Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What movie genre do infps like?

My favorite genre is romance and horror for some reason. Just wanted to know what movie genre are infps usually into.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I like dystopian science fiction, especially with existential themes. I can't watch most horror movies that involve people being mean to other people, and most romance movies seem improbable and silly. Occasionally I will see one that is moving, but most seem contrived. Some action movies are interesting if they are more plot/character-based than effects-based, especially if they have fantasy elements that make them more imaginative.

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love fantasy movies also. My favorite movie of all time is LOTR. Good vs. Evil. :)

·
15,420 Posts
Almost anything sufficiently deep and complex is good. If the movie connects things, uses artistic themes by consistently associating colors or shapes with certain ideas or feelings, or has characters whose actions or philosophies are supposed to parallel or directly oppose those of another character, it will usually appeal to me. I like creative twists at the end if they are properly executed in a way that is actually surprising. If I can see how the themes of a movie relate to something real in a symbolic way, I can tell that someone has put some thought into it. I just want my movies to be more thoughtful, where it is clear that every detail has some meaning and was decided intentionally for a purpose.

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this may sound weird, but I always like to think that I am part of the movie. Is it just me or is that normal for infps?:confused:

·
15,420 Posts
I think it's normal. That might be why I can't watch certain forms of violence. I always empathize with the character that I naturally relate to the best. Sometimes that gets me in trouble.

Reactions: wheelymike

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear that its normal for infps. I believe one of the best careers for infps is directing or writing the script. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Almost anything sufficiently deep and complex is good. If the movie connects things, uses artistic themes by consistently associating colors or shapes with certain ideas or feelings, or has characters whose actions or philosophies are supposed to parallel or directly oppose those of another character, it will usually appeal to me. I like creative twists at the end if they are properly executed in a way that is actually surprising. If I can see how the themes of a movie relate to something real in a symbolic way, I can tell that someone has put some thought into it. I just want my movies to be more thoughtful, where it is clear that every detail has some meaning and was decided intentionally for a purpose.
Wow. We should definately start recommending some movies here. I could never word it as eloquently as Snail has, but everything he's said is everything I would love to be able to say! I love movies that have existential themes and also movies where I can relate to how a person is feeling or behaving. Directors and actors that enable you to connect and understand are where it's at for me. If I cry - it's good. I love dramas and especially true-life stories/documentaries. I also enjoy arty films that push boundaries or challenge you to think differently. I hate romantic comedies generally because they are so untrue to real life. They offer no real substance and almost false hope.

Just moving the topic on to TV I kind of hate TV generally for the same reason. I can't stand shows like Judge Judy or Big Brother. It's people being mean and un-necessary just to be on TV, and it's sad. If only people could relate and talk without the need for all the melodrama. I also don't like watching the news because it seems to unnecessarily promote panic and fear as well as desensitising people to terrible events, making them almost entertainment. I hate adverts that sell "happiness" in a can of paint, or the concept of "normality" or the "typical American family". There is no such thing and it is not useful for society to have yardsticks to which they compare themselves. :sad:

People buy into these things and life rarely delivers or lives up to expectations. :mellow:

·
15,420 Posts
I'm not a "he," but thanks. I don't like most television shows for the same reasons that you have expressed.

Reactions: abJason

·
15,420 Posts
Sure, but it's hard to lift my skirt to find out at a distance unless you pay attention to all of the details by my name. I get that a lot. When I chat, most people assume that I am a male until I tell them otherwise. I still haven't figured out why this assumption is so automatic, although I suppose my androgynous name and avatar don't help. Lance says that it's because I don't fit the feminine stereotype well enough, but an online test said that I was 100% feminine. I wear long, flowing dresses; wear my hair long; like puppies, children and flowers; and I'm sensitive and nurturing. I wear a lot of purple. I'm actually a lot more stereotypical than I want to be, although I am only being authentic when I behave in this manner. Since most INFPs are female, a person might expect INFP males to be mistaken for females online. I should start a thread to find out if it goes both ways.

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, but it's hard to lift my skirt to find out at a distance unless you pay attention to all of the details by my name. I get that a lot. When I chat, most people assume that I am a male until I tell them otherwise. I still haven't figured out why this assumption is so automatic, although I suppose my androgynous name and avatar don't help. Lance says that it's because I don't fit the feminine stereotype well enough, but an online test said that I was 100% feminine. I wear long, flowing dresses; wear my hair long; like puppies, children and flowers; and I'm sensitive and nurturing. I wear a lot of purple. I'm actually a lot more stereotypical than I want to be, although I am only being authentic when I behave in this manner. Since most INFPs are female, a person might expect INFP males to be mistaken for females online. I should start a thread to find out if it goes both ways.
This is why I made an option where you can choose your sex when registering. :laughing:

Reactions: poniesalmon

·
15,420 Posts
Oooh, you mean I can be whichever I want? Really? Hmmm, let me see. Girls get to dress how they please and get to express affection and cry openly, but guys have to pretend they don't care about comfort or emotional authenticity. Should I pick the gender I already have, or should I pick something new and adventurous so I can enjoy the risk of being socially ostracized for being real? Which should I pick?:unsure:

Reactions: poniesalmon

·
Banned
3,764 Posts
Romance, comedy, and suspense. But not most romantic comedies. Lately, I find it hard to sit through an entire movie unless it really captures my attention. I used to watch movies all the time when I was younger. That was all I did. Now, it's rare if I don't pause the film, and most of the time I never resume it. I have a bad habit of renting free movies from the library and never watching them. I don't read much either. I usually prefer to write or listen to music. I guess it utilizes my imagination more. When I was a kid, I mostly watched action movies, but special effects don't intrigue me too much anymore. If it's not emotionally captivating then I'm not interested. As far as television, the only show I ever watch is The Office (the American version).

·
Premium Member
ENFP, so/s_, Cosmic
3,431 Posts
I dig fantasy, sci-fi, vampire movies, musicals like Hair, and there's certain movies which have this feel eg. "when they sing Tiny Dancer in the bus on Almost Famous" but those movies carry the feeling throughout the whole movie (Idk what the weird feeling is, but watch the movie) it's also on this mediteranian movie where they live in a comune, and a whole load of others. Cartoons (I just love cartoons of almost any kind, and since movies are longer than TV episodes, it's a bonus).

ETA: Oh, I forgot to add horror movies

I hate all spoofs, war movies and family movies (especialy the ones with the "perfect" family, yuck!!!)

·
15,420 Posts
Yeah. You guess well, NephilimAzrael. Why? Is that bad? Also, nice use of alliteration.:tongue:

1 - 20 of 589 Posts