Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a recent fantasy of mine but please indulge me...

It seems the older I get, the more I want to live far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Every time I get into another traffic jam, or see the overwhelming swaths of people flooding the streets, I die a little inside. Don't get me wrong, I like to visit and do touristy things as much as the next person, but there is an allure to the simple life that a small town offers. It irked me when Paris Hilton did that mockery of a show back in the day. I despise people like her who look exploit others for shameless publicity.

I want to know if there are others who have entertained this idea or have actually moved from the city to a small town.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I for one agree with you.

and I don't even live in what many consider a "big city" LOL. though I think its big (salt lake city). the traffic, the rude/selfish people...the..well just too many people. yeah, i think I'd like a smaller quiet town. But I think I idealize it. I do enjoy a lot of what the city offers...concerts, movies, plays, sports, good stores, etc.

one great thing about living in slc is that on sundays at least half of the peole don't go out. so crowds are way less. my favorite day for shopping. makes things quite bearable

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you move to a small town you wont want to be anywhere else. The houses in the boonies are cheaper, you can actually afford acreage as opposed to the city where one acre is like unheard of.

There are things to consider living far out is hard on your car, takes more gas, and there isnt as much nightlife. But if you move somewhere pretty, like a slower pace, and no nosey neighbors it is heaven.

I want nothing more to get me back to my small town or find another. If you like solitude, slowing it down, and a sense of belonging it is wonderful.

Though its a make or break it. Either people like living in the middle of nowhere or they hate it. I have found in the first two years many people end up leaving or divorcing because they couldnt handle it whereas some people its the best thing that has happened to. Its definitly an adjustment but worth it, to the right person.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I for one agree with you.

and I don't even live in what many consider a "big city" LOL. though I think its big (salt lake city). the traffic, the rude/selfish people...the..well just too many people. yeah, i think I'd like a smaller quiet town. But I think I idealize it. I do enjoy a lot of what the city offers...concerts, movies, plays, sports, good stores, etc.

one great thing about living in slc is that on sundays at least half of the peole don't go out. so crowds are way less. my favorite day for shopping. makes things quite bearable
yeah, for a culture whore like myself, it would be pretty hard to give up those things.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I dont know anything else but life in a small town. I can understand why city life is seen as crowded and claustrophobic. Hell, I don't even like to go shopping there any more with all the dense traffic and the trouble getting a parking spot.

My town is not actually that small, around 2000 people, its well serviced with a decent sized supermarket and its surrounded with larger cities on all sides. Its also not too parochial unlike some small towns can be. We have a diverse population of 'natives' like me and people who have come in from elsewhere.
One thing you will definitely need when living in a town is a car. You are really stuck if you don't have one.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
How ironic, I was thinking about moving to the big city. However, I don't intend to drive around (New York-style). I think it would be great just walking around everywhere.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I do think the open space of a small town is nice and there's less people, but I feel I would probably get bored easily. I like big cities that have a lot going on. Where I live is pretty in between which is nice.The main streets are sometimes congested in the day which is kind of annoying though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used to live on a farm between two towns of 3600 ppl and 1800 ppl. I LOVED it! Our closest neighbors were close enough to walk, if we needed help, but far enough away that they didn't bother us and we didn't bother them. (Having a baby with sensory integration issues, ie he screamed constantly for four years, space was a must!) Unfortunately, we had to move away. We now live in a town of about 28000. I did prefer the farm, but this town is ok, too - we actually don't live IN town, but we do have nosey neighbors... I really can't handle living in a big city. I've lived in several, and grew up in big cities, and absolutely hated it. All those PEOPLE!!! And not much in the way of nature.:frustrating:

·
Registered
191 Posts
to the op - try to have the best of both worlds a small place NEAR a city. Small towns suck to be frank (lack of amenities) ... being close enables the options of BOTH lifestyles
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
431 Posts
You'd love the Bay Area in California... a whole bunch of small cities connected to bigger cities, and even quiet suburbs in the outskirts that are close enough to take a couple quick buses to busier parts. Everything is connected which is great and there is just so much to do even in the suburb parts because of the connectedness to all the cities. I mean connected as in sharing streets connected. Kinda like one huge town. Average populations in each sub-town are probably around 50k-100k some have over 100k while then even some have less than 50k, but it can get a little pricy out here since it is right next to the Pacific. Oh, and the culture smacks you in the face wherever you go. Being next to San Fran culture boils down your neck.

I think the LA area is somewhat the same as well, California is just a great place to live. :proud:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts