Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking around in the net and it's a bit hard to come by a good list of motivational films. So I'm making this thread to find some suggestions for me and others interested in the same sort of film.

When I refer to motivational, I am referring to those kind of movies that make you jump from your sit and start training for some sport, practicing some skill, or even set you on a journey of self improvement.

The best examples I have are the movie 'Gattaca', and the feelings some people get from watching anime like Naruto, Dragon Ball Z or Yu yu hakusho.

Here is some examples of my own. I have been motivated by the following:

The Bourne Conspiracy - this trilogy is great! Bourne is so efficient and well trained that I think it is a great example of discipline and endurance.

Batman Begins - I'm just a Batman fan. I think this character is defined by discipline, hard work, intelligence, and will power.

So I'm looking for movies which involve the following elements:

- discipline
- training/ practice
- will power
- tenacity
- perseverance
- hard work
- self improvement

Secondary and/or complementary interests:

- independent films
- foreign films
- documentaries
- martial arts
- detective movies
- psychology

Films that have this sort of elements usually are super hero movies, martial arts movies, and some action films. But you can post anything that seems related to the above. Hope to get lots of suggestions for everyone around.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
La strada

I found it more emotionally motivational than physically motivational though, so not quite what you're looking for... thought I'd mention it anyway.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I thought Butterfly Effect was quite motivational in that it emphasizes maintaining control of your decisions and perception of all the possible outcomes for one's future---which makes one want to optimize time and friendships.

That's just first one that came to mind; I'll come back to repost if and when others come to mind.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
1. The Holy Mountain

2. Garbage Warrior

3. The Qatsi Trilogy
a.) Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of balance (1983)

b.) Powaqqatsi: Life in transformation (1988)

c.) Naqoyqatsi: Life as war (2002)

4. Waking Life

5. What The Bleep Do We Know?

6. El Topo

7. Voces Inocentes (Innocent Voices)

8. Emma Goldman on PBS

9. Český Sen (Czech Dream)

10. Home

11. How Bruce Lee Changed The World

12. Indoctrinate U

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
La strada

I found it more emotionally motivational than physically motivational though, so not quite what you're looking for... thought I'd mention it anyway.
Haven't heard of this one before so I'll check it out. Thank you.

V For Vendetta most definitely.
I saw this one, but it was so good! Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to watch it again.

I thought Butterfly Effect was quite motivational in that it emphasizes maintaining control of your decisions and perception of all the possible outcomes for one's future---which makes one want to optimize time and friendships.

That's just first one that came to mind; I'll come back to repost if and when others come to mind.
I also saw this one a long time ago. I agree with your reason for posting it here. Please, do post more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. The Holy Mountain

The Holy Mountain Trailer

2. Garbage Warrior
Garbage Warrior

3. The Qatsi Trilogy
a.) Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of balance (1983)

Koyaanisqatsi
b.) Powaqqatsi: Life in transformation (1988)

Powaqqatsi

c.) Naqoyqatsi: Life as war (2002)

Naqoyqatsi

4. Waking Life
Waking Life

5. What The Bleep Do We Know?
What The Bleep Do We Know?

6. El Topo
El Topo Trailer

7. Voces Inocentes (Innocent Voices)
Voces Inocentes

8. Emma Goldman on PBS
Emma Goldman

9. Český Sen (Czech Dream)
Český Sen

10. Home
Home

11. How Bruce Lee Changed The World
How Bruce Lee Changed The World

12. Indoctrinate U
Indoctrinate U
Wow, thanks a lot for this great post. I can't believe you took the time to post all those links. I have only heard about a few of these films, like 'The Holy Mountain' and 'El topo', but I haven't seen any. I'll check them one by one carefully. Thanks again. ; )

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
The Gladiator. - If only we were all so full of courage and integrity like Maximus.

Shawshank redemption. - coming out the other side a stronger person.

V for Vendetta - What is that saying... "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything".

The bucket list - Just do it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I doubt this is what you're looking for, and I doubt even more that you're looking for the sort of motivation that I gained from it, but... My friend and I had been wanted to cut our hair short for ages, but didn't have the guts. After seeing Yes Man we decided to seize the day, walked right out of the cinema and into a hairdresser. :crazy: Haha whatever helps, right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forrest Gump- Sorry it really is motivational to me Legendary- Rudy- I know it's lie but golly I like it Hoosiers-
Forrest Gump was great! It definitely goes in the list. The other three are new to me, so I'll be checking them out.
Freedom Writers.
This one moved me and it got me thinking. Nice suggestion.
The Gladiator. - If only we were all so full of courage and integrity like Maximus.

Shawshank redemption. - coming out the other side a stronger person.

V for Vendetta - What is that saying... "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything".

The bucket list - Just do it.
I can't believe I had forgotten about all this films. I saw them long ago, but I'm planning to see a few of these again! Isn't it good when you see a movie again with a totally different perspective after a few years has gone by?
I doubt this is what you're looking for, and I doubt even more that you're looking for the sort of motivation that I gained from it, but... My friend and I had been wanted to cut our hair short for ages, but didn't have the guts. After seeing Yes Man we decided to seize the day, walked right out of the cinema and into a hairdresser. Haha whatever helps, right?
hahah Very funny movie and it did got me thinking about things a bit different. This is what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definitely among best: Peaceful Warrior, Yes Man (although a bit silly), Fight Club and many war movies as well.

Reactions: Bunker Man

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Inception motivated me to sleep more :tongue:

·
Registered
22 Posts
a documentary called "Crazy Sexy Cancer" about Kris Carr's journey to find a "natural" treatment to her cancer.

I don't have cancer and don't know anyone who does, but am so inspired by her story to keep living after her diagnosis :) It really puts things into perspective.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Chariots of Fire This is the story of two men who run.. to prove something to the world. They will sacrifice anything to achieve their goals...Except their honor. ( tag line stolen from IMDB, cause I'm too lazy to think of my own)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blades of Glory

Trash Humpers

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Room (The whole production is motivating to aspiring filmmakers)

Fitzcarraldo

Salo: 120 Day of Sodom (Ok... probably not that one, unless you're a budding fascist who get's off on torture and poo)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The Social Network

1 - 20 of 21 Posts