Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
knowing what is saving your life?

For me...most recently...it was taking a risk, facing longtime fears, and starting to make positive change. Seeking counseling...and starting the healing process... I can slowly feel myself coming alive again.

And more simply...at this moment...the fan in my room is saving me...because it's HOT! And the sound of my dog snoring while he sleeps...

INFPs....what is saving you?

·
Registered
188 Posts
knowing what is saving your life?

For me...most recently...it was taking a risk, facing longtime fears, and starting to make positive change. Seeking counseling...and starting the healing process... I can slowly feel myself coming alive again.

And more simply...at this moment...the fan in my room is saving me...because it's HOT! And the sound of my dog snoring while he sleeps...

Music. It's my heart and soul and pretty much all I got going for me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Finding purpose for the things that I feel are harming me saves me. Digging for the positive amongst a pool of negative drives me. Seeing my life as a journey has saved my life. Appreciating what I have been given, such as being blessed with beautiful friends, gives me solace.

It killed my spirit when I would come alive at the possibilities my mind conjured up and my heart desired, but didn't believe I could have those things. It keeps me alive, when I remember I always have the whole world in my hands. I have control over my perspective and where it leads me.

Inspiration and love saves me. Savoring every moment for it's beauty and connection and not consequence makes me appreciate the time I have with the people I love.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
What is saving me more than anything is my wife, as well as music. Both mean so much to me in my life.

4,757 Posts
That I took therapy and was able to really figure myself out. That I'm taking anti-anxiety medication and so I my general standard of living has increased dramatically. For the first time in my life, I have real friends - people who I'm truly fond of and who are genuinely good people (as opposed to many other soured relationships in the past). That I can truly feel but not get smothered by it. That I have discovered a sense of self worth that was previously lacking (not too much, but definite progress). That I have a bedrock of optimism in my being, even if it is not always conciously present.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
No idea. I think the pure desire to not die is the only thing keeping me from killing myself.

But as for a reason to keep it going...

You've got me, I'm drawing a complete blank.

Just an FYI, true listlessness can numb you more than any copious amount of narcotics ever could.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sometimes it's books... I pretty much raised myself on books and it's how I'm building my value system, I think... But mostly it's my best friend... I know it's wrong to rely on him so much, but when we're talking I can see that the future does have the possibility of being okay.... That there's a reason to keep going because it can get better.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I exist for others.

And Music. I'm addicted to it. I'll stay up till 6am listening to it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an FYI, true listlessness can numb you more than any copious amount of narcotics ever could.
Yes...I understand.... I have felt numb for a very, very long time. I've recently started therapy and I'm just now realizing how numb I've really been...it's sad when I really think about it. For the first time in a long time...I finally feel like I've found the strength to pull out of it...and move forward.

I hope you find happiness and something to live for, I honestly do...because I understand and relate to the numbness...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Allow me to quote a man far wiser than myself; though I am not religious (and he is known for being such), he frequently saves me:

"Do not depend on the hope of results. You may have to face the fact that your work will be apparently worthless and even achieve no result at all, if not perhaps results opposite to what you expect. As you get used to this idea, you start more and more to concentrate not on the results, but on the value, the rightness, the truth of the work itself. You gradually struggle less and less for an idea and more and more for specific people. In the end, it is the reality of personal relationship that saves everything."

- Thomas Merton

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I am currently acutely looking for new ways. I am in the closing stages of an intense relationship which was from my end a lot less positive than I thought it was. I learned that loving is not by definition doing good and not by definition selfless. I am a slow learner.

So now I am both highly mixed up having a lot of closing and grieving ahead of me and reorienting. I think I liked the old pre relationship me better. I used to be there for everyone and I think that was a lot more fulfilling. Besides staying on the surface meaning less chance of hurting people instead of helping them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i've spent the past week watching films and reading about film making 24/7. its kept me sane, especially since otherwise im alone for the time being.

·
Registered
224 Posts
1) Running saved me...I would be in deep doo doo without it.
2) Reading's also saved me. Thank god for authors.
3) I also live for other people, but it can be kind of painful since you're bound to wind up disappointed (and it's not always the other person's fault).
4) The sheer curiosity of what'll come next keeps me going too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My belief to eventually live in a place on earth which is quiet and pleasant, and have a peaceful life in a slow pace and feel good about it. I just want an easy going life. I find expectations (From ourselves and from everyone and everything else) disturbing, stressing, and with the way the world runs itself I completely feel unattached to nearly everything around me.

Maybe i'm naive, or perhaps I live a vision. But that belief that I someday live that fantasy really keeps me going.:happy:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
more reason: i don't wanna die a virgin, i love the sensation of air moving in and outof my lungs, i haven't done anything with my life yet, books i haven't read enough yet, i want to share myself with the aand ihave so much more to give

Reactions: Memphisto
1 - 20 of 40 Posts