Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The young guy playing Jimi looks almost exactly like him. One snag though; they can't use Jimi's music in the film. Legal snags. That sucks. Maybe they can work something out. Anyway, it's supposed to be a story of his life. Growing up as a kid & becoming an iconic musician in his short life. I have to see this. Might be a year or two before the lawyers are done though.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
I thought yeah, fantastic but thats daft! Get rid of those lawyers. Id really like to see it when it comes out though.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
As interesting a person as Jimi was--and I think he was one of the most compelling and interesting people of the time--I am having a lot of trouble wrapping my brain around the idea of a movie about the life of arguably the most influential musicians of any time without including any of his music. My understanding has been that his family controls all licensing of his music aggressively. I put a video of my friends skiing on youtube.

And it was rejected immediately and automatically through software that recognized that it had one of Jimi's songs as the soundtrack. I had to repost it with disclaimers all over it to get it to stick. And it still is not available in Germany for some reason. I don't know any of Jimi's family members, and while I would not begrudge them the ability to benefit from his legacy, it seems to me their jealous protection of his intellectual property actually does more to prevent them from benefiting than if they were more open to the sharing of his music.

I would still pay to see the film as I am a huge fan of Jimi.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update for fellow Hendrix fans: No sign of the movie, I can't even Google it so I guess the lawyers won. BUT, there is a new Jimi Hendrix cd due out March 5, 2013. 12 recorded tracks from '68 & '69 that were never released. I hope the sound quality is ok. It's a different sound they said. He was experimenting with new sounds & styles. They said he plays keyboards & drums on it too. Anyhoo, something to look forward to.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
No. Please don't let Hollywood make a Hendrix biopic. Sure, some biopics are half decent, but most of them are rubbish. There's a Jeff Buckley one coming out soon and it does not look promising.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
I think Andre 3000 would do an alright job of it but then again, i've never seen such a kind of film that I often liked. Some are alright but even then I prefer more of a doco on someones life where they have recordings and pictures and interviews, the real stuff is better than pretending the movie is someones life because with such a figure who's death kind of launched him into the unattainable legend of skill, it's got some pretty big shoes to fill since he was a larger than life kind of guy.
I would wonder if he'd be able to mimic the facial expressions and motions he did on stage, or the soft spoken and sometimes slightly insecure voice Mr Hendrix had.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, I think it would be hard to really capture Hendix's vibe. In private he was deep & philosophical, other times spontaneous & silly. At least from everything I've read about him or seen on film. Hollywood might be tempted to commercialize him or remake his image into some shallow showboat caricature to "broaden" his appeal across generations but I'd see that as an artistic failure, no matter how many tickets they'd sell. I probably learned more about him watching "Rainbow Bridge" than anything I've read. Half movie, half documentary. He was very sincere & expressive, an introvert who could turn himself inside out & finding an actor & director willing & able to capture that spirit on film would be almost a miracle. I'd love to see someone try but I'd be nervous watching it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The formula for failure that most filmmakers have continued to follow is the attempt to re-tell one's life, with certain highlights every now and then. With that said, there are biopics that follow this simple structure that are successful. But when every biopic follows this formula, the genre starts to get stale. I personally believe, should one have to make a biopic, that it could be more of a celebration of the person and the art. Much like Nicolas Winding Refn's "Bronson" which was very loosely based on the English prisoner, Charles Bronson.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the new Hendrix CD just released last week. Interesting to hear songs from 1968-70 for the first time. Some are redone familiar songs, others are "new" & a few you can tell he was moving in another direction with a bit of a jazz sound in his last year. I recognize the familiar sound of that Fender Stratocaster though, always sounded like he was having fun on it. So spontaneous. I don't think he ever played a song the same way every time.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
True, I think it would be hard to really capture Hendix's vibe. In private he was deep & philosophical, other times spontaneous & silly. At least from everything I've read about him or seen on film. Hollywood might be tempted to commercialize him or remake his image into some shallow showboat caricature to "broaden" his appeal across generations but I'd see that as an artistic failure, no matter how many tickets they'd sell. I probably learned more about him watching "Rainbow Bridge" than anything I've read. Half movie, half documentary. He was very sincere & expressive, an introvert who could turn himself inside out & finding an actor & director willing & able to capture that spirit on film would be almost a miracle. I'd love to see someone try but I'd be nervous watching it.
The only real problem with that movie, is that much of the music you are hearing isn't from the actual concert itself! I have/had the Rainbow Bridge album on vinyl/LP, you cannot get it on a CD, but I sort of put together my own! Anyway if you take a look at the discography you'll see where all the songs came from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(album)

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Update for fellow Hendrix fans: No sign of the movie, I can't even Google it so I guess the lawyers won. BUT, there is a new Jimi Hendrix cd due out March 5, 2013. 12 recorded tracks from '68 & '69 that were never released. I hope the sound quality is ok. It's a different sound they said. He was experimenting with new sounds & styles. They said he plays keyboards & drums on it too. Anyhoo, something to look forward to.
I went and bought People, Hell and Angels too, it was OK, not good or bad, just OK. I added it to the thirty plus other Hendrix Cds I already own, half of which I never listen to. It seems that the Hendrix family cannot let him rest in peace, still trying to capitalize on his long gone presence.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
The young guy playing Jimi looks almost exactly like him. One snag though; they can't use Jimi's music in the film. Legal snags. That sucks. Maybe they can work something out. Anyway, it's supposed to be a story of his life. Growing up as a kid & becoming an iconic musician in his short life. I have to see this. Might be a year or two before the lawyers are done though.
Did you ever see the Bio-docu-drama movie Hendrix (2000) starring Wood Harris?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I haven't seen that. I'm curious, I may get the movie.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Reactions: Aqualung

·
Spam-I-am
13,761 Posts
it already did in limited release only
it is called ''jimi Hendrix by my side'' IMDB it
I wanted to see it but it was not showing in my area [Rochester n.y]

edit- valleys of Neptune which was the follow up to electric ladyland and posthumous released in 12 BEST HENDRIX EVER

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it already did in limited release only
it is called ''jimi Hendrix by my side'' IMDB it
I wanted to see it but it was not showing in my area [Rochester n.y]

edit- valleys of Neptune which was the follow up to electric ladyland and posthumous released in 12 BEST HENDRIX EVER
I hadn't heard of Valleys of Neptune, it flew under my radar somehow but I just ordered it. I saw that the Hendrix movie was playing last weekend in a huge city nearby but I was too busy to deal with traffic & had to pass. If it doesn't come to my home town I hope it's on DVD soon.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Spam-I-am
13,761 Posts
I hadn't heard of Valleys of Neptune, it flew under my radar somehow but I just ordered it. I saw that the Hendrix movie was playing last weekend in a huge city nearby but I was too busy to deal with traffic & had to pass. If it doesn't come to my home town I hope it's on DVD soon.
sunshine of your love & red house are fantastic, the best versions
jimi really shines on valley's of neptune

1 - 20 of 20 Posts