Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which personality type do you guys feel like is the most common for a type 4 to be? My theory is ESFP due to the extroverted, sensitivity, feeling, and because type fours don't take care of themselves well I would guess perception... Just a theory...

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts
Technically, any MBTI type can be any enneagram type.

However, around here I've seen largely INFJ, INFP, ENFP, and ISFP, with the ocassional xNTP. I also agree that ESFP could be a 4ish type in part because of the emphasis on emotionality. Although I think a lot of ESFPs are type 7 as well, maybe due to Se.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Many enneagram authors associate e4 with poor sensing....the 4 does not have a great grasp of concrete reality. They live in exaggerated emotions, fantasy ideals, romantic tragedies, etc. They interpret the past & present in ways that explain their present image, often a "broken but special" identity, and they imagine a future that will allow them to fulfill their ideal identity.

Naranjo (who is largely credited for developing the modern enneagram system) notes that Jung's Fi description is closest to the e4, but also notes that introverted types who prefer feeling & intuition are most likely to be 4s (that's INFPs & INFJs). Riso (The Wisdom of the Enneagram author) thinks Ni is closest to the 4 description. This suggest INFP, INFJ & ISFP as most likely to be 4s, and that's generally the case. ENFPs are rather common too, but 4 is not generally associated with extroversion.

Both seem to hold the idea that sensing & thinking are not very 4ish. This makes a Se-dom like an ESFP far less likely than an INFP or INFJ to be a 4. The sensing type most commonly 4 is the ISFP, and they often are heavily introverted Fi-dom & can be easily confused with INFx types. Not to say an ESFP could not be a 4, but ExFP 7w6s & 6w7s are often confused for 4s, and an actual ESFP 4 may be closer to ambiversion than a marked extrovert. An ESFP is more likely to be a 4 though than, say, an ESTJ.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Personally, 4 seems rather INFP. Their independence/individualism is very IxxP, their tendency to imagine (fantasize/idealize) would be N, and their emotions/sensitivity would be F. Idk, all the 4 descriptions i've read just screamed "INFP" at me XD

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
4w3 and most likely an ESFP. If not that, then ISFP.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am oscillating between ENFP and INFP, but why do you say 4 don't take care of themselves? I think it depends on the person and their global health

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Fours do take care of themselves. At least some of them. Might be the fact that many are INFPs as well, and some of them tend to overlook themselves in times of depression. Healthy fours do care about themselves. After all, who else will do it, if we're so damn individualistic!
I'm of the small faction of 4s that is an extrovert, and have been told so many times that I'm obnoxious or exasperating by mean people, that by now, I find it very difficult to ask for help, and even difficult to accept it, if it's something major, because I don't want to be obnoxious. So I do stuff myself. But I care about myself and make sure I make myself as happy as I can, doing it on my own.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't think it would be ESFP because I think most Fours would be introverts.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't think it would be ESFP because I think most Fours would be introverts.
Most, but not all. Enneagrams and MBTI aren't mutually inclusive or exclusive for certain combinations, just some are more likely than others. I am a very introverted extrovert and in a lot of societies will behave like an introvert, however, my dominant function is Se, not Fi, that's my auxiliary. And I am an individualist. I don't want to, but am also unable to change for others approval. I'm just me, take it or leave it; there is a lot coming from me that is purely me and if I were to try trace my inspiration to something external, I would be unable to (4). Yet at the same time it breaks my heart when people dislike what they see, or don't appreciate how I am or give me any cheers and validation, because I want my share of attention (w3).

Reactions: username123

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
Reactions: Dora
1 - 20 of 24 Posts