Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so obviously we are all rediculously talented at apathy, but can do pretty much anything if we feel like it. Well, I've kind of been in a rut recently, where I have minimal interest towards pretty much everything, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get motivated, or to trick yourself into being interested.

P.S. If anyone says just think of the reward then I will indeed have a new interest. Tracking you down and showing you the error of your ways. Don't risk it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok, so obviously we are all rediculously talented at apathy, but can do pretty much anything if we feel like it. Well, I've kind of been in a rut recently, where I have minimal interest towards pretty much everything, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get motivated, or to trick yourself into being interested.

P.S. If anyone says just think of the reward then I will indeed have a new interest. Tracking you down and showing you the error of your ways. Don't risk it.

I'm feeling much the same actually. I have a big set of exams in a month's time, and I have done absolutely no revision for them, even though I know I'm likely to fail. I find that the only way for me to do well at something is if I don't have to force myself to do it. For example, I do a lot of practice with bass guitar, drums and trumpet, because I really enjoy those things.

Reactions: Aquc

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get motivated, or to trick yourself into being interested.
None whatsoever. It's a real problem.

I've had a lot of different interests in my life, mostly involving study and research. I still have a million things I want to learn, but my motivation to do so has tanked in the last year due to Se neglect. I don't think I'll be able to get it back without a major dose of novelty to shake things up.

So far I've been unable to come up with anything extreme enough. All I really feel like doing is shouting at people. Beating them at poker and taking their money helps too. But it's not enough.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You need some Se to brighten up your life.
Pretty much this.

Go out and do shit. If you don't feel like doing it, do it anyway.

One thing I've gotten good at is not needing motivation to do something. Usually a simple, "Well, what else is there to do?" will get me off my ass.

·
Registered
715 Posts
think of the rewards.
i'm nearer than the rice-boy. you're welcome. now get off your island!

i just recently ended another of those no-motivation-periods... mostly because i was so bored of my own life i thought even meeting random people would be better. i met about 10 people. all were idiots so i decided to entertain myself and just started doing whatever came to my mind - at that very moment. no excuses.
so... maybe you just have to wait until you're fed up with boredom?

Reactions: Cloudlight and Aquc

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Depends on the type of motivation you are looking for. If you can not be bothered at all and see no positive outcome or usefulness for the thing you are trying to motivate yourself for then... your SoL and JwF.

I also had major trouble finding the motivation to go to lectures and study for college but... i solved it with setting a long-term goal. And to reach that long term goal, i will need the stupid piece of paper from college to have a chance on earning the money for it. So that means that attending lectures, studying for the tests and exams is worth the time spent because it gets you closer to where you want to be in life.

For other types of motivation like... getting out of a rut or whatever then the best option is to activate the Se and just... live life to the fullest. Just get out of the house, walk, drive and enjoy what is out there. Where you go and what you do does not matter at all. Getting outside of the cave and your rut is all that matters.

Reactions: Benja and Aquc

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so far I have; Get my ass out and about (because honestly, its not right keeping a donkey locked up)
Plan a trip to New York at some point
Figure out how Chrisu managed to be born in the country of Europe (then road trip!)
Prove Benja wrong

I am genuinely feeling more motivated already.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Figure out how Chrisu managed to be born in the country of Europe (then road trip!)
(it's good will. how many non-europeans would know austria anyway?)

Reactions: Aquc

·
Registered
182 Posts
I get really motivated when people tell me I can't do something.QUOTE]

true, one of the things switches off of my apathy is when i face challenge...
or when others doubt about my abilities ...

try to do something new you ever did , even if you dont like it , maybe it make a kind of interesting time ... or to visit place you ever liked to go ...

some times we all need to try things that are completly opposite to our nature, it helps to discover hidden parts in ourselves , or we just will figure out how we would deal with things in these situations ..

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
DamageMeters.

I am not competitive in the manner that I'd need to be the best in anything, but I do not want to be the worst either. I noticed that my raid dps increased when I installed a damagemeter, because it allowed me to keep tabs on others' results and compare mine to theirs in real time. I didn't want to end up in the bottom; I tried to keep myself in the highest 1/3 of the comparison group.

I still am trying to figure out how to implement this in my work. This far the best option has been to "invent" a comparison group data and make up a very short term goal based on that. Like, process n items per day / week / month (where n is an average the others do + 1 to be on the safe side). Finish at least two pieces of work per day. Read at least 200 pages a day. Write at least two sheets per day. And stick to it. On the other hand, when you're filled your quota, go play. Alternatively, do some extra to have more play time next day..

So, basically, make up a reason to do whatever you're supposed to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts