Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this on several forums but got poor responses. What are movies that made you think and contemplate, or at least go "whoa.."?
Seven Island, for example.

List the memorable ones. :happy:

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
The Island.

The movie made me reflect/contemplate how clones would be perceived, what discriminates an individual from a clone, if they counted as a disposable "copy", or were they individuals in themselves, what was an "individual", artificial intelligence, etc.

Reactions: ambivalent_rogue

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
The Island.<br>
<br>
The movie made me reflect/contemplate how clones would be perceived, what discriminates an individual from a clone, if they counted as a disposable "copy", or were they individuals in themselves, what was an "individual", artificial intelligence, etc.
The Island made me think of how great ideas can fail when a complete moron is in charge of them. Talentless Michael Bay. That movie could have been so much more.

·
Registered
940 Posts
- Movies from Martin Scorsese (Shutter Island, The Departed, Inception etc.)

- Interstellar

- 12 monkeys

Those are some that come to my mind, but more will come.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
"Let The Right One In"

It made me think about victim turning into victimizing, surviving and being a survivor. The bullied child Oskar was ripe for Vampire Eli to target to be her next human companion because her current middle aged companion is too old and too disillusioned.

Oskar doesn't see his fate in Eli's "father" would be his to come. He has no idea that his new BFF is using his needs to manipulate him to be her killer and protector; that he'd forever be isolated in a world where only Eli matters. It's a partnership between a survivor (Eli) and a victim and victimizer (Oskar).

It's not just about blood thirsty vampire. It shows how powerless a child is and how being bullied can have huge emotional and mental impact on a child. Eli was turned into a vampire at 12. This is also how she can survive while the adult vampires were exposed and put to permanent death. She uses her "weakness" as a young child to lure adults into her orbit to survive. She befriends someone hurt and lonely, using her power to prop him up. In return, she's protected and has a legitimate front in a human companion. This "you and me" against the world is tunneled but effective in locking down a person in a less than desirable relationship (co-dependency).

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Island.

Oh wow. I was obsessed with that movie once when I became a Ewan McGregor fan. Watched it at least a dozen times.

I think the concept was good. I just hated the action parts with the crashing, flipped-over cars and everything. Thought it was pretty cheap.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Most, if not all Stanley Kubrick movies. But if I had to narrow it down, it would be: 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Watchmen. For all the negativity given by mainstream media who expected another cliche: 'beat em' Good vs Evil' flick, it made sense and was enjoyable that it even touched upon 'gray / black / orange and blue morality' and choices that people make that do not have a clear morality. To ultimately be in a decision where the means justify the ends or the ends justify the means of not only a group but the world that would not know the hell averted or induced until it was too late. I could see the INTP being a 'Dr. Manhattan' archetype if given that type of power.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The Exam
American History X
In Your Eyes
Magnolia
Requiem for a Dream

Reservoir Dogs
Before Sunrise (although it's romance, the conversations in it make you think a lot about life in general lol)
Interstellar

Bios; Theory of Everything
The Imitation Game
A Beautiful Mind
Creation

i second the Departed.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I find that to me the most thought provoking films are usually ones that are loaded with complicated human emotions, such as:

The Double Life of Veronique
Three Colours trilogy
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Breaking the Waves
The Hunt
Force Majeure
Midnight Cowboy
Stalker (and other Tarkovsky)
Contact (doesn't quite fit the category, but when I first saw it I was impressed how it contemplated religion and faith + the sci-fi part is obviously interesting)
Full Metal Jacket (and other Kubrick)
Ingmar Bergman films

While I really enjoy many science fiction movies I can't say most of them got me thinking any more than usual. Many films that are generally regarded as thought provoking are in my opinion a bit pretentious, silly and shallow (like Inception and Interstellar). Matrix was cool when I first saw it (I went to see it in a movie theather when I was quite young), but I can't say it was a mind expanding experience.

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
THE WAKING LIFE11111!!!!!!

seriously!!! that movie was awesome. Just full of gooey, warm, philosophical goodness. It raised some questions for me. Some serious hard questions.

A scanner darkly

Spring-breakers.
Such great societal-commentary on today's pop culture. Today's culture.

It's Spring Break....

Forever......

It's Spring Break....

Forever.....

(these are only recent)

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
Black Snake Moan
Cloud Atlas (brilliant flick)
I saw the devil
Dear White People
The Fountain (complete mind fuck the first time) / Black Swan
Ordinary Decent Criminal (always thought how awesome it would be to have that kind of life)
Whiplash
Foxcatcher
No Country For Old Men
Wild Bill
The Hunt
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

These are the ones that come in mind for now

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
A Beautiful Mind
Dagon
Gattaca
Gravity
Idiocracy
Inception
Jumper
Looper
Memento
Minority Report
Pandorum
Primer
Shutter Island
Soylent Green
Stardust
Sunshine
The Machinist
The Man from the Earth

For those I remember. Most of them just get Ti-Ne running. Some of them are less intensive, and the others are perfect for INTPs. Special mention for the last one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Has anyone else here seen the movie Brick?

It's a great noir detective movie set in a modern high school, with the same dialogue you'd expect from 1930's hardboiled detectives.

I can't tell if the main character is an INTP, or if he just exhibits all the qualities my INTP brain wants to be.

I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Has anyone else here seen the movie Brick?

It's a great noir detective movie set in a modern high school, with the same dialogue you'd expect from 1930's hardboiled detectives.

I can't tell if the main character is an INTP, or if he just exhibits all the qualities my INTP brain wants to be.

I'd highly recommend it.
Yes I have, about 9 years ago.

I was impressed by Joseph Gordon Levitt in the film Mysterious Skin. He had a depth and rawness that was rare to see (reminds me of River Phoenix in Running on Empty). Acting is a strange thing. I pick up on pretension and faux emotion therefore when I see someone portraying a character that was genuine and "real", I want to follow their career.

Brick was my 2nd Levitt film. It gave out a strong noir vibe as if from a Humphrey Bogart classic. Levitt also had a Bogart vibe in his expressionless face and doggedness. His character could be an INTP now that I think about it. It's even more impressive because his character in Mysterious Skin was NOT an INTP.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes I have, about 9 years ago.

I was impressed by Joseph Gordon Levitt in the film Mysterious Skin. He had a depth and rawness that was rare to see (reminds me of River Phoenix in Running on Empty). Acting is a strange thing. I pick up on pretension and faux emotion therefore when I see someone portraying a character that was genuine and "real", I want to follow their career.

Brick was my 2nd Levitt film. It gave out a strong noir vibe as if from a Humphrey Bogart classic. Levitt also had a Bogart vibe in his expressionless face and doggedness. His character could be an INTP now that I think about it. It's even more impressive because his character in Mysterious Skin was NOT an INTP.
I'm also very impressed with Levitt's depth and growth as an actor. My first experience with him was his role on 3rd Rock from the Sun. Watching him in Brick... it was hard to believe it was the same person.
I've never heard of Mysterious Skin before, I think I'll check it out.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I'm also very impressed with Levitt's depth and growth as an actor. My first experience with him was his role on 3rd Rock from the Sun. Watching him in Brick... it was hard to believe it was the same person.
I've never heard of Mysterious Skin before, I think I'll check it out.
That was my reaction watching him in Mysterious Skin. "Was he the kid from 3rd Rock?" He's one child actor that has successfully transitioned into adulthood and adult actor. I believe that his family (functional and supportive) and his personality both played a role in his development as a person and an actor.

However, he doesn't have a typical leading man face and physique. 500 Days of Summer is a good fit for him because average Joes (the nerdy geeky type) can identify with him being infatuated with Summer, the geeks' Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

BTW, it used Zooey Deschanel effectively in her having the visage and persona being a MPDG but not falling for a nerd like it should have been in a nerd's dream world.

If Levitt picks projects carefully, he'd have a long acting life as a character and major supporting player.

Reactions: Miskatonic81
1 - 20 of 38 Posts