• Neither...

Votes: 1 3.6%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, if you could only have ONE of those two entertainment sources: Movies or Video Games, which would you choose and why? I'm forcing a choice without that third option of "It depends..." Gut intuitive reaction here: one or the other if you HAD to choose!

I'm a big movie fan, so for me it's an obvious choice. I play the occasional video game to the tune of maybe 1-3 hours a week. However, I much prefer the chance to observe the social drama I see in many films vs. actually participating.Seems counterintuitive, I know, but I somehow get more personally drawn in to a movie where I'm not actually doing anything rather then playing a game where I am. Games seem like they should be more immersive, but in my personal experience they don't compare to a well-acted flick, even though I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person here to say that.

10:12PM PST April 19th-I both love, and am surprised at the split so far. I figured a blow out in favor of video games given anecdotal evidence on how people have talked about games on these boards in the past.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Video games! RPGs and MMORPGs!! :D

I miss a lot of things in movies and sometimes I have to watch them again to completely understand it.

In video games, I get really engaged in it. Especially with RPGs and MMOs, I'm a very meticulous player and have to do all the quests, beat all the monsters to get the most experience, find all the items, solve every puzzle!! If the story is AMAZINGGG, it just makes the game so much better. :) :) :D

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Movies all the way. I don't care for video games except racing games or dance games with my kids :)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Movies. I don't play video games and they require too much of a time commitment for them to be something I could ever see myself getting really involved in.

I can barely do movies (though I love them and do watch a lot of them). It often takes me three or four tries to watch a whole movie; I take a lot of breaks.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
videos games because videos have alot more replayablilty than movies, and as it is now i'm more into video games anyways

Reactions: Finaille

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Video games; they tend to be longer and I like having more control of the environment. Plus, movies are just so short, I would prefer to watch television episodes from a series. I can usually only stomach a movie if it's from a book I read; at least I know there are additional pieces... it's most a curiosity to see how the actors/actresses picked can portray characters.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Movies. I don't play video games and they require too much of a time commitment for them to be something I could ever see myself getting really involved in.
One of the cool things about video games- you can play them as long as you want to. 15 minutes, no problem. 2 hours, no problem. (Though it can take some time to actually learn how to play them.)

I can barely do movies (though I love them and do watch a lot of them). It often takes me three or four tries to watch a whole movie; I take a lot of breaks.
I'd take video games first, then just tv shows (I know that wasn't a stated option), then movies. Movies are just too long and there aren't good enough for me to dedicate that much time together for them.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
One of the cool things about video games- you can play them as long as you want to. 15 minutes, no problem. 2 hours, no problem. (Though it can take some time to actually learn how to play them.)
But I mean time as in like...days, weeks, months. I can watch a movie in a few hours and then just be done with it and move on with my life. A video game requires (or promotes) some sort of investment in time that stretches over a much greater span than a movie. It might only be fifteen minutes a day, but a video game is probably going to be something that's in my life for more than that one day, while a movie doesn't have to be. Once it's over, it's over. There are no additional levels; no one is asking to play with me; I don't need to accomplish anything more.

I don't know. Commitment freaks me out, even on such a small scale I suppose.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
But I mean time as in like...days, weeks, months. I can watch a movie in a few hours and then just be done with it and move on with my life. A video game requires (or promotes) some sort of investment in time that stretches over a much greater span than a movie. It might only be fifteen minutes a day, but a video game is probably going to be something that's in my life for more than that one day, while a movie doesn't have to be. Once it's over, it's over. There are no additional levels; no one is asking to play with me; I don't need to accomplish anything more.

I have to admit, video games have taught me valuable skills about commitment. Especially those games where you have a lot of control! You have to learn how to build your character properly, you have to learn how to rely on others, and you learn a lot about strategy and being prepared. You also have to learn that it can be very boring, but the crappy work can lead to something that's amazing later with patience. World of Warcraft has been an excellent life tool!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sure, there's always more you CAN do but no one other than you makes you do it. It's no more of a commitment than if you were to go to the mall with your friends (if people still do that-lol.)

Video games are the ultimate "On Demand" entertainment option. You can play as much as you want any time you want. If you take a break for a month, the game let's you pick up where you left off.

You must be a really strong P if you are that afraid of commitment! ;) But to each their own!

In college, all the girls associated with my roommates came over to our apartment about once every two months. They took it over and played party games for just one night. They didn't touch any video games until the next session!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Movies are awesome and all, but some videogames have a way of emotionally investing me in the characters and the world in a way that no movie has been capable of. So, videogames hands down. More hours, more replaying, and I love actually participating.

But that was probably obvious, considering my current avatar.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Video games for the same reason I play billiards: I can do it for a fun, competitive time with other people. Sure, I can do this with certain movies---go to your local indie theatre for a screening of The Room or Rocky Horror and you'll get to spend 90 minutes yelling hilarious obscenities at the screen with the rest of the audience---but when I blow someone up live at a Mortal Kombat tournament, I get to be the subject of those hilarious obscenities! ^_^

To make matters worse, unless we're talking about an insightful documentary that actually passes on new and relevant information about the world, talking with people after a movie just devolves into the world of subjective interpretation. It doesn't help that I can't bother to be opinionated about a movie unless it's particularly lackluster, or, alternatively, another piece of gold by Tarantino. I mean, it can be fun to play the devil's advocate when someone else is really opinionated about a movie's virtues/failings (which you can do with games anyway), but beating or losing to them in a competitive video game just brings so much more closure.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Movies.

They've examined some really fascinating aspects of the universe we live in, and the relationships between humans. I would not be the same person without them. Video games do offer some changes to my mind, but it's mostly reaction time and allocation of resources/time.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
The first game I became emotionally invested in was Final Fantasy 7. Spoiler Alert: When Aerith died, I actually was brought to tears.... I know it sounds weird, but these games have characters with flaws, and lives, and histories..... It's like watching a movie. The trauma that Cloud goes through and trying to be strong and then coming to grips that he was a failed experiment... Barrett loss of his home town to a money hungry corporation and his best friend.... A girl who's mother died and she is different because of the powers she possesses. It was my favorite game.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts