Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ex-fiance ended things permanently on 9/13, and was emotionally moving on to a friend of mine (to whom I introduced him) the very next day. Whether that is ideal or healthy or whatnot... not my life, not my decision. But ~I~ need help.

When I met him, I was ready for "the real deal". I was ready to settle down, make a life with someone, be their true partner in everything. As it turns out, he was not ready for it like he thought he was... whatever. But I'm still ready to find that partnership with someone... have been for awhile, thought I found it, was wrong, but am still ready for that part of my life. With or without that guy in particular, I am ready to have my socks knocked off by someone.

I've been corresponding with a couple of people on dating sites... no one particularly "wow", but no one terrible. I'm thinking of meeting one of them at some point next week, but I don't know if it's a good idea or not. Would just having dinner with someone be so bad? Perhaps it would get my mind off of things, or maybe it would make my whole situation 9000x worse.

NOTE: I have no intention of rebounding, if that's what you're thinking. I don't plan on having sex for quite awhile, with whoever I end up knowing, and I don't plan to jump into serious commitments any time soon. I just... don't know if putting myself back out there, even in a casual and non-committal way, is a good idea or not. I have a feeling it will either give me some much-needed self-confidence back, or it will break my heart out of sheer frustration.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I don't see what bad can come out of it if you feel you're up to dating new people again. Usually after break-ups people hide for a while because they need time to think to themselves and also prevent themselves from spilling negative emotions all around. Once they kind of restructure, refocus, and are ready to face world again they start dating. Whether you need to do this depends on the break-up conditions of course, and where you personally feel you're at. There is no single prescription formula that one should follow after a break-up.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have been that situation. However, I recommend that you offer to go to new places and different spots than you previous relationships.
1. If the date doesn't work out you at least had a new experience and the date can be forgettable.
2. It takes away any possible conversation of reminding you of any ex?
3. It will also allow you to focus on the date? Example: If you frequent a place you are more likely to be interuppted or the ask a question like how's your ex? not reaizing you are on a date.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Even though you say you are ready to move on, I would recommend taking just a bit of time alone. You were engaged to this guy. That's a big step. I married mine, and when it didn't work out, I had to take some time alone. Maybe you need a few weeks, maybe a few months. Whatever. Just be sure you're ready or you might get hurt again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts