Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
INFJ

by Dr. A.J. Drenth (recently updated!)

INFJs are among the rarest of the sixteen personality types, constituting only 1-3% of the general population. Unlike INTJs, in which males predominate, there is greater gender parity among INFJs, with nearly equal numbers of males and females.

It is difficult to broadly classify INFJs as either right-brained or left-brained since they utilize both sides of the brain with equal adeptness. INFJs are both creative and responsible, artistic and logical, spiritual and scientific, intuitive and analytic.

INFJs grow up feeling “different” from their peers. The more pronounced their Introversion and Intuition, the more estranged they are likely to feel. Young INFJs also feel misunderstood by their elders, who can be quick to ignore or dismiss their precocious insights and observations. If given unsympathetic circumstances, INFJs may come to feel isolated or rejected rather early in life.

INFJs are “old souls.” They grow up feeling far wiser than would be predicted by their chronological age. Some may experience themselves as wiser than their teachers or parents. They may take on the role of counseling and advising their friends and siblings, or even their adult family members, from an extraordinarily young age.

Having discovered the benefits of their Introverted Intuition (Ni) quite early in life, INFJs grow to trust its judgments and insights. Their Ni often works through dreams or premonitions that turn out to be startlingly prescient. While others may at first be skeptical of INFJ’s powers of insight or foresight, many will come to see them as psychic or prophetic, or at least highly perceptive.

For the rest of this article, please visit the link above.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Totally fascinating and never will I doubt my type again.
There isn't one thing said here where I am like "Huh"?
I wish I could thank this post 10 times.

I crushed out most of the victim in me over my life time, which is why I am often weary and short with whiny INFJs .. But it's not like I don't get it.. It's just .. I am like a holier than thou reformed smoker in this aspect.
I have worked on this so much because I became aware of how boring it is to others, to talk about problems without trying to find a solution, acting like there is no alternative and taking no accountability (blaming everyone and everything else) .
At some point the depressed INFJ must come to understand that they are the master of their emotions and perceptions.
If they are depressed and alienated it's because they are depressing and alienating.
Likewise attracts likewise.
Good luck to those poor souls, and may they find the balance.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Good to see it's updated and a lot longer now! I posted the old (pre-update) version here a while ago because I felt it was the most accurate description I had read, and it has only gotten better. Great find :)

Just one small point of critique: it would be nice if you could also include the links he used in the post on his website. For example: "Introverted Intuition (Ni) is the dominant function for both INFJs and INTJs. For an overview of its nature and workings, see this post." Of course you could click on the link to the page (which you provided) and go to the other pages through there, but it'd be nice if links were added here as well.

But it doesn't really matter because the article is FUCKING AWESOME. It's like a lush oasis in a desert of ridiculous descriptions. I actually feel like he's describing me, rather than perpetuating existing stereotypes he read in other descriptions.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Wow this was awesome. I'm definitely an INFJ. I've had to work through sooo many of the problems listed. And now my problem is career related. Funny enough I keep being attracted to all those things listed. I'm just afraid to choose any of them because they don't pay "well." Seems like most things involving helping people pay the least.

·
Registered
583 Posts
This description is what made me accept that yes, I am INFJ. All the other descriptions seems like they are describing someone else. I especially related to the part where he describes the development of Ti. I really only had a chance to develop it more fully within the last 2-3 years and it has made a huuuge difference in how I perceive the world, and what I am now interested most in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok thank you you INFJ's are hard to find so i know this is an old thread but i was hoping you guys would still help me out. My sister in a INFJ.....she hoards and yet i see how she is a perfectionist. I am a ISTP and trying to live with her is sooooo annoying to me because of her weird emotions and the fact that she wont accept basic logic as an ISTP this is really annoying another thing with me is i have these ridiculously angry out bursts (like almost a hole through three inches of drywall angry) but then im done no more. SHe has this things that go on for months.
She has also built up a dislike for me as i have against her and I could care less emotions dont matter to me but her......wow.....anyway PLEASE HELP i dont know how to deal with her type.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Is AJ Drenth a fly in my head/mind?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totally fascinating and never will I doubt my type again.
There isn't one thing said here where I am like "Huh"?
I wish I could thank this post 10 times.

I crushed out most of the victim in me over my life time, which is why I am often weary and short with whiny INFJs .. But it's not like I don't get it.. It's just .. I am like a holier than thou reformed smoker in this aspect.
I have worked on this so much because I became aware of how boring it is to others, to talk about problems without trying to find a solution, acting like there is no alternative and taking no accountability (blaming everyone and everything else) .
At some point the depressed INFJ must come to understand that they are the master of their emotions and perceptions.
If they are depressed and alienated it's because they are depressing and alienating.
Likewise attracts likewise.
Good luck to those poor souls, and may they find the balance.

Hey.

I understand the point you make about controlling emotions.

However, I think it is unhelpful - when trying to help someone - to employ generalised labeling, especially when it comes to depression. To say that a person is depressed or alienated simply because he or she is depressing or alienating is to ignore the myriad other factors which often play a significant role in the situation.

But I am most certainly searching for balance - thank you for the good wishes.

Peace

·
Registered
70 Posts
Now I am definitly sure I am an INFJ! As it says, most accurate analysis!
I could relate to some stuff which was posted in the ISJF-forum but half of the time it didn't feel right. With this analysis every word could be mine and it gave me a great insight why I am and fell like I do. Wow!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so grateful to know that there are others out there in this universe who get it!*

At 61 I have lived everything in this article to one degree or another.*
I am at a transition and finding this information at this time is mind blowing.
I had been recently thinking about how to make sense of my life choices.
I went back and read astrological charts that had been interpreted for me over the years.
I am struck by how this article reminds me of an astrology charting.
Has anyone compared astrology to the Kiersey Temperaments?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.