Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In here you will find a more complete summary of the personalities and the types of people that exist. It is information gathered from years of observation and readings from various sources. A very popularized guide to personality types is MBTI, and personalitypage.com is an excellent resource on the subject, besides numerous books that exist on Amazon. However, MBTI is incomplete in its assessment, because it fails to take into account individual likes and preferences, which are better addressed using other methods, such as the love languages, dispositions, and constitutions. Also, it appears the major differences in people lie in love languages, and dispositions, not MBTI personality types.

The love languages is illustrated in the book The 5 Love Languages by Gary D. Chapman, where he speaks of Physical Intimacy, Affirmation, Service, Gifting, and Quality Time. All people possess every love language, and they are ranked by order of preference. Through personal observations, it appears that the first two love languages complement and feed each other, possibly greatly influence what make people attract others. For example, a person with high Affirmation and secondary Physical Intimacy love language might be more attracted to someone with Physical Intimacy primary and Affirmation secondary. The third love language determines what motivates people to associate with others, so if it is Service, it will be the need to help, or Physical Intimacy, so it is the need to be in closer contact with others. The fourth and fifth love languages are developed to different extents in people, with the least developed love language sometimes manifest as criminal behavior, such as stealing for a low gifting language, or deceiving others for personal gain when affirmation love language is poorly developed. Another aspect to personality is disposition.

There are three types of dispositions: teamwork oriented, skill oriented, or need-based orientation. This can be determined by observing where a person looks when speaking one-on-one. If the person is looking skyward, that individual likely prefers an environment where there is lots of teamwork. Similarly, a side-to-side looking individual prefers skillful activities that can be mastered over time. A person that looks downward when talking is more need-based, such as determining what one needs, or how to stay competitive. Disposition also ties in with learning styles, and there happens to be four types: visual, auditory, experience-visual, experience-auditory. Visual learners prefer looking at charts or graphs, and specialize in symbolic language. They learn by observing their environment. Auditory learners learn by listening and reading, and tend to be more persistent in seeking answers to a particular problem, or a specific task. Experience-visual learners prefer observation, yet they are primarily experience based, meaning they have to personally do something before becoming comfortable. Experience-auditory learners prefer auditory signals, though also relies on experience. Experience-based learners bridge the differences between visual and auditory learners, and can often discover new methods of doing something through trial-and-error. Constitution is another aspect of personality.

A person's constitution can appear mindful, energetic, or athletic. In Ayurveda, this is called dosha, which are divided into three types: vata (energetic or light), pitta (athletic or fit), and kapha (mindful or heavy). This also ties in with the so-called somatotypes, even though they have little to do with a person's weight. The constitution describes a person's tempers, such as a energetic type being disposed to feelings of fear, or anger for the athletic type, and disgust for the mindful type. The energetic type are more suited to work that allow them to communicate with others, or process and transmit information. The athletic type are more suited to work that are maintenance and construction based, such as managing details and figuring what is needed, or how something can be used. The mindful type are more oriented to solving mental challenges and synthesizing information. They prefer environments where they can use their mental abilities to achieve goals, such as analyzing market trends, or tackling difficult science problems.

People can determine what they love doing by first knowing themselves, and knowledge of MBTI, dispositions and learning styles, constitutions, and love languages can help with that self understanding. This information can also create a friendlier environment, where people better appreciate each other's differences and skills.

In summary, there are:
- Sixteen MBTI personality types, divided into four dichotomies: Introversion-extroversion, intuition-sensing, feeling-thinking, judgment-perceiving
- Five love languages: Affirmation, Physical intimacy, Service, Gifting, Quality time
- Four learning styles: visual, auditory, experience-visual, experience-auditory
- Three dispositions: teamwork, skill, need-based
- Three constitutions: mindful-kapha-heavy-endomorphic, athletic-pitta-fit-mesomorphic, energetic-vata-light-ectomorphic

Other helpful knowledge about personalities: body language, handwriting analysis

Please share your thoughts. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
This is interesting. I want to understand your perspective better.

1) Can you explain what the difference is between the first two love languages and the below quote? Wouldn't the first and/or second love language motivate people more to associate with others? Maybe there's something that I'm missing.

The third love language determines what motivates people to associate with others
2) Can you also explain how the below quote works exactly with criminal/deviant behavior? Maybe a clearer example of what you've observed. (Edit: just clarified my own thoughts, but I'd still appreciate examples with analysis. I'd like to understand the underlying thought process better of the people who are willing to cross certain boundaries for gain).

with the least developed love language sometimes manifest as criminal behavior, such as stealing for a low gifting language, or deceiving others for personal gain when affirmation love language is poorly developed.
I didn't know about dispositions before I read this. Thanks for sharing!

3) How do dispositions tie in with learning styles? You mentioned this in the below quote. Or was that just meant to be a transition sentence?

Disposition also ties in with learning styles, and there happens to be four types

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is interesting. I want to understand your perspective better.

1) Can you explain what the difference is between the first two love languages and the below quote? Wouldn't the first and/or second love language motivate people more to associate with others? Maybe there's something that I'm missing.

2) Can you also explain how the below quote works exactly with criminal/deviant behavior? Maybe a clearer example of what you've observed. (Edit: just clarified my own thoughts, but I'd still appreciate examples with analysis. I'd like to understand the underlying thought process better of the people who are willing to cross certain boundaries for gain).

I didn't know about dispositions before I read this. Thanks for sharing!

3) How do dispositions tie in with learning styles? You mentioned this in the below quote. Or was that just meant to be a transition sentence?
Hi, thank you for your interest.

The first love language is how someone would like to express their love to others, while the second love language is what people use to attract love that satisfies their first love language. For example, someone with affirmation as the first love language likes expressing their love through complements. If their second love language is physical intimacy, then they like to receive complements through physical contacts. Alternatively, if their second love language is service, they would like to receive compliments by doing useful things for someone. The third love language determines what a person wants to get in a group setting, so if it is quality time, that person wants more communication when with friends. If that third love language is service, that person is motivated by being helpful.

The logic for criminal behaviors is that if the person gives and receives love according to their first two preferences, than the other love languages do not matter. For example, a poorly developed person with low physical intimacy love language might think lightly of physically assaulting someone, if they are getting respect (affirmation) and service (possibly for sexual stimulation or personal amusement). Alternatively, if that person has the first two love languages be service and quality time, they will think rather lightly of hurting their partner if that partner considers leaving the relationship. A person with low quality time love language might refrain from social events or gatherings, as long as they feel that they are expressing love through appreciation (affirmation) and closer contact (physical intimacy) with the other members. Someone with low service love language might appear negligent, as they feel their love is expressed through appreciation (affirmation) and closer contact (physical intimacy). A person with low gifting language might be tempted to take something they like away without thinking how that might affect the other person, as long as they give respect (affirmation) and remain helpful (service). A person with low affirmation love language does not feel the need to behave or dress appropriately, as long as they are together with friends (quality time) or being helpful (service).

Interestingly, the fifth love language appears to affect people's demeanor. A person with low gifting love language will appear naive (like the wind). Someone with low affirmation love language will appear distant (like wood). A person with low service love language appears whimsical (like fire), while someone with low physical intimacy love language appears cold or reserved (like metal). A person with low quality time love language appears composed (like earth). You can also picture the four learning styles as the classical elements: visual (fire), auditory (wind), experience-visual (earth, like lava), experience-auditory (water, like steam).

Dispositions tie in with learning styles, in that everybody possesses all three dispositions, ranked according to preferences, yet be affected by their learning styles. For example, someone with auditory learning style might prefer to master a specific skill, and just contribute using that one skill in a teamwork setting, even if that might not be the optimal choice. Alternatively, someone with visual learning might prefer a set of skills to accomplish a task, yet just focus on that one task in a teamwork environment. They have a better understanding of group needs, and excellent control of their field-of-work, though without the level of mastery achieved by the auditory learner, or the knowledge of how to respond to environmental changes. The experience-visual learners prefer trying all the tasks and every skill, then determine how they better fit to particular situations. Experience-auditory learners also experiment and make changes according to the situation, though they prefer sticking to something tried and true, instead of considering possibilities that might or might not work better.

The relationship between learning style and disposition can be illustrated with League of Legends. A teamwork based player prefers something with crowd control, that can save teammates or initiate team-fights, like a mage or tank. The skill based player prefers something with high damage, which can be a deciding factor in winning games if used correctly. The need-based player will exploit weakness in their lane opponents, and pick accordingly. The visual learner prefers a specific role with a wide array of choices, such as jungling or mid-lane. The auditory learner will play just one champion, and prefers going solo, like in the top lane. The experience-visual learner will play whatever role the team needs, and can also pick according to opponents' weaknesses. The experience-auditory player prefers a role that is played similarly across many champions, and that is also independent enough to win games, such as ADC.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thank you for the detailed explanation! You have clearly thought things through. I had to process this for a while before I could respond (but I enjoy things like that). It helped clarify several things and created a few new questions. My goal is to understand human behavior so that I can detect patterns in both myself and others. This has definitely opened my eyes to a few new approaches.

Based on the info in your posts, I think that I have a primarily needs-based orientation (then skills and team), an experience-visual learning style and a kapha-vata dosha (I tend to switch between those two). 5LL: I think affirmation, service and QT are higher on my list. I'm a beginner in the 5 love languages, so I'm not entirely sure about my love language order.

Would the following be acts of service or gifts/gestures? - I like teaching people things that would be useful for them (the way you did in your posts) and learning from them. I also enjoy pointing them to the right resource if it's a better fit for helping them. Sometimes, I enjoy creating the right resource for people to use. (you mentioned helping as service in your second post, but I'd rather clarify than assume the wrong thing). I guess I'm trying to understand how acts of service and gifts work out on a mental level, not just physical :)

How the fifth language affects demeanor is pretty good to know! I was also quite fascinated by how behavior manifests as a result of the lower love languages. In hindsight, I've seen this happen and now I have the tools to analyze past / future actions and their underlying motive + logic. Thanks again for sharing!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the detailed explanation! You have clearly thought things through. I had to process this for a while before I could respond (but I enjoy things like that). It helped clarify several things and created a few new questions. My goal is to understand human behavior so that I can detect patterns in both myself and others. This has definitely opened my eyes to a few new approaches.

Based on the info in your posts, I think that I have a primarily needs-based orientation (then skills and team), an experience-visual learning style and a kapha-vata dosha (I tend to switch between those two). 5LL: I think affirmation, service and QT are higher on my list. I'm a beginner in the 5 love languages, so I'm not entirely sure about my love language order.

Would the following be acts of service or gifts/gestures? - I like teaching people things that would be useful for them (the way you did in your posts) and learning from them. I also enjoy pointing them to the right resource if it's a better fit for helping them. Sometimes, I enjoy creating the right resource for people to use. (you mentioned helping as service in your second post, but I'd rather clarify than assume the wrong thing). I guess I'm trying to understand how acts of service and gifts work out on a mental level, not just physical :)

How the fifth language affects demeanor is pretty good to know! I was also quite fascinated by how behavior manifests as a result of the lower love languages. In hindsight, I've seen this happen and now I have the tools to analyze past / future actions and their underlying motive + logic. Thanks again for sharing!
Knowing these definitely helped me to understand the variations among a personality type, and what makes people have certain preferences, so I am glad that it has helped you as well.

I might have sounded a little critical of experience-auditory, so just want to clarify that compared to experience-visual people, they take a more conventional view.

Your preference to help others learn and view things differently appears to be an example of the gifting love language.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Interestingly, the fifth love language appears to affect people's demeanor. A person with low gifting love language will appear naive (like the wind). Someone with low affirmation love language will appear distant (like wood). A person with low service love language appears whimsical (like fire), while someone with low physical intimacy love language appears cold or reserved (like metal).
What's the difference between "distant" and "cold or reserved"? What's distant about wood?

·
Registered
612 Posts
My Ayurveda constitution is Vata-Pitta. My learning style is Experience-Visual. And i am pathetic in team work, unless i am compatible with all the team members. Only this love language thing is new to me. How do I find out my love type?

Also I think when you are typing humans psychologically you need the typing mechanism to be somehow linked to the body biology. So can you draw a relation between MBTI & the Ayurveda constitution? If yes, then it would be very precise indeed. :)

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the difference between "distant" and "cold or reserved"? What's distant about wood?
"Distant" refers to how easily it appears to know a person, and how readily that person shares information. Someone who is "distant" is less likely to share details about his or her life, with people he is not familiar with. "Cold or reserved" is how much that person is willing to do something to please another person. If someone is "cold or reserved", then he is less willing to please, and more concerned with personal objectives or needs.

What do you mean?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.