Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my Associates degree after 6 years of part time college, but want to get my bachelors in idk what yet.
Been with my girlfriend for 7 years next month. We've been discussing moving in with eachother in a year to two years.
Have some debt to pay off before moving out of parents house.

Should I move in with her and then finish school?

OR

Finish school (which would take 3-4 years) and then move in with her?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Hrmm, how old are you and how serious is the relationship?
-------

Outside of that though, I assume that's student loan debt? I'm not sure how it is for you, but up in Canada you never really have to pay it as the interest is tax deductible.

Also, is there any particular reason why you can't hardcore your bachelors in 2 years? -- Assuming you live with the parents and do schooling full time.

edit: May also depend on the field you intend to go into and hiring prospects.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My debt is from doctors bills and from a loan I had to borrow (roughly $4800 total besides student loans) from someone close to pay off my credit card so that I don't keep accumulating interest. Once I have that paid off, which should be about a year, then I will be more financially stable for moving out. I am 24 and my gf is 22. She is done with school and has no student loans. I have student loans but I don't have to start paying them off yet, especially if I go back to school. Our relationship is serious. We have been together for 7 years and plan on getting married but lack to money to do it right now. Plus we want to live together for a bit and get settled in first. I can only go to school part time because I have to work full time to pay off my debt and pay my monthly bills. So, I can either wait to go back to school or suffer living at home 3 more years while I try to finish up school by working half time and going to school part time. The schools that I would go to are private, so it is too expensive to go full time. I rely on financial aid, so that is why I can only go part time.

·
Registered
444 Posts
speaking from my experience

I'd suggest finish school and get out of debt before moving out.

..you could also move out once your debt is paid off..it will be an INCREDIBLE relief to get out of debt, you said just one more year. it is well worth suffering at home for a short time longer to have that burden lifted off. I swear you loose like 45.67 lbs. your satisfaction with moving out w/out debt will be much greater than moving out with a pile of debt (and with a pretty good chance of increasing or a short time while getting used to being on your own)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts