Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I lost motivation for Motivation Mondays so we're switching it up :p

Tell us about a movie you saw recently. What were your thoughts and feelings on it? Be as brief or as detailed as you wish. Maybe this will give people some recommendations :)

I don't give away spoilers but I'll put mine under a spoiler alert anyway:

The One I Love

This was an interesting movie. Not really what I was expecting. I liked the dialogue and it had that mysterious/magical element to it. I just found the ending to be upsetting so be warned.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Haha. And HAHAAH that gif.

I remember seeing erm.. what was it again.. Divergents.. or something.

My thoughts: scare story of globalization gone crazy, for a younger audience that hasn't seen Equilibrium or Gattaca. This time it's classism by occupation.

- Oh you kids.. back in the day everyone had to work whatever they could find!
- But.. you mean like scribes fought wars and stuff?!
- Your grandma had a nuclear physicist friend who ended up bagging groceries.
- Did not! What's a nuclear pianist?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I watch my dance dvds over and over and over so I bought Black Swan when I saw it was on sale (Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder); it was pretty good, a bit of a psych thriller with lots of sexy thin bodies and some pretty costumes and pointe shoes, pretty authentic.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
@Antipode I’m fascinated with tornados but am super thankful I don’t live in a place that regularly gets them. So destructive!

·
Registered
809 Posts
The other day, my sister and I found this cute anime movie on hulu called Patema Inverted. In the movie there's this civilization that lives under the ground and their gravity is reversed, so they're being pulled up to the sky. The regular people above the ground are really controlling and they are trying to find the underground people. I don't want to give anything else away..

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I watched the Avengers: Age of Ultron today at the theater. I enjoyed it and found it superior to the first. Excellent action, snappy dialogue and some touching moments. I do not watch a great deal of action films, but have a weakness for certain sci-fi, fantasy and comic book based fare.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I watched Jet Li's Fearless with a friend yesterday. Bloody, but I suppose that's to be expected from a martial arts movie. I didn't really get into it until it was found out WHY one of the main character's students had gotten beat up by some other grandmaster of the arts. Just...oh. Oh, oh, oh. Ow. Dang. Talk about a kick in the teeth. You just got done thrashing the guy over it and now the egg's on your face like whoa. Plus, well, all the other bad things that happened to main character because of it. Other details would require spoilers.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Today I watched American Hustle. It was fair to midland, but I rather enjoyed it because the acting was excellent and I'm a big fan of Christian Bale. One thing that was a distraction in a way was that I can't get over how much Jennifer Lawrence looks and acts like my niece (same facial expressions).

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I did not watch anything today, but saw Rebel Without a Cause for the first time a few days ago on the plane from Kathmandu to the U.S. It was nothing like I had imagined, and I was completely blown away by James Dean, the vulnerability, compassion, and quiet wisdom he gave the character, as well as the nuance of his performance. This is my first James Dean film, actually. I never got the hullabaloo before. I understand now. He was amazing. I think it is in my top ten now.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Saw the new Mad Max film, Fury Road. It was phenomenal. I have been a fan of the franchise since I saw the Road Warrior when I was a kid. This is easily one of the best action films I have ever seen. Theron is amazing, and Hardy makes a compelling Max. It is violent and full on action from start to finish, but also has some truly touching moments, and nice subtle touches. A near perfect film, though the (sparse) dialog wavers a bit in certain scenes (barely noticeable). I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I watched a movie on Netflix called "Copenhagen" last night and I thought it was pretty good. It focuses on a guy who sleeps around and is sort of a dick. He's heading to Copenhagen to find his long-lost grandfather, and on the way, he meets a 14-year old girl. He sort of matures mentally and falls for her, and she falls for him, but he does his best to deflect her sexual interest in him because he knows they have a significant age gap (28/14). It's funny because the age of consent in Denmark is 15, so she repeatedly says "I'll be 15 in a few days", but to an American like him, she's three years too young. Great soundtrack, great scenery, and great acting.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
I re-watched "Lady in the water" last night with my SO. It's an INFJ movie that I think people know too well by now. Still pretty cool.

After the movie I had this question. Why did they need to see the creature using the mirror? Is this some kind of symbolism? I find it odd. Unlike vampires, which had no reflection in the mirror, the evil had one, but no visibility when looking straight at it.

I know the damn "dog" symbolizes the evil in the world and the narf represents the origins and kindness of man, but what is the purpose of needing a mirror? Is it some metaphor for humans not being able to see their own evil without help? Is it this mirror supposed to represent the way we reflect in the views of others that can see the evil in us, but we are oblivious to it when we look at us directly? Is the evil only visible when looking indirectly at us, at the ones we hurt? Is the mirror a psychological tool that much like in real life makes us reflect and see the faults in us (not just physical)?

Am I actually seeing too much in this mirror thing and it was just a simple way to complicate the plot?

Anybody have other ideas or thoughts on this?

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Last film I saw was Crimson Tide a few days ago on TV. Been a while since I last saw it, but it's still a very gripping film concerning a clash of different leadership styles during an international crisis involving nuclear weapons.

One powerful scene where things heat up.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
In Your Eyes

Two seemingly unconnected souls from different corners of the United States make a telepathic bond that allows them to see, hear and feel the others experiences, creating a bond that apparently can't be broken.

If you've ever done the long distance dating deal then you may be able to appreciate it some aspects of it. There's just some indescribable sort of connection there.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll try to bring Movie Monday back next week since y'all seem to enjoy it the most :)

mystikro - Lady in the Water is one of my favorite movies. You're making me want to give it another watch because I don't remember the mirror part. I wish I could respond more in depth to what you said.

Lad - I actually already had that on my list. Will have to give it a watch soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts