Personality Cafe banner

Which type is the most realistic of the NTs?

• ENTJ

Votes: 72 61.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • ENTP

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • INTP

Votes: 15 12.7%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean by realistic?
Realistic:
1. Tending to or expressing an awareness of things as they really are
2. Of or relating to the representation of objects, actions, or social conditions as they actually are

·
Registered
424 Posts
I picked ENTJ simply because realism is a extroverted. Realism requires input from reality and which introverts lack the effort to place themselves in. ENTPs would come in at second. But being realistic sucks, anyway. Rigid and not creative.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
In theory Te (concrete thinking) and Se (keeps you in tune with the outer world), I'll have to agree with ENTJ for this reason.

That's all I got though.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
ENTJ: Te dom, Ni is there but not too high and also has Se more dominant than any other NT.

Reactions: bionic

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
IME, I'd actually say INTJs. The ENTJs I've known were too optimistic and believed that "anything can be done, if approached the right way." For that, I love ENTJs. They're incredible to go to for practical take-action advice.

INTJs, at least the ones I've known, are a bit more fatalistic. For example, I remember my INTJ and ENTJ got into this long debate about whether someone could improve their intelligence. INTJ said no, it's genetic. The ENTJ said yes, people just don't actually try to do it, but it's possible.

Then again, pessimism certainly doesn't always mean realism, but by common definition, there's my answer.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't consider NTs to be very "realistic" people. The focus on theory and concepts can make them seem very detached from reality. I don't think logical = realistic either. The real world does not make logical sense all the time and a realistic person does not demand it to.

So I think I'd pin being realistic on the STs. Being Te-dom, ENTJs seem the most realistic of the NTs though. However, they still seem to be visionary types, less focused on what is than what could be, but Te may help them decide on how to implement these ideas in reality.

·
Registered
492 Posts
INTJs, at least the ones I've known, are a bit more fatalistic. For example, I remember my INTJ and ENTJ got into this long debate about whether someone could improve their intelligence. INTJ said no, it's genetic. The ENTJ said yes, people just don't actually try to do it, but it's possible.

Then again, pessimism certainly doesn't always mean realism, but by common definition, there's my answer.
First intelligence must be properly defined.

the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience

WordNet Search - 3.0

Intelligence is an umbrella term describing a property of the mind comprehending related abilities, such as the capacities for abstract thought, reasoning, planning and problem solving, the use of language, and to learn.

Intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The INTJ is partially correct. Yes, it is genetic, but it also depends on how you are raised. You can learn ways to be more intelligent, but it is very difficult, and most naturally intelligent people have never been taught those ways, but still use them.

The ENTJ might be thinking of knowledge, and yes you can get more knowledge, and no it is not genetic.

In a way, they are both correct, but both wrong.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
INTP, and here's why

ENTJ's are dominant and crazy libertarians. Libertarian, that's enough to prove you are dumb as a doorknob.
INTJ's think they can guess and know everything.
ENTP's don't even really try to be strongly realistic and instead are the world's lovable crackpot inventors.
INTP's are all about thinking and logic so therefore we see the truth.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sigh... The ENTJs would be the first ones to claim this for themselves.

A couple of things:

1. Where did the idea that S is more realistic than N come from? N is realistic, it just works by inferring the unseen from the seen. The unseen exists just as much as the seen.
2. INTPs are also "sensors among rationals" due to tertiary Si. And I simply don't buy that Se is more "realistic" than Si (or Ne or Ni for that matter).
3. Do you mean making seeing reality or making realistic decisions?

How would we even decide which type is more realistic? To be completely honest, I don't think any of these types will agree on what reality even IS (Especially the INTJs. I mean, have you ever talked to one? :tongue:)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Either ENTJs or INTJs, for different reasons. ENTJs are, like mentioned, tend to be optimistic (megalomaniacs)... while INTJs are.. gloomy people. Reality should be between them somewhere.

Not ENTP because reality is boring and not INTP because they see the details but seem to be missing the forest (or the continent) entirely. If it's an enclosed case of determined variables thing, INTP might work.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not ENTP because reality is boring and not INTP because they see the details but seem to be missing the forest (or the continent) entirely. If it's an enclosed case of determined variables thing, INTP might work.
...and ENTJs are so focused on having their "standards" and making sure everyone does things their way that they lose focus of what's really practical. Seriously, you can make any type seem unrealistic if you only focus on their weaknesses (but I don't think that's really a weakness of an INTP, probably more a result of them using Si because it's the only thing they have that's similar to anything you have). What about the ENTP's ability to infer things from the slightest detail? Or the INTP's ability to think outside the box when forming plans?

Personally, I'm tired of the "NTPs are disconnected from reality" meme. I'm very well connected with reality. I'm just not as well connected to your particular version of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts