around are safe bets to open up to. They may also want to bring a unique spin to health and get into gardening for the health and aesthetic aspects of it. I could see SP type 4s being great interior designers creating unique, aesthetic and comfortable environments. I also think an SP 4 might want to get into physical shape not only for health but to also "sculpt" their body in a way that pleases their eyes. The idea that you are flawed and must be fixed in order to be a healthy individual might be amplified for this kind of 4. I imagine most the this 4s idealism is aimed at wanting to experience intense comfort and peace in life. Searching for a greater peace and safety. Wishing for an escape from the chaos of emotions. And ultimately finding their "best self", which is calm and capable. I imagine this type 4 would be most attracted to type 1s who provide a certain structure to life.

SX type 4
The aspect of not being "whole" and needing completion might be amplified for this kind of 4. Seeking and external "something" to fill the void that keeps you empty might be a constant search. Seeking people or a person to bear one's soul to and expose one's flaws to might be a driving factor in seeking intimate relationships. Wanting to fully be "known" by someone and to fully know someone and become "one" with them as if you two share the same soul might be what this 4 deeply wants more than anything
. Seeking situations where one can experience emotional intensity might also be a driving force in this 4. Emotional intensity in every day experiences, and in intimate relationships. This type 4 is probably the most attracted to type 8s whose presence causes that emotional intensity inside the SX 4 that they truly seek. I imagine much of their idealism is aimed at the intensity they seek becoming a reality and not doused by mundane life.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I relate to both sx and so but idk which comes first
Well your first Instinct is something you do even when you don't notice it, so sometimes you can be clumsy with it or be too much with it. Your second instinct is something you experiment with.

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
Will bold what I relate to:

SO type 4

I think this would amplify the 4s need to be recognized as something special. The whole idea of turning yourself into a piece of art that is renown and held up high in the world as a representation of something unique is probably an intense desire for an SO 4. (cringes) Always needing to feel like they bring something special to the table whenever in a social environment, and feeling "out of place" if they do not fill some special gap in the environment. They probably find it hard trying to cope with being a grain of sand in a given environment. I imagine much of their idealism aims towards their fame in an exclusive category where they have pioneered a new genre of music, a new medium of expression or some other unique gift given to the world by them. I imagine this type 4 would be most attracted to type 3s who provide a great example of how one can present themselves to their environment effectively.

SP type 4

SX type 4
The aspect of not being "whole" and needing completion might be amplified for this kind of 4. Seeking and external "something" to fill the void that keeps you empty might be a constant search. Seeking people or a person to bear one's soul to and expose one's flaws to might be a driving factor in seeking intimate relationships. Wanting to fully be "known" by someone and to fully know someone and become "one" with them as if you two share the same soul might be what this 4 deeply wants more than anything. Seeking situations where one can experience emotional intensity might also be a driving force in this 4. Emotional intensity in every day experiences, and in intimate relationships. This type 4 is probably the most attracted to type 8s whose presence causes that emotional intensity inside the SX 4 that they truly seek. I imagine much of their idealism is aimed at the intensity they seek becoming a reality and not doused by mundane life. (I want more than anything to find the person who is as intense as I am and who can take me.)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts