Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be sort of accurate to say as a general rule INFJs are more vulnerable to peer pressure than INFPs?

I think my social isolation might have actually insulated me or sheltered me from a lot of it, but I do admit I felt pressured, and in situations where there was pressure, like smoking pot, I usually just caved in.

But I wonder if the INFJ Fe might want to fit in, whereas INFP's Fi is supposed to be more based on an internal value system. Like INFJs are more people pleasers. INFPs too because of conflict avoidance, but maybe less so.

Share experiences if you want, but please focus on the comparison between the two types. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think that this is probably true, and is also a general thing between P and J types.
The only INFP I know in real life is my friend's mom, so I can't say much about INFP peer-presure but with INFJ's I guess we're vulnerable to it.
Interesting topic!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would assume Fe users would be more vulnerable to peer pressure, as Fe is more about keeping other people happy. Fi users would probably be better able to resist because Fi focuses more on values and one's own feelings.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I also agree that not fitting in plays a factor. When you give into peer pressure, there's a sense of belonging. If a sense of belonging is lacking in your life already, then you're going to be vulnerable to peer pressure.

I've gotten frustrated with people also making comments, when I don't give in. I had one INFP friend that easily gave in as well.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you're going to use INFP and INFJ as abstract types, instead of say, using two people as an example. Then yes, INFP would be less vulnerable because of Fi's autonomous nature.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Can't answer for all INFJ's but in my case the only peer pressure that has ever affected me is usually that on a moral level. For instance when someone tries to convince me that my stance on something is immoral and I need to reconsider my thoughts and or actions. Doesn't necessarily mean I bend to it, but I can actually be swayed by someone who debates with me in this manner. Fe users tend to be pretty accommodating to the morals of others. I might feel guilty if I make a joke that someone takes offense to and will back off.

The type of peer pressure that didn't work on me: smoking, drinking, dressing a certain way, etc...any of that typical stuff people deal/dealt with in high school. I never cared that people viewed me as bizarre.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A little old thread, but I got interested.

I don't think I'm affected by peer pressure. I've been seen as odd for years and being myself was always more important than following some norms.

From my experience, it would seem that extroverted types are more likely to give in to peer pressure. Other than that, I'm not really sure. I actually found this thread through google while looking for an answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts