Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't like The Star Wars. My husband likes almost all movies, but I can't watch them with him, because I just fall asleep :)

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,459 Posts
Honestly, that's actually hard to answer because I can understand the popularity for practically any beloved movie. If I can't enjoy something most other people love, I feel a little weird, like I'm missing something.
I was like that with Avengers. I didn't really enjoy it anywhere near as much as others did and at the time I was wondering why that was. Could not put my finger on it. But I didn't hate it by any means, I know the characters are popular, and the action scenes and dialogue were quite fun. So how come I don't feel the same hype? That's a shame...

I guess you could take much of the highest grossing movies and they wouldn't really do much for me. A lot of them are just spectacle (or a pointless sequel / remake). They appeal to the basest of human desires. I get it, but I want a little more than big budget explosions and computer work, or the feeling this product was solely made to make someone a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
I haven't liked any movie I ever saw with Robin Williams in it. Ever. I don't get the whole cult around him.

Same for all the snl people, from both generations. Except for Bill Murray: sometimes.

·
Registered
INTJ 583 sx/sp
456 Posts
Shawshank Redemption
Into The Wild
Breakfast At Tiffanys
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Princess Bride does suck! Yes!

My husband loves the following and I can't stand them ---->> Roadhouse, Back To The Future, Coming To America, Forrest Gump.

Amelie.

The Butterfly Effect

and finally that movie with Jim Carrey something about "Spotless Mind"? Ah yes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Even the title SUCKS.
You're an absolute monster.

·
Registered
INTP
4,801 Posts
The Prestige: Two guys who look the same; each has a disguise and/or a double. Two women with long blond hair. A redhead who looks like one of the blondes (I thought she was a pre-showbiz flashback of the blonde). So confusing!

Star Wars: The bar scene was neat though.

It's Complicated: Adultery. Ugh.

Lord of the Rings: Walked out after 45 minutes. Bo-Ring.

On the Waterfront: 15 minutes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
500 days of summer
The notebook - don't hate it I just have seen movies I think is greater and it is being hyped to be something
Inception

Reactions: bubblePOP

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I absolutely hate JJ Abrams intertrepation of Star Trek:
There is never anything in "Captain Kirk's" behavior that I believe ever really redeems him of his willful defiance and sometimes blatantly dangerous tendencies.
Compare with Captain Kirk's behavior in Wrath of Khan. Yes, he does have a certain level of defiance in the fact that he doesn't believe in a no win situation, but it's presented as a world view that he has that's a bit idealistic if anything. He generally shows respect for the chain of command, and only defies orders when it's necessary to save the life of his friend.
Also, the movie doesn't spend all it's time running around chasing the next suspensful event, but slows down at times,and allows the characters to discuss how things are developing, allows the viewer to catch up with what's happening in the plot and get to know the characters better.
Zachary Sylar Quinto's portrayal of Spock comes across as cold, almost to the point of being almost sociopathic.
Again, comparing with Wrath of Khan, or even subsequent movies like Search for Spock and the Voyage home, you see a lot more nuance in Leonard Nimoy's portrayal. He helped create the character as a sort of collaboration between actor and writer, and Spock was a character that you could tell was layered. Even though he exuded a cold exterior, you could always sense an inner warmth beneath this, and occasionally, he would impulsively show the rich emotion that existed beneath the veneer of Vulcan stoicism. But, with Quinto's portrayal, sometimes you wonder if Spock ever feels anything
The third of the trio SHOULD be Bones. Bones' emotional nature, and the conflict that it engenders between himself and Spock create a balance which help balance out Captain Kirk as a result.
But, instead it's Mary Sue Uhura, who pokes her nose into everyone's business, and does everything right and never needs to be rescued, and has a couple's spat with Spock on a mission. And yet, old school Uhura still had so much more screen resonance. She was a woman who respected the chain of command, but always mustered the courage to speak up when she felt something needed to be said. She always felt real. I could see myself working with Uhura, because she felt like an authentic person.

The first movie had good bits: I liked the beginning sequence when Captain Kirk's dad sacrifices himself to save his crew, and I liked the part at the end where you thought Kirk was down and it turned out he had the bad guy's gun.

But the Into Darkness Film...nothing about this film made any kind of logical sense. You didn't even have the emotional resonance of having someone die without them finding a miraculous way to live in the next scene.
When Spock died in the wrath of Khan, that was such a resonant scene, and there was No one shouting "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" to make that scene powerful. The actors behaved in a way that was authentic and believable.
It gave the end of Wrath of Khan and so much of The Search for Spock such a mystical feel to it. It was cathartic to see Bones holding Spock's consciousness in his mind until they could reunite mind with body on Vulcan after finding a regenerating Spock on a world that's come to life by means of the Genesis device that was established in Wrath of Khan. Also, this was the film in which Kirk's son, that he only just recently met was killed by Klingons. There's so much going on in this film on an emotional level. Then it ends with this Vulcan ceremony. The whole film feels resonant and has a mystical feel to it. Then comes the Voyage Home which does add humor to the story, but still follows a very well established continuity that threads all the ToR films together (except Star Trek the Motion picture. Like many Star Trek fans, I just go on pretending that one doesn't exist). Also The Voyage Home, at the end garners consequences. Captain Kirk does defy orders and destroy Federation property, but his reasons were to save Spock, reasons that could be argued to be heroic, not to show off his bravado or to be reckless for the sake of being reckless.

Anyway, what was the third film Into Darkness? Um I only have vague memories some Macguffin and strong capable women who don't need no man and can save themselves. I seriously believe that film had no plot whatsoever.

Destroyed Star Trek, then went on to destroy Star Wars.
JJ Abrams is the real star destroyer.

·
Registered
15,513 Posts
Avatar- great effects but besides that I don’t understand the hype

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Away We Go
Titanic
You've Got Mail
Gravity
21 Jump Street
Doctor Strange
Saturday Night Fever
Captain Phillips

Hacksaw Ridge is a comedy, I honestly hate this film with a passion. Mel Gibson is a terrible director, actor and writer.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts