Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering. How many of us would move for a chance of love?
I don't mean JUST a scenario like, where you love somebody far away and want to move to go see them, no. I mean several things by this. I'll list the questions for you :)
(By the way. Please, don't bother with the "it's not needed" or "this is stupid because...." or anything of the sort. If you don't want to talk about the actual topic in a way that contributes helpfully, please, respectfully, don't even bother replying.)
I'd really enjoy if everyone could give sentences or paragraphs to each question, I enjoy specifics.
-Would you move to another town/city/country/state if you knew it meant you had a CHANCE at a HOPE of finding love?
(What I mean by this is, it is hypothetically close to hopeless for you to find love in your current area due to things like sexuality, culture, or other circumstances. So you don't even have a chance at having a realistic hope for romance where you are)
-Would you move to a different state/country/city/town if you had a romantic interest living there?
(As follow ups to this one, I'd like to know if you'd move if you were just really interested in them and they hardly knew you existed and the other scenario being if you would do so if you had a long distance relationship with them)
-How far would you travel for love? In other words, would you go very far out of your current plans at all if it meant you had a chance for a significant other?
(Many of us have future plans, how many of them really include a 2nd person? I know, not necessary for one's one happiness etc etc, but, could your plans possibly deviate if it meant you might end up having a romantic encounter?)

If you think of any questions that should be added, just include it in your posts :) I can just update it. I appreciate your feedback, I think this is an interesting topic to think about and to hear about, I hope a few others might agree.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I've been wondering. How many of us would move for a chance of love?
I don't mean JUST a scenario like, where you love somebody far away and want to move to go see them, no. I mean several things by this. I'll list the questions for you :)
(By the way. Please, don't bother with the "it's not needed" or "this is stupid because...." or anything of the sort. If you don't want to talk about the actual topic in a way that contributes helpfully, please, respectfully, don't even bother replying.)
I'd really enjoy if everyone could give sentences or paragraphs to each question, I enjoy specifics.
-Would you move to another town/city/country/state if you knew it meant you had a CHANCE at a HOPE of finding love?
(What I mean by this is, it is hypothetically close to hopeless for you to find love in your current area due to things like sexuality, culture, or other circumstances. So you don't even have a chance at having a realistic hope for romance where you are)
-Would you move to a different state/country/city/town if you had a romantic interest living there?
(As follow ups to this one, I'd like to know if you'd move if you were just really interested in them and they hardly knew you existed and the other scenario being if you would do so if you had a long distance relationship with them)
-How far would you travel for love? In other words, would you go very far out of your current plans at all if it meant you had a chance for a significant other?
(Many of us have future plans, how many of them really include a 2nd person? I know, not necessary for one's one happiness etc etc, but, could your plans possibly deviate if it meant you might end up having a romantic encounter?)

If you think of any questions that should be added, just include it in your posts :) I can just update it. I appreciate your feedback, I think this is an interesting topic to think about and to hear about, I hope a few others might agree.
1. Yes, I would, though I'd do it even if I could find love in my area (which I can; I live in a reasonably sized city, so there's no shortage of available women). It's in my nature to pursue novelty, and this extends to most areas of my life; a wild, passionate encounter in an exotic location is not something I would hope to miss out on.

2. No, I don't think so, unless they lived in a sufficiently interesting place. Then again, who knows; if I thought the person was worth it, I might.

3. I wouldn't go far out of my plans; if I find love, I would rather experience it on my own terms.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
To all of those questions, I thought yes and would like to say yes.
However, seeing as I have been in those situations multiple times, I have to say no.

Apparently love so far has not been enough.

I wouldn't move for love.
Other reasons, yes. Love, no.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I agree with almost everything dark romantic said, except for number one, which would also be no, so no to everything for love. As much as I'm a romantic, I prefer to experience things on my own terms like he said

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Yes, yes and yes...if the place I was going would still be appealing to me if the relationship didn't work out.

I'm not going to move somewhere I know I would hate or be less happy.

I have to have a "Plan B"...welp, that didn't work out, I still have x, y, z here. It's highly doubtful that I'm gonna move to Antarctica or Arkansas.

·
Banned
493 Posts
I would move, yes. I live life to the extreme... Idk. Makes it funner. I'm quite impulsive. I don't know if that's such a good thing...

I love cute boys <3 They're my achilles' heel...

If it goes wrong, I will have learned from that mistake.

As an INFP, I really embrace my emotions, my downfalls... I feel alive when things go wrong. It's very human and beautiful to me. So I move from that mistake to better things.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Situation 1: No, I wouldn't move because I couldn't find love in my local area. If nothing else, there's the internet. Moving's a *itch and I'd rather not go through all the hassle without something meaningful behind it.

Situation 2: If I had an established LDR, then yes, I would be willing to move there to be with that person. Hell, been there and done that already, despite it not working out in the end. But then again, there would already be that motivation, that person waiting there for me. It wouldn't be a move based on some blind hope, cuz moving's still a *itch.

Situation 3: I would move anywhere for a LDR, on the assumption it's affordable to do so. I don't have any long-term plans that keep me tied to where I am. I'm much more of a people-oriented person than a work-oriented person. My job's a paycheck. I can always get a job somewhere. *shrug* Hell, I'd up and move for an SO who might have a job transfer in the works if she really wanted to go for it.

I prefer stability, but the right people can be motivators to change things up. I'm not going to move just to move though. To relocate takes a lot of effort and there has to be a pay-off. You gotta set up a new address, get a new license for your car, get a new job, figure out the lay of the land to get around, etc.

Reactions: Smiling Aria

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I would move for someone I loved who I'd been with for a long time given the whole thing was definitely going to be stable. Moving for a potential lover? No, most definitely not. I will not move merely for the chance to happen. Moving is far too much of a gigantic investment and could ruin my life if things went to shit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately because, where I am.. there really isn't much of a chance at all. I've given up hope on the whole thing for as long as I'm in this area. It would be easier for me to move to a bigger more diverse place than to stay in a closed minded place in the first place, and moving to where LGBT are more widely accepted and more easily found would give me a better chance, so I could at least have a semi-realistic dream in terms of romance.
As for moving for a potential lover, I don't think I could place that much trust in very many people. If she were really that amazing, I suppose I'd definitely consider it, provided that it's not too ridiculous, drastic, and difficult to do so. Especially if I knew for certain that this person could earn a great deal of my trust. It would help if the area was .. what I like in a place I guess.
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to travel to Europe to be together with a lover. Just throw caution to the wind and do something really spontaneous and have it all turn out wonderfully.. Pretty unlikely, nice to dream about though. With my current life plans, I'll probably be here for a year or so longer, maybe less.. Idk. But, after that, I'll be able to sustain myself wherever I go with a steady paycheck. I think as long as I know I can get a job, I'm pretty willing to travel there, as long as I know I can survive without the situation getting desperate.

·
Banned
551 Posts
so far - from Israel to Canada. my plans change & adapt all the time since what i want changes all the time, so that wasn't a big deal, i just adapted them.
i did with my xwife, but we already had a romantic relationship going on before that. as for going for someone who didn't know i existed... i don't think i would do it, but i can't be sure.

hmm... maybe.
in canada i was the handsome giant with worldly knowledge, an exotic accent and dark complexion, as well as classical masculine traits that the local population has lost, while still being very modern in some ways since past geeky hobbies such as gaming have become mainstream there, living among the skinny fair-skinned blonds and redheads who i jokingly nicknamed maple-elves (i never actually cheated but the attention was awesome)...
in israel you know what all of that makes me? an overweight jock with dorky tendecies. but if one of their slender fair skinned blue eyed natural-bonds with anglo saxon mannerism, male or female, ever came to israel, they'd be sunken in a big pile of the opposite sex (and some same sex).
my point is that almost everybody has a better chance of finding love - or at least sexual attraction that can lead to love - if they move outside of their main ethnic habitat, and as much as we'd like to think of all modern countries being so diverse, when it comes down to it we reallly aren't.

Reactions: Smiling Aria

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Um, no offence, but this reminds me of the plot of Dumb & Dumber.

"I'll tell ya where we'll go. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talkin' bout a little place called...Aspen." - Lloyd from Dumb & Dumber

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
I would do anything for love, but not necessarily for the hope of love. It would depend on the person, but more often than not, I'm probably not going to move for someone who barely knows I exist. For someone I love and who loves me, I would move anywhere to be with them.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I would do anything for love, but not necessarily for the hope of love. It would depend on the person, but more often than not, I'm probably not going to move for someone who barely knows I exist. For someone I love and who loves me, I would move anywhere to be with them.
You know hon, I always wanted to move to Antarctica one day ... you game? :p

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
For the chance of love? No, unless I was living in a place like Alaska or North Dakota where the male to female ratio is huge.

I would only make a significant move, which I'll define as out of my (large) urban area, if I was deeply involved with someone (and I'd only be deeply involved if they lived near me) and they had a uniquely beneficial opportunity elsewhere that they couldn't pass up and couldn't replicate locally. Even then, that would be WAY hard in general. I'm also licensed professionally in my state, and getting a new license in another state would be a royal PIA.

That's just generally, and hypothetically. In reality, because I share custody of my son, there's no way I'd move very far from him.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
1. No. If I was well-established and had great opportunities to meet my other life goals in my current location, potential for romance would not be enough of a reason for me to move.

2. Yes, with qualifiers. I recently moved across the country as a result of a LDR. BUT I would not have moved at that time for the relationship alone. An excellent career opportunity happened to come up within 50km of where my love interest lived. It was the combination of the job and the relationship that prompted the move, not the relationship alone.

3. Not anymore. I did this for a relationship when I was younger - never again. Compromise is always possible, but I will never sacrifice my goals again simply for companionship.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I'd move. Ideally, if I had the money, I'd leave where I currently live at to another locale that fits me both with the people, politics and lifestyle. Once you live in snobville, you want out.

No, if they hardly know I exist. Definitely not. If we're in an LTR- maybe, depends. Locale is important. There's always a way for couples to agree to move somewhere else together and not just in the same hometown if they wish.

Maybe, yes because life isn't always 100% certain and plans don't always work out the way we intend them to be.. I'd be flexible if that means that both he/I financially can afford it.

Money is my number 1 factor in determining most of my life choices. So yeah. If I can't afford it, I won't get involved. I know that people say that the guy should take care of the girl. Realistically, it works both ways. If I'm serious with someone and we both have a working plan and are engaged or married, yeah- even then those are really huge commitments I'd have to sit on and think about cus I'm broke?!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm not really sure I understand the exact nuances of the question as worded. I will just say that I would definitely not leave my career just to find a place to increase my chances of finding a partner (fortunately for me though, my career is probably already taking me there anyway!)

As for relocating for someone I already care about, that is a more complex question. My first instinct is to say no way, but over time I have come to the conclusion that I would have to carefully assess the specific circumstances. So it depends.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
yeah why not...but not for the chance of love. I'll move when I know my love is there.

Reactions: Stephen

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Yes. If for some reason there was no way for me to find love from where I am, I would move to where love became more probable. I actually remember when I did a trial of eHarmony, the site told me that based on my responses to the questions I would have a much better chance of finding a match if I moved to another state... I forget what state it was.

I find this hard to imagine, though, with resources like the Internet for meeting people who are far away. So I'll say yes I would, but this would never happen because I could meet someone online without moving and then move to be with them. Which would lead us to question two.

As it stands, I don't have the ability to move because I have legal obligations to stay where I am. Outside of those, I would move.

None of my plans, save for taking care of my daughter, are set in stone this way. I have a career with good pay and excellent benefits. I'd give that up and move as far as necessary to be with the woman I love.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts