Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My belief is that (ill use the saying I hate) "Everything happens for a reason" but its not fate but a motivation. We all have a purpose for what we do, be it from the time you wake up to the time you fall asleep we are all driven by something.

What is your belief is the core motivating factor of an ISTJ's personality for being the way we are?

If your an ISTJ: Is this belief reflected in career decisions? For what purpose? How so?

If your an ISTJ: Do you feel you deviate from the typical motivation regularly or not? Do you feel your being authentic when deviating from your core motivation?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Perhaps I tackled too large of a topic with not enough guidance.

As an ISTJ I find that my personality is shaped with aims of doing right and being right. Always I think to myself how I need to become more disciplined in the tasks I do in order to have a more ideal outcome in general.

I haven't made a career yet, but my major in college has been aimed towards dealing with things, and not people. As an introvert social interaction wears on me and other parts of me don't give me strong drive to be the socialite but instead a bit of a loner. Programming and technical support seem to work towards my strengths and motivation when I look at lines of code its obvious when something is incorrect or to strive for a more correctly functioning computer is a great goal.

Sometimes I care about winning and proving I am up to par, others opinions and self-value are things I need to create. I don't like feeling like I must prove myself to others and myself but its the only way it can be done. When I do this I feel almost like such acts are unnatural/unauthentic and the purpose for doing such acts are out of place in my life.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
My belief is that (ill use the saying I hate) "Everything happens for a reason" but its not fate but a motivation. We all have a purpose for what we do, be it from the time you wake up to the time you fall asleep we are all driven by something.
I agree with this in a general sense. Too often, if our goals are not clearly defined we can find ourselves wandering in a morass, lost as to our real purpose in life. We thrive on structure and when it is not there, we can become depressed. Remember when Sunflower was dealing with this a couple of months ago? Change and unstructured lifestyles are difficult for us. Otherwise, yes--we are driven by something.

What in your belief, is at the core of an ISTJ's personality for being the way we are?
I think what you are asking may be different than what you are intending to ask, based on your second post. As asked, I would say that fear drives us to be in control, which in turn makes us take a lot of pains to ensure that we truly understand something--paying attention to details--so that we can ultimately feel comfortable that we are correct in whatever we are doing. However, as you answered in your second post, it sounds like that you might be intending to ask, "What ISTJ trait causes us to be so detail oriented?" Which would be what you have pointed out--we want to be correct in our assessment.

If your an ISTJ: Is this belief reflected in career decisions? For what purpose? How so?
I would think so. I work with cars because the variables are very small. For most intents and purposes, the bolt hole is in the right location or it isn't. The thread pitch is correct or it isn't. The timing is correct or it isn't. As opposed to say, building a house, where no wall is square and you use caulk to make everything look ok. I agree with your assessment that I prefer working alone for the most part.

If your an ISTJ: Do you feel you deviate from the typical motivation regularly or not? Do you feel your being authentic when deviating from your core motivation?
I am flexible enough that I don't feel inauthentic if I deviate from my normal methods or motivations. I care about them and support them, but it does not bother me to do a little outside of the box thinking/working.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't know, and I don't want to think too deeply about it, because I'm afraid if I find what motivates me I might loose it, that or I'll find out I've been running on empty this whole time. If something comes to me without me thinking about it much then I'll post it, otherwise I'll have to refrain.

Now the trick is not thinking about an idea that was just placed in my head, and I'm failing :confused:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I am driven by a sense of duty and loyalty to myself and my causes. Also i have a very competitve nature and tap into that to drive myself during times of great depression when i feel like i cannot move another inch.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
*stares blankly*
Why do you stare blankly
When i mean sense of duty i mean above what a normal ISTJ would feel. I consider myself bound as much as i can find it out (for it has been almost annihlated in recent decades) to the code of southern honor.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Sometimes I care about winning and proving I am up to par, others opinions and self-value are things I need to create. I don't like feeling like I must prove myself to others and myself but its the only way it can be done. When I do this I feel almost like such acts are unnatural/unauthentic and the purpose for doing such acts are out of place in my life.
I feel like that alot but I dnt let it undermine my efforts of doing what I want to do, So for me it does feel weird but I shrug it off and keep going.Hope I explained myself in a way that makes sense lol :tongue:

Reactions: Sela and niss
1 - 10 of 10 Posts