Personality Cafe banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

Registered
It was awful. Movies are never as good as the books (NO MOVIE HAS EVER BEEN SUCCESSFUL AT BEING AS GOOD AS OR EVEN EQUAL TO THE BOOK AND I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL), but that movie in particular...馃憖:eek:馃樀
Of course you don't have to agree with me one bit, but thought I'd share the only two movies that I think were successful in translating the source book, more or less.

Fight Club - Even the author, Chuck Pahluniuk said it intimidated him how it was actually better (paraphrasing). I'm not sure about it being better, but Fincher turned it into an amazing movie.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - (Hunter S. Thompson) Pretty spot on on translation from the book, with some parts omitted from the movie. And a fun original feeling movie.

Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
Nearly fell asleep watching Pacific Rim in theaters. Ugh.

Quentin Tarantino isn't worth the hype. There are some scenes from his movies that are good, sure, like the dancing scene in Pulp Fiction, and certain scenes in Kill Bill are impeccable, but good god. All together they're just...so boring.

Registered
Of course you don't have to agree with me one bit, but thought I'd share the only two movies that I think were successful in translating the source book, more or less.

Fight Club - Even the author, Chuck Pahluniuk said it intimidated him how it was actually better (paraphrasing). I'm not sure about it being better, but Fincher turned it into an amazing movie.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - (Hunter S. Thompson) Pretty spot on on translation from the book, with some parts omitted from the movie. And a fun original feeling movie.

I haven't read either of those books, thank you for sharing! I'd be happy if you proved my comment wrong, I will give them a read :) Actually that's probably a lie, I probably won't because I have a problem reading/watching books/movies if I already know the ending. BUT as of this moment, I have every intention of reading them. 馃槉

Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
Any comedy movie with Will Ferrell and Seth Rogen as the main characters.
I want gouge my eyes out after five minutes.

I agree with @Enistery, Quentin Tarantino movies drag on for way too long. I don't get the hype behind him either.
Individual scenes are really well done (this is Tarantino's strength), but if he manages to throw those good scenes together without pointlessly dragging out the plot, I think that would do his movies a lot of good.

That's why I really liked Reservoir Dogs, because it had cool scenes, but didn't last any longer than it had to. It was only an hour and a half total.
But watching Django Unchained was like watching paint dry, it was almost 3 hours long, and it was for almost no reason.
Some scenes were really good, but he could've done without the excessive dialogue. It's length is the thing keeping me from watching it again.

Reactions: Enistery

Registered
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off". I like John Hughes' movies, but this one has always been kind of meh to me. I should probably re-watch it, maybe I'd be able to appreciate it more now.

Most movies with Ben Stiller. Except for "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", I actually really liked that one (probably due to the music and the scenes in Iceland, but he wasn't as cringey in it as usual).

Any comedy movie with Will Ferrell and Seth Rogen as the main characters.
I want gouge my eyes out after five minutes.
Have you seen "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell? That's one of his best roles, imo.

Seth Rogen was good in "Freaks and Geeks".

Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
Have you seen "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell? That's one of his best roles, imo.

Seth Rogen was good in "Freaks and Geeks".
Will Ferrell is good mainly when he isn't acting like a literal man-child in every movie I see him in.
Step Brothers was good though, but mainly because almost everyone else in the movie found him incredibly annoying.

Stranger than Fiction does look pretty good though, I might have to give it a try.

Seth Rogan just mainly plays the stereotypical pot-head.
The only Seth Rogan movie I liked was Superbad, and that was because it was also a good "coming-of-age" story.
This is the End was also pretty funny, but because it made fun of Hollywood celebrities.

I never seen Freaks and Geeks, I think it was before my time lol

Registered
Bradley Cooper and his movies, except for being the voice of Rocket which could be done by other voice actors. This man bores me to tears and IMO, isn't that attractive.

Registered
A star is born
Because that piece of shit music producer or whatever he is, says to Jackson that it would be better if he weren't around which send him over the edge. Makes me so furrious.

Registered
The Lord of the Rings series.
LOVED the books, read them annually for years on Christmas vacation, like visiting an old friend. HATED OMG HATE the hobbits, especially Frodo and Sam, as portrayed in the movies. I can't even express how painful it is to watch those two. Bilbo, Merry and Pippin not much better. The rest was pretty well done but I can't watch. I watch a bit here https://torrentsites.com/ and there on cable but can only stomach about 10 minutes at a time.

Registered
Introvert, iNtuitive, Thinker, Feeler, and Judger
What I hated when I was growing up and still hate are a lot of the movies that were meant for kids that most kids liked because I didn't want to waste my time on movies that weren't funny to me nor required me to think much because I was one of those kids that wanted grow up quickly. I never liked the popular movies that glorified abusive relationships because I don't get a thrill from drama. And I never liked movies that glorified violence. Because I don't get a thrill from violence.

Registered
Horror movies or movies that just leave you with an icky feeling. I can turn on the news for those type movies. If I invest two hours or more in a movie- it needs to be worth the time invested. I prefer happy movies or ones that are inspirational.

Registered
IXFP 4w5 5w4 8w7 sp/sx
Notebook... Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams are great at acting and i'm not really having problem with romance movies but it just didn't click with me.

Code Cracked
Notebook... Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams are great at acting and i'm not really having problem with romance movies but it just didn't click with me.
Yes, it was not very happy or funny. I like more rom com type stuff like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Then again I laughed hard at Mr. & Mrs. Smith- I was one of the very few if only in the theater that found it hilarious a lot of the time.

Registered
2001:Space Odyssey I recall being close to an hour into the movie thinking "this looks nice, but when does the movie start?" I ended up just skipping to the end with the iconic "Open the pod bay doors scene," because the rest of it, was just...so.... BORING!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
ENFJ
Bridesmaids -- The terrible acting is masked by even worse jokes. I honestly don't get why people like this movie.
The Hangover -- The acting is actually good, but the jokes are terrible. Only one scene I liked is Bradley Cooper with Mike Tyson's tiger.
Napoleon Dynamite -- Acting is terrible, and the movie is not funny.
Mary Poppins Returns -- So many people raved about this movie, but I just couldn't get into it. Sequels are hardly good, and this one was no exception.
Captain America: The First Avenger -- BOOOOOOOORING. I like Winter Soldier and Civil War, but the first CA movie is just boring.
Thor -- Same as CA. Boring. The Dark World and Ragnarok are way better.

The Notebook and a lot of the movies suggested in this thread already.

Just thought of another. Mandy Moore is in it. She is dying of cancer. Takes place in September? Stupid movie, forgot the title.
A Walk To Remember -- which I actually enjoy so it's sad you don't like it. :(

Reactions: Sily
81 - 99 of 99 Posts