Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you, but I hold a real fondness for films that can touch me so deeply, I'm moved to tears and feel inspired to think about the points, connections and meanings behind the story and my emotions.

I truly believe it's a most beautiful gift, to be able to write, direct, act out something in a way that leaves the viewer feeling completely vulnerable to their feelings; results in trembling lips, tightening throat, the bubbling in your breaths as you gasp for air moments before you give in to threatening tears to fall. I absolutely love the collaboration between all peoples involved in creating movies -- every part, perhaps seeming little to some -- but each is truly fundamental in making the whole scene work. I wish I could better express how much I appreciate those who can come together and weave something that just leaves me @ my most human. There's sometimes never a better sense of self and relief than that of a good, long cry.

Just a couple of nights ago, I watched Ghost (1990) and caught myself in tears all throughout -- from beginning to end. Upon reflection, however, I've come to realize I haven't seen very many movies that make me cry. And my goodness -- how I would love to experience these feelings, again and again!

I'm wondering if any of you may have suggestions or personal stories about any films that may have impacted you in such a way, if you wouldn't mind sharing please? :blushed:

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
I didn't cry (okay, maybe some tears) but when I watched Grave of the Fireflies with my best friend (she cried), I ended up feeling horrible afterwards.

I think Toy Story 3 actively made me cry tho.

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
Not a movie per-say, but Tell Tales Walking Dead Season 1 Turned up the water works, poor Lee

Reactions: a peach

·
Sunset Stripper
9,648 Posts
I cried in the Game Plan, because I found the way the movie portrayed what The Rock's character did for the little girl, as her father, touching. Even though it was pretty dramatic it was still nice.

I also cried in the movie My Girl, it was so sad that the little boy died because of the bees. It just seemed so agonizing. I also thought about how my brother is allergic to bees. So my mind just went there.

I also cried in the lovely bones for something, I think that had little to do with the actual movie and more so with how the movie portrayed death, the thought overwhelmed me. The girl was just in a constant struggle. I didn't finish it.

--

I thought I had only cried in one movie in my entire life, and started off this post with "the only movie I've cried in was" but then I remembered the others.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I cry with movies that don't even deserve it. I cried when I watched Frankenweenie because there was a scene where the dog was scared. Frankenweenie. Not a movie, but Master's Sun was the only thing I can think of that actually made me start sobbing (not a book though. Books are another story altogether.)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Birbsofafeather you are just too precious, the world doesn't deserve you ooh my goodness!!
*hugs (if that's okay!) * 。゚.(*♡´◡` 人´◡` ♡*)゚ °・
(And I'm the same way about books! Desperately miss reading, I spent my entire childhood reading and crying much more easily over them than I do films ... I should really think about getting back into non-fiction ... )

@Gossip Goat Ooh my goodness My Girl! How could I forget that movie!? (There's a girl in my daycare named Vayda, I was so excited and had to tell all my co-workers!) I saw it when I was 8 and was just bawling, I don't think I've seen anything since watching Titanic in my childhood that made me cry so hard. Ooh god I was just a mess up until the very end, like it made me ugly cry so hard aah;; Thank you for reminding me of it, it's been so long!

Never seen The Lovely Bones, but by the way you describe it, I wonder if I could make it through or not asdfjkl;;

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,496 Posts
Sobbed for 45 minutes because of Pure Love and half an hour for Train to Busan (both Korean movies). When I say sob, I mean completely heartbroken, blubbering and runny noses, wanting to hug the characters themselves and cursing the director for writing heart wrenching scenes. Have never cried like I have for those two movies.

Teared up for the end of Toy Story 3 and Monsters, Inc.

Teary during the Pursuit of Happyness and Collateral Beauty.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
since someone already mentioned Grave Of The Fireflies, I'll add Brian's Song, the based-on-a-true story movie of Chicago Bears player Brian Piccolo and his battle with a terminal cancer.

-the "hey dad, you want to have a catch?" scene from Field Of Dreams
-the final rocket launch from October Sky, where young Homer Hickam finally sees eye-to-eye with his father.

Feels all around. :sad:

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Promise you won't laugh? Okay, I'll tell you a few of mine. Firstly, Turner and Hooch. If you've seen it, you can probably guess the scene that does it. Also Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Specifically, the scene where the kids go running back to the village and their parents run out to meet them and they all collide in a tidal wave of love and peace. Speaking of love and peace, there are plenty of episodes of Trigun that make me go all Niagara Falls. But probably the most unexpected tear-jerker for me is Flash Gordon from 1980. Specifically, this scene right here.

It's Queen's music that does it. It makes you feel like you're fighting alongside the brave Hawkmen as they diiive into battle against the imperious forces of Emperor Ming. And if that's not corny enough for you, the extro theme from The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension always gets me weepy for some reason. What's wrong with me?
:blushed:

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
I cry with movies that don't even deserve it. I cried when I watched Frankenweenie because there was a scene where the dog was scared. Frankenweenie. Not a movie, but Master's Sun was the only thing I can think of that actually made me start sobbing (not a book though. Books are another story altogether.)
That's the cutest thing I've read in a while

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Falling Down also hits me in the soul because of the tragedy of the main character, Michael Douglas's Bill "D-FENS" Foster. The Brave Little Toaster slaughters me too (only the first one).

·
Banned
7,754 Posts
I can't watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind without crying throughout now - mostly because it reminds me too nostalgically of my first love.

I recall: "Life is beautiful/ La Vita e' bella" making me cry so hard (that I can't ever watch it again because it's just...too much to cope with, knowing what's going to come).

There's so many that have made me cry actually XD

·
Banned
3,277 Posts
=And if that's not corny enough for you, the extro theme from The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension always gets me weepy for some reason. What's wrong with me?
:blushed:
Yeah me too, but it's when Rawhide shows up because he died in act2.
Sense we art including credit, this one fits me hard

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Simon Birch.
TLOTR The Return of the King.
HP and the Order of the Phoenix.
HP and the Deathly Hallows.
The Notebook.
Dear John.
The Hours.
Little Women 1994 version.
The Family Stone.
Love Actually.
Now & Then.
In America.
Brooklyn (2015)
Cold Mountain.
Titanic.
Free Willy 2.
Legends of the Fall.
The Theory of Everything.

I could type names all day xD So many.
I cried with Eternal sunshine the first time I saw it, but the other 300 times I never cried for some reason, only felt sadness but no actual tears. Such a precious fucked-up amazing movie, sigh.
I wrote down some suggestions from this thread in my planner x) thank you.

Reactions: Monadnock and dlb
1 - 20 of 23 Posts