Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone who reads this. :tongue:

I only just recently figured out that when people try to Motivate me with something I may be doing I often end up losing my self Motivation and end up slacking etc...

Though when someone tries to De-Motivate me with things such as "that's pointless, you can't do that, Give up, you won't make it/do it" I end up becoming full of self Motivation and really go for it.

I ain't really sure why this happens but I just recently noticed it and started thinking back on all the times I've done it.

Anyone know why this may be? Or anyone do or effected by something similar?
Would love to hear from you all. :tongue:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hmm, perhaps you want to do these things for solely your own reasons and for yourself? For example if others motivate you to do so then you feel that they're jumping on the bandwagon and it becomes less of a path of self-fulfilment and less important to you? This happened when I told a work colleague once at work a while back that I was considering travelling the world (not as a vacation but as a chance to find a course of life more true to who I am on an intuitive level) and she started saying how she wanted to come too (and to take me along to a bunch of places I had little interest in) and my motivation went flat. After that I didn't mention it again and it died down and my motivation returned a little (selfish I know.)

Perhaps you see it as compromise in a way, a compromise you don't want to make. On the other hand, when doing the impossible maybe you want to prove you can accomplish great things to yourself and maybe to the others, to prove your worth perhaps. In fact, both could perhaps be this same goal, with motivation and belief from others undermining the sheer audacity of the task. I get this feeling sometimes, though I tend to believe others when told something is impossible so can't really recount my own tale on that one.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I certainly find more pleasure in exceeding expectations than getting a pat on the back for nothing big.

Yet in an odd way I always hype up other peoples accomplishments even if they're pretty crappy. I'd like to think it's cause i'm a motivator, but I think it's because I just have such low expectations for people that I applaud them for wiping their own ass.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies :)

Most of what has been said is true, I don't like to be pushed into something especially if I just don't want to do whatever it is, and about people killing my motivation which was explained about your colleague is the same thing I get a lot.

This is where it gets fun because I always think nothing is impossible, So when someone tries telling me something is, I'll go at it head on, Even when I start telling myself " maybe this is impossible" I just get even more motivated to keep going. Then I get other people saying "why you doing it's impossible, you're wasting your time oh well" etc etc, All that keeps me going to, It's all very strange.

Wheres the tongue smiley face gone?? :sad:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I feel the exact same way, it's like when someone tells me or tries to motivate me into doing something then it feels like I'm supposed to be motivated to do that thing, so being motivated is required, and if it's required then it's not genuine motivation for me anymore since I didn't bring it onto myself, but it was pushed on me.

4,757 Posts
I'm a perverse person, I can't help it.

I really need my own motivation if I'm going to do something. That's the only way I'm going to truly put my heart into it.

Reactions: starflower and Riy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought I was a Commie despite people trying to convince me it doesn't work. Now I think it may be BECAUSE OF instead... :mellow:

Reactions: Riy

·
Registered
188 Posts
I do the same thing, instinctively anyway. I try to counter my natural tendency to want to prove whoever is talking about me wrong, but sometimes I can't help it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts