Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! :)

What type do you think could Amelie - from the movie "Amelie from Montmartre" - be? I'm thinking something introverted/ethical...EII? (haven't analyzed anything, guessing from details that come to mind first)

And the main characters of "Midnight in Paris"? - Gil seems to me a somewhat lyrical/romantic ethical type... Inez - sensing logical maybe...to me she seems aristocratic, so maybe beta or delta..?

I know that people say - you can't properly type movie characters, because 1) the character isn't a real person, so his/her personality is kind of one-sided...or smth like that... and 2) because the personality of the actor sometimes shows through.

Anyway - I would love to hear some opinions - also about other movies' characters... So, if anyone is interested in this topic - comments are very welcome :)

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Amelie - IEI

Gil - EII
Inez - LSE

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of agree about Gil and Inez. Those types make sense, I think...I would have guessed that Inez is a LSE. Although, I - don't know, why - thought of Gil more as of an IEI...they didn't get along too good and, by theory, LSE + IEI have conflict relationship. (those characters also had very different systems of values...)Oh wow, maybe this theory does make sense. :D Or maybe they are EII and LSE, a dual couple, who just couldn't get over their differences? :D
(Ok, i'm not a professional at socionics, have explored the theory and forums for quite a while, but am not sure I'm getting everything righ...and sometimes i doubt if this theory even works in real life, so...)

Amelie an IEI...? Maybe, maybe...

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
I kind of agree about Gil and Inez. Those types make sense, I think...I would have guessed that Inez is a LSE. Although, I - don't know, why - thought of Gil more as of an IEI...they didn't get along too good and, by theory, LSE + IEI have conflict relationship. (those characters also had very different systems of values...)Oh wow, maybe this theory does make sense. :D Or maybe they are EII and LSE, a dual couple, who just couldn't get over their differences? :D
(Ok, i'm not a professional at socionics, have explored the theory and forums for quite a while, but am not sure I'm getting everything righ...and sometimes i doubt if this theory even works in real life, so...)

Amelie an IEI...? Maybe, maybe...
Well, I am pretty much a novice at Socionics; so I first posted MBTI types and translated them. I saw a video on YouTube that said that Amelie was an INFJ, which kind of makes sense since she is very concerned with helping other people.

I thought that Gil was an INFP because he seemed to be in his own world and very scattered. Contrast that with Amelie who is extremely focused. I knew that Inez was some kind of STJ but she seemed more extroverted than introverted so I went with ESTJ.

I am still unsure of my type because I am ILI but my MBTI type is INTP and different sources tell you different things. Some say, that you should reverse that last letter of any I type and others say it's not the same thing.

:confused:

So, I have no idea what anyone's Socionic type is; which is why I typed them according to the MBTI and then attempted to apply it to Socionics.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I understand! :) Well, I don't know practically anything about MBTI, just that the idea and types are somewhat similar (but easier) than socionics...and in MBTI - is there any theory on relationships between types?

Anyway, thanks for the opinion... :) Maybe i'll read some more info on MBTI/how it transfers to socionics.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you think of "Ensemble, c'est tout" characters..? Camille, Filliber and Franc and Polette? (haven't typed them myself, just watched the movie recently and thought of this topic just now)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which quadra's members do you think would understand and find brittish humor the best? Like in the movie "Keeping Mum" or "Four Weddings and a Funeral", or "Miss Marple", "Hercule Poirot", "Midsomer murders"? (I know the last three I just listed are detective/crime-series, but I find some witty and interesting jokes in them :) )

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I personally enjoy the dry humor of Midsomer Murders and it strikes me as rather gamma-ish? Can't comment on the rest because I haven't seen them. Barnaby always struck me as some kind of Fi-Te type anyway. Fe-devaluing is rather obvious in my opinion. He doesn't enjoy social occasions for the sake of connection that Fe types do. Not sure about perception. Of course, one could also argue that most detective stories in themselves are driven by Ni-Se logic in that it's about studying the environment (Se) and drawing predictions about who the murderer is. Not because I am saying Ne-Si types cannot or do not prefer to think in this way, but I think the way detective stories are written favors an Ni-Se point of view. It's about reading between the lines and predict what will happen based on what already happened, so to speak.

As for British humor, I don't think there one way to understand British humor. My dad personally enjoys Monty Python, Mr. Bean and Black Adder and he's likely an LII.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I think I agree to your opinion. Had read something similar about Sherlock Holmes somewhere - that he's a Ti-Se type (so...beta?) because he builds these fact-structures in his head, has strong logical thinking, and acknowledges every little detail around him. Though I also have read that the Holmes in the russian series is a LSE. Don't know, really. Haven't seen the entire russian series. :)

I was watching Midsomer Murders yesterday, that's why I started thinking about this whole subject. You say Barnaby could be Fi-Te valuing type? I agree. I think also - an introvert. ILI or SLI?

And about the British humor - yes, when I wrote that question, I thought that it isn't as narrow a concept as my question would suggest it is. I have seen something of Monty Python, I think it's Really weird, but kind of funny - in a "WHAT am I seeing now?!" way. I'm an IEE, if that changes anything. :D I find Mr. Bean really funny, but haven't seen Black Adder, so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Yes, I think I agree to your opinion. Had read something similar about Sherlock Holmes somewhere - that he's a Ti-Se type (so...beta?) because he builds these fact-structures in his head, has strong logical thinking, and acknowledges every little detail around him. Though I also have read that the Holmes in the russian series is a LSE. Don't know, really. Haven't seen the entire russian series. :)
I think I am inclined to agree that Holmes at least when traditionally represented probably fits LSI. On the one hand I always saw his need for details very excessive and redundant but on the other hand I admired how he drew logical conclusions between events.

I think the Hollywood remake would make him more of an LIE as there seems to be less focus on details as much as there seems to be a focus on facts. Se facts are facts too, of course, but very streamlined to fit Downey Jr's character better.
I was watching Midsomer Murders yesterday, that's why I started thinking about this whole subject. You say Barnaby could be Fi-Te valuing type? I agree. I think also - an introvert. ILI or SLI?
Not sure, I would need to rewatch. Though I was more inclined to think of him as an extrovert.
And about the British humor - yes, when I wrote that question, I thought that it isn't as narrow a concept as my question would suggest it is. I have seen something of Monty Python, I think it's Really weird, but kind of funny - in a "WHAT am I seeing now?!" way. I'm an IEE, if that changes anything. :D I find Mr. Bean really funny, but haven't seen Black Adder, so can't comment on that.
I think there is something to British humor that might speak more to Si-Ne types, which makes sense if one would type the British culture as Si-ish. I don't mind British humor but often it feels like it's random for the sake of random but I see no deeper point to it, like there is no red thread holding it all together. Not sure if you've seen it, but I think a tv-series like Dexter is more likely to speak to the Ni-Se type because it has a lot of Ni witticisms in it where there is one meaning at face value and another meaning underneath the surface or how to put it. The violence in the series could perhaps also suggest a stronger correlation to Se in that Jung described Se as often being of a more violent nature.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I am inclined to agree that Holmes at least when traditionally represented probably fits LSI. On the one hand I always saw his need for details very excessive and redundant but on the other hand I admired how he drew logical conclusions between events.

I think the Hollywood remake would make him more of an LIE as there seems to be less focus on details as much as there seems to be a focus on facts. Se facts are facts too, of course, but very streamlined to fit Downey Jr's character better.

Watching Sh. Holmes - the american version and the BBC version - or reading the original one, I have always admired how he could notice all the details and, gathering/analyzing those in his mind, conclude unbelievable but true things about people he knew... Haha, I have even sometimes tried to observe something like that myself, but my mind just isn't working that way. ...because of Ne as the 1st function and Se as the 3rd, perhaps? :D Ok, I still believe that anyone could do anything they really want, the question is - how much work and focus they'd need to put in doing so to succeed. That might be the point in studying socionics, really - to know my own strong sides and weaknesses and to know how to use them!

Not sure, I would need to rewatch. Though I was more inclined to think of him as an extrovert.
Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. Haven't typed him, really, this was just a quick idea based on intuition. :) I have heard that logical extroverts can seem introverted because they behave more calmly and express less emotion. Maybe that's it!

I think there is something to British humor that might speak more to Si-Ne types, which makes sense if one would type the British culture as Si-ish. I don't mind British humor but often it feels like it's random for the sake of random but I see no deeper point to it, like there is no red thread holding it all together. Not sure if you've seen it, but I think a tv-series like Dexter is more likely to speak to the Ni-Se type because it has a lot of Ni witticisms in it where there is one meaning at face value and another meaning underneath the surface or how to put it. The violence in the series could perhaps also suggest a stronger correlation to Se in that Jung described Se as often being of a more violent nature.
Maaaybe. I haven't seen "Dexter", can't comment on that, but from what you're saying...yes, it sounds more like a Ni-Se kind of series. If what you wrote really is so, then it could explain why I have always disliked movies with lots of violence, blood, etc. in them... Don't know about the multi-layered idea/meaning thing...that is interesting to watch.

What do you think then could be Ne/Fi-type movies??

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Watching Sh. Holmes - the american version and the BBC version - or reading the original one, I have always admired how he could notice all the details and, gathering/analyzing those in his mind, conclude unbelievable but true things about people he knew... Haha, I have even sometimes tried to observe something like that myself, but my mind just isn't working that way. ...because of Ne as the 1st function and Se as the 3rd, perhaps? :D Ok, I still believe that anyone could do anything they really want, the question is - how much work and focus they'd need to put in doing so to succeed. That might be the point in studying socionics, really - to know my own strong sides and weaknesses and to know how to use them!
Why try to be something you're not?
Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. Haven't typed him, really, this was just a quick idea based on intuition. :) I have heard that logical extroverts can seem introverted because they behave more calmly and express less emotion. Maybe that's it!
I am not sure that's the criterion people should go by when trying to figure out if someone is an introvert or an extrovert. Anyone can seem introverted or extroverted.

Maaaybe. I haven't seen "Dexter", can't comment on that, but from what you're saying...yes, it sounds more like a Ni-Se kind of series. If what you wrote really is so, then it could explain why I have always disliked movies with lots of violence, blood, etc. in them... Don't know about the multi-layered idea/meaning thing...that is interesting to watch.
I don't think disliking violence and blood per se must have anything to do with a dislike towards Se. The question is why you dislike it.

As for multilayered meaning, I would say a fair bit of what Ni cognition is about deals with this dimension. Ni doesn't just see an object for what it is because that's how Se operates. Ni takes the object and sees meaning beyond the immediate sense-data that is personal. A vase for an Ni type can thus also hold the meaning of being a container because it provides intuitive purpose beyond what is immediately experienced.

What do you think then could be Ne/Fi-type movies??
No idea. I don't think I am naturally inclined to seek out such material to begin with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why try to be something you're not?
I didn't try to be something I'm not. It just seemed interesting to try to see the world from a different point of view/ in a different way. :) I guess because I'm normally interested in people and their characters and relationships, and thought it'd be interesting if I could notice some details that tell me something about a person that seems interesting. :) But I guess that's a bit creepy and gets in the way of normal comunication a bit...so I don't normally try to do that :)

I am not sure that's the criterion people should go by when trying to figure out if someone is an introvert or an extrovert. Anyone can seem introverted or extroverted.
Ok, I have heard some socionics say that you can't ever tell if someone is introverted or extraverted...so... :D

I don't think disliking violence and blood per se must have anything to do with a dislike towards Se. The question is why you dislike it.
I just dislike to see unpleasant sights - in movies and...basically, anywhere. I think it's normal. And, even if I know that in movies everything is an act, I still don't like to look at violent and bloody sights.

As for multilayered meaning, I would say a fair bit of what Ni cognition is about deals with this dimension. Ni doesn't just see an object for what it is because that's how Se operates. Ni takes the object and sees meaning beyond the immediate sense-data that is personal. A vase for an Ni type can thus also hold the meaning of being a container because it provides intuitive purpose beyond what is immediately experienced.
Hmm...very interesting idea and explanation...thanks, I think I just understood something better.

No idea. I don't think I am naturally inclined to seek out such material to begin with.
Ok, I understand :D "such material" as in Ne-Fi movies or any movies thinking about socionics functions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday watched "The Sound of Music"...again. Love it. Such a great movie. :)

Was thinking about the types of the main characters. Couldn't find any discussions on this movie, so writing my thoughts here.

Maria seems very extraverted and ethical (Fe valuing?), don't know if intuitive or sensing though...from the song that the nuns sung about her she seems like some kind of intuite, though I'm not sure...
Captain von Trapp seems logical and sensing. LSE..?
Baronesse - sensing/ ethical... ESI?
Max - intuitive/logical, Se valuing?

Haven't analysed any of them seriously, these are just quick ideas :)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'm inclined to think that Amelie is a SEI. I think she values Fe and she's introverted but the decision was for SEI instead of IEI because I think she's alpha. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most characters played by Jim Carrey (most evident example - Bruce almighty)
You think so? :D I haven't thought about what type Carrey could be, but anyway - I find him to be one of the funniest actors I've seen so far. :)

P.S. Thanks for your signature, it's an interesting idea. Looking from that perspective, a young art student who has sort of a conflict with 'modern art' and who thinks that something else is better in their opinion (but if they're not sure that other art students/teachers would agree), can feel a bit better. Haha, I hope this made sense. Anyway - good quote!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Jim Carrey is an ILE and so are most of his characters in his comedies.
Wouldn't agree, but everyone can type as they like :proud:

You think so? :D I 165275_174845212547359_5252255_n.jpg thought about what type Carrey could be, but anyway - I find him to be one of the funniest actors I've seen so far. :)

P.S. Thanks for your signature, it's an interesting idea. Looking from that perspective, a young art student who has sort of a conflict with 'modern art' and who thinks that something else is better in their opinion (but if they're not sure that other art students/teachers would agree), can feel a bit better. Haha, I hope this made sense. Anyway - good quote!
Indeed :proud: I used to have an IEE friend who actually looks somewhat similar to Jim Carrey:

(pic in spoiler tags)

I'm glad you liked the signature :laughing: , I guess that's one way to interpret this. One thing I had in mind about that quote is that someone who wants to become an artist has to have that X-factor where the person seeks out for interesting ways to interpret a topic, to express or capture it. Somebody who sees tree as a tree would make a really boring artist!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts