Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other ISTPs here that are interested in/own motorcycles? It feels like something that would be synonymous with our type, no?
I'm 17 and I am looking forward to buying my first motorcycle soon and wanted to see if anyone here shares the interest.

Reactions: MrFrenk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes. Definitely. However getting a license where I am is way out of my budget at the moment.

Doesn't mean I don't go around admiring other people's bikes and wishing I had one. =/

Reactions: Dalton_C and chrisu

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles since I was 5. I've got a Daytona 675 and a CRF250X right now. Most enjoyable thing in life as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You'd be surprised how many non-ISTPs you'll find riding bikes. You know biker clubs (perhaps other than possibly actual gang members)? ISTPs in a club? Nah.
I'm not that surprised. Clubs aren't really my thing. I'd rather just go on small rideouts with a group of friends.
Also I have a CBR125 and looking to take the next stage of bike test in the next month or two.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You'd be surprised how many non-ISTPs you'll find riding bikes.
Or the other way around? My lust for adrenaline ends at motorcycles, I like to look at them but it's not enough protection for me (I prefer cars).

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Or the other way around? My lust for adrenaline ends at motorcycles, I like to look at them but it's not enough protection for me (I prefer cars).
I guess it's partly about where you live. Here in Sweden, traffic is mostly so low that the only real dangers to riders are wildlife and the riders themselves. Both of these factors can be pretty much eliminated by keeping margins when riding.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm in England, and as long as your not an idiot its just as safe as driving a car. I will accept the statistics say otherwise, but then most car drivers I know don't double the speed limit on a "nice bit of road" so I think that plays a large part. I'm safer on a bike anyway. It comes more naturally, and I pay more attention. The thrill is just a nice bit extra.

Honestly, just ask to have a ride on the back of one at some point. I thought it would scare the heck out of me, when actually it was great.

Reactions: Dalton_C

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Honestly, just ask to have a ride on the back of one at some point. I thought it would scare the heck out of me, when actually it was great.
I did try it, many times. I drove the simple automatics and scooters and I drove on the back of a Harley (that one doesn't scare me, it's too clumsy ;)) and a Honda. But I witnessed a crash with a car where the bike driver literally flew through the air off the street. Also, I was once a volunteer with disabled people and the guy who was absolutely in the worst condition was one who was in a motorbike crash and was paralyzed everywhere except for the eyes (and mentally he was okay, which I deem destiny worse than death).

So no on motorcycles for me, but to you guys I wish all the luck. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I did try it, many times. I drove the simple automatics and scooters and I drove on the back of a Harley (that one doesn't scare me, it's too clumsy ;)) and a Honda. But I witnessed a crash with a car where the bike driver literally flew through the air off the street. Also, I was once a volunteer with disabled people and the guy who was absolutely in the worst condition was one who was in a motorbike crash and was paralyzed everywhere except for the eyes (and mentally he was okay, which I deem destiny worse than death).

So no on motorcycles for me, but to you guys I wish all the luck. :)
Fair enough, all credit to you for trying.

Reactions: Darner

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had enough money for a bike/gear/insurance and was about to get one but then some unexpected things came up. So hopefully soon I can get one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I really would like to get a motorcycle. I ride with one of my friends who has a big ol' cruiser and, man, is it FUN!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got my basic handling a month ago just need to get around to sitting the license, getting a shitty little GN125 for around town till I can afford something else, but bikes are good fun.

Usually double with a friend on their Kawasaki ninja ZX-6R think it is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, I've been debating whether I should work on getting my motorcycle license (like I really want to) or stick with getting a regular one for now. Can't do both - insurance costs too much :confused:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Yeah, I've been debating whether I should work on getting my motorcycle license (like I really want to) or stick with getting a regular one for now. Can't do both - insurance costs too much :confused:
Motorcycles don't necessary equal crotch rockets. You need to be a good rider for my bike to be the limiting factor when riding, and it costs less than $500 a year in insurance for me. So ok, it's not an expense you want as a student, for example, but otherwise it's mainly a question of priorities.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'd also love to get one, mainly for just cruising around on nice chill roads. People around here are crazy, suck at driving, and are always on their phones while doing so. I'd be really paranoid riding one during the busy work commuting hours.

There's nothing wrong with a good car, can listen to tunes easier and carry stuff well while still taking the curves aggressively and punching the accelerator.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2003 R6. Love it. My first bike was a 2000.

I haven't ridden in about six months though, initially due to the fact that my rear tire was worn down to the cords and I didn't have money for new tires. I have the money now, but now that I haven't been riding and I'd have to throw on new tires to "get back into," it's made me start to think about the wisdom of it...

It's just so damn hard for me not to ride those things like a fucking maniac.

And, you know, my permit is long expired, as is my registration, and I never had insurance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts