Discussion Starter #1
Come on. You KNOW there are some.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Every single one of them? The biggest one I can think of was Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. The book is over 1000 pages and I thought it was a good story and fun read. The movie was so horrid you would be hard pressed to find someone that recommends it or owns the DVD.

Any Steven King book made into a movie. The Running Man comes to mind. The book has the running man as a prisoner let loose on society with a license to kill. They give him 10 minutes then a picture comes up on everyone TV with a live show like Americas Most Wanted. If I remember, you get prizes for seeing him and, if you kill him, you get a lottery jackpot that rises every minute he is alive and running. After so many hours he gains his freedom. The movie can only be described as based on The Running Man.

Clive Barker books also do not translate well to film. This is probably a lucky thing for the average movie fan :crazy:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm still pissed they moved High Fidelity to New York.

·
Registered
472 Posts
La Mustache. That fucking movie.
The Pebble and the Penguin
Eragon
Every Harry Potter movie past Chamber of Secrets
Most adaptations and remakes in general

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm ashamed to say this, but I actually love that movie. xD I think the only reason is because I saw it before I read--or even heard of--the book...
*cough and Liam Neeson is in it coughcoughcough*
Oh, trust me, I definitely wouldn't loathe it so much if I wasn't so obsessed with the book xD
Liam Neeson is rather awesome.

·
Banned
644 Posts
I scoffed at Avatar's adaptation of Pocahantas, Dances With the Wolves, and probably countless other films. Yes, people find it visually amazing, but to me unique and well-executed plot elements give more weight to a movie's rating.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I scoffed at Avatar's adaptation of Pocahantas, Dances With the Wolves, and probably countless other films. Yes, people find it visually amazing, but to me unique and well-executed plot elements give more weight to a movie's rating.
It's called the Monomyth -- aka The Hero's Journey -- and goes back farther than Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves -- take a look at Homer's Odyssey.

I find remakes of old, old movies to be funny especially when the original is nigh unrecognizable -- for example, the movie Barb Wire with Pamela Anderson Lee is a remake of Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart.

Sometimes the updates are better (I much preferred the remake of the Manchurian Candidate over ol' Blue Eyes from the 50's), sometimes they're just okay (Astroboy had top notch animation, but Nick Cage as Dr Tenma? WTF.) and sometimes you're left wanting to gouge your your eyes like pretty much any video game based movie like The Super Mario Bros. movie.

If you've never seen The Super Mario Bros. movie, you've never seen how bad it can be.

And sometimes, the movie gets saved after it's out, like the DareDevil Directors Cut is a great superhero movie; the theatrical cut was too short.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Clash of the Titans in 3D was pretty bad. I still like the old one better.
Fuck these wack-ass 3D movies. Are people that stupid? The technology has been around for ages, and it adds NOTHING to films. Especially ones that weren't even filmed in 3D (e.g. the said Clash of the Titans remake).

Reactions: Fiddler

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Fuck these wack-ass 3D movies. Are people that stupid? The technology has been around for ages, and it adds NOTHING to films. Especially ones that weren't even filmed in 3D (e.g. the said Clash of the Titans remake).
I suppose they just call them 3D so they can market something that people can't pirate. Or something like that.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I suppose they just call them 3D so they can market something that people can't pirate. Or something like that.
...and because it's another advertising gimmick to drag more people into theaters and watch more bad movies with the veil of 3D entertainment...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YES IT DOESSSS!111 IT MAEKS ITT COLER AND IT POPS OUT ANN WHAO!!!!1111!!!shiftkeyone

But in all seriousness, there's nothing cool about it. Nothing. -.-

Reactions: Fiddler

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I may go a bit further; part of what made the original Clash of the Titans as awesome as it was was the stop-motion animation from Ray HarryHausen. By going to computerized 3D, they basically took away what was the point of the movie! It was like when Aardman started doing Wallace and Grommit as 3D animation -- it looked nearly the same, but you could tell it was different over the clay models.

Another good reason to watch older movies is to spy things like a young and attractive Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagal from the Harry Potter movies) as Thetis in the 1981 version of Clash of the Titans.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hate most remakes.

All I can say is stop turning fucking books into movies and making them horrible Hollywood. Come up with something original for once, Geez.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Enough with remakes, ones based on historical events are OVER 9000 times worse than remakes.

Oh and weapon-centric fails in movies. BULLET PROOF VESTS ARE NOT MAGICAL ULTRA SHIELDS HOLLYWOOD! Jeasus.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts