Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a discussion of some type of theory, which type do you guys think would be more likely to bring up counterarguments and get pleasure from playing devil's advocate?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I associate playing devil's advocate with ENTPs, but I've noticed that over the years, my ENTJ always has a counterargument for something. If he doesn't, he'll stay quiet about it, mull it over for a while, and later on (sometimes even days later, when the conversation is all but forgotten) he'll bring it up and [try to] completely destroy the opposing position.

My INTJ dad does this to some extent, but once the conversation is over he won't suddenly bring it up a couple days later. Rather, I think, he'll just remember it the next time a similar argument/debate comes up.

EDIT: I think I completely missed the point of your question. Between INTJs and ENTJs, ENTJs seem to like playing devil's advocate more. Overall, though, I think it's your average ENTP who likes arguing for the sake of arguing more.

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've had numerous ex-girlfriends state that one of the reasons they ended things with me is that I wouldn't stop playing Devil's Advocate. I'm sure I piss the wife off with the same mindset. My thinking is that if we have the same or similar views on a topic, you're wasting both our time by discussing it.

There's a gag in the Simpsons where Homer says he wishes to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, then cut's to...

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Ben is right, ENTPs are more likely to do it for kicks, as a game, as "playing" devil's advocate. INTPs too, sometimes. NTJs will have a reason to bring up a counterargument - because you are wrong, because it hasn't been explored, because it is really cool. Usually because you are wrong or incomplete in your argument, so how much they do it will depend on the other person....

Also, both try to look at things with different perspectives (Ni), but since ENTJ leads with Te, they are probably more likely to focus on just the ones they consider practical ; Dom-Ni means one is more likely to entertain less likely perspectives, just to see if you can learn something, just out of fascination, because your mind just does that. So I guess an INTJ would be more likely to bring these into the discussion. If, that is, they feel like talking to you at all - always an important caveat. ENTJs do just talk more, so that is a push in the other direction.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry, I failed to answer the question.

I find that my ENTJ friend is quite prone to doing so, provided that he's getting paid for it, or the crowd isn't objectionable. I find that I need a very small group in order to do so, but it doesn't mean my head doesn't do it when I'm with bigger numbers.

Not a definative answer, but some in-field experiences.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Also, both try to look at things with different perspectives (Ni), but since ENTJ leads with Te, they are probably more likely to focus on just the ones they consider practical ; Dom-Ni means one is more likely to entertain less likely perspectives, just to see if you can learn something, just out of fascination, because your mind just does that. So I guess an INTJ would be more likely to bring these into the discussion. If, that is, they feel like talking to you at all - always an important caveat. ENTJs do just talk more, so that is a push in the other direction.
I have found this between me and an ENTJ friend.

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
INTJ. ENTJs are too busy solving things an leveraging others to solve it. Long-winded theoretical discussions are not their thing. They really like theory, as long as they can use it.

(I'm beginning to secretly suspect I might be more ENTJ than I like to admit).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts