• ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is regarding the original series Spock portrayed by Leonard Nimoy. If you do not have sufficient knowledge of this character (i. e. you have never actually seen episodes of TOS) PLEASE do not answer this poll. (Sorry, but I don’t value uneducated opinions.)

Here’s my take on it:
To me, Spock has Fi like Earth has freaking oxygen. Spock is also clearly an introvert. Which gives us two options for placement: Either he’s got Fi dom. and it’s very, very, very suppressed by his Vulcan upbringing and/or DNA, or he’s got Fi tertiary (which is still very suppressed). Personally, I like the Fi dominant Spock theory because the idea of a Spock who is secretly in constant emotional turmoil with many, many emotional ‘values’ rolling around in him is quite hilarious and surprisingly fitting. Plus, if he’s Fi dom. he has inferior Te, which, coupled with his Vulcan influences, could explain his strict, almost obsessive adherence to logic (which sort of mimics Ti?). However, it is entirely possible his Fi is buffered by other things, including previously mentioned Te, but I think if Te was auxiliary instead of inferior he would be much more leader-y and less advisor-y. (In one episode, he actually tells Kirk he would never want to be a Captain because he would have to lead. That does not sound like Te aux. to me.) So, I’m going to go with Fi dom. which makes him an IXFP. Now, he either has Ne/Si or Se/Ni. I’m inclined towards the Ne/Si combination because his has great respect for and adherence to authority (Si) and can always supply a new theory or two (Ne) (Not to say those are the only two functions that can do those things, but I think that’s the purpose for which Spock uses them.). (Also because I’ve never seen any Se or Ni in him.) That function order (Fi, Ne, Si, Te) would make him an INFP.

·
Banned
465 Posts
It seems to me that Vulcan is the long-lost home planet where people with Asperger's seem to think they belong. The decreased emphasis on and lack of understanding of social interaction, the exhaustively anal attention to detail and specifics, the totally strict and rigorous adherence to the rules, and a lack of emotion seem to support this hypothesis. Even a half-Vulcan like Spock, whom all of these things do apply to slightly less than other members of his species, still thoroughly has all of these traits. So I'm going with ISTJ, since Asperger's is simply all of the ISTJ traits taken to the extreme, and Vulcan seems like a planet of people who all share almost identical personalities.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But Spock is also half-human (And if you're saying all Vulcans are ISTJs, then only half of him is ISTJ (That part is a joke)). I think he acts like the super-analytic computer because he was raised as if that was how he was supposed to be. Also, Vulcans cannot possibly all have the same personality just because they bury emotions (or forgo them entirely) and place less emphasis on social interaction. I don't think that any species (or race or whatever) is all the same type. That's like saying all humans are ESFPs, because they're loud, emotionally dependent, sensory Se driven, and spend too much time surrounded by others like them. (Not to say this is true, just an example) Do you have any reasons for Spock, specifically, being ISTJ?

·
Banned
465 Posts
But Spock is also half-human (And if you're saying all Vulcans are ISTJs, then only half of him is ISTJ (That part is a joke)). I think he acts like the super-analytic computer because he was raised as if that was how he was supposed to be. Also, Vulcans cannot possibly all have the same personality just because they bury emotions (or forgo them entirely) and place less emphasis on social interaction. I don't think that any species (or race or whatever) is all the same type. That's like saying all humans are ESFPs, because they're loud, emotionally dependent, sensory Se driven, and spend too much time surrounded by others like them. (Not to say this is true, just an example) Do you have any reasons for Spock, specifically, being ISTJ?
But it's the way the Vulcans condition themselves in their youth. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm just saying the typical Vulcan would be described by most as an ISTJ. Honestly I find it hard to see personality without any emotion involved. The two seem to be inseparably connected. No emotions means less distinguishable personality. As for Spock, from what I recall of TOS, he constantly recites rules and regulations and seems to consider them unbreakable, has difficulty understanding non-objective values, is very detail-oriented, and frequently deals in hard logical truths. Seems pretty ISTJ to me. It's true that Spock has been known to let his emotions come to the surface more than most Vulcans, but it's not enough for me to classify him as anything else.

·
Banned
465 Posts
In one episode, he actually tells Kirk he would never want to be a Captain because he would have to lead. That does not sound like Te aux. to me.
ISTJs tend to be followers or advisors. It's the INTJs who are more likely to be the leaders, and even they will be pretty reluctant to do it unless they consider all other options to be incompetent. Spock has been known to take charge when he has to anyway.

Plus, I just don't think there's enough evidence for your Fi-dominant theory. An INFP's emotion may be introverted, but it's still what defines them. Spock's Si seems to take great precedence over his Fi. I think he has it, but it's tertiary. Also, he definitely seems to have a good deal of Te. Not the leading kind of Te, but the cold hard logical efficiency kind of Te. It would take an awful lot to bury Fi so thoroughly if it was dominant. And besides, if the end goal of such a radical process of Vulcan upbringing is an ISTJ regardless of what the person started out as, how can you even distinguish between a converted ISTJ and someone who was an ISTJ all along? And does it even matter?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But it's the way the Vulcans condition themselves in their youth. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm just saying the typical Vulcan would be described by most as an ISTJ. Honestly I find it hard to see personality without any emotion involved. The two seem to be inseparably connected. No emotions means less distinguishable personality. As for Spock, from what I recall of TOS, he constantly recites rules and regulations and seems to consider them unbreakable, has difficulty understanding non-objective values, is very detail-oriented, and frequently deals in hard logical truths. Seems pretty ISTJ to me. It's true that Spock has been known to let his emotions come to the surface more than most Vulcans, but it's not enough for me to classify him as anything else.
Okay... I considered Spock an exception. I see your point; I kind of chalked it up to external influences. I mean, if I was living in a world of people who pretended to be/acted like extreme ISTJs, I'd probably act more like one, too. That's the main problem I came across when typing Spock, trying to separate his actual personality from his Vulcan upbringing/DNA/whatever. (The strict adherence to rules I thought was inferior Te (not taking charge) not Si but what do I know about the innerworkings of a fictional character's mind.)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And, does that happen? Can a person ever really be "converted" from one type to another? Or is their real "first" type just buried and squashed?

So we both think it's Fi-Te & Ne-Si, but we don't agree on the order? Honestly, if a person's type COULD change, the order of functions would definitely be the easiest to do so with...

And, no it absolutely does not matter.

·
Banned
465 Posts
And, does that happen? Can a person ever really be "converted" from one type to another? Or is their real "first" type just buried and squashed?

And, no it absolutely does not matter.
I personally believe it can happen. I am of the school of thought that both nature and nurture influence personality. But yeah, we are talking about a fictional character here, and a half-alien one at that. I'm not even sure if there's a way to tell if Spock always was an ISTJ, was "guided" into being an ISTJ, or just behaves like an ISTJ most of the time. I suppose you could argue that the times when his emotions slip out are evidence of a "buried" or suppressed personality, but I always thought that was just his "human" side emerging. Even ISTJs feel after all. (I think.) But what do I know about Star Trek anyway? I'm a casual fan with only fuzzy recollections of most TOS episodes, and I'm sure a true Trekkie could come up with some smoking detailed retort filled with examples of episodes that prove me wrong.

Reactions: Malkovich

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally believe it can happen. I am of the school of thought that both nature and nurture influence personality. \
Maybe you're right, but I always thought nurture only affected projected personality, instead of true internal personality...

Also, there's virtually no evidence for my Fi dom. theory. I just really like it and it makes weird sense to me.

P. S. I sort of wish I was an extreme Trekkie of the sort you're describing...but I'm not old enough... I started when I was 10, and have still only seen all of TOS, Next Generation, and only parts of DS9.

·
Registered
527 Posts
INTJ, perhaps ISTJ would be right It seems. Spock seems to know what is going to happen, and takes the logical course of action.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Spock is too literal, too concrete, too rules and specifics-oriented to be INTJ.

Reactions: Malkovich

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
Spock is a character on a TV show and serves a functional role as portrayed, versus an attempt to create a textured, psychologically consistent character.

In this case, he seems to enjoy both logical argumentation from the broad perspective, while also maintaining stricture and austerity in his external presentation (including dress, language, and closure-focus). He doesn't seem to understand Fe-style rules (arbitrary and confusing to him), while later in life shows some type of F development based on his particular relationships and commitments to specific individuals.

From a cog funct perspective, INTx doesn't make a lot of sense since they involve totally different function orders; I'd lean ITJ if anything, especially (in terms of the J) compared to Kirk's obvious P.

Spock resembles nothing like an IFP.

Reactions: Robopop
1 - 13 of 13 Posts