Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure someone out there understands that Multiple intelligences report at Personality.Info who might be willing to share. In particular, the "Logical" subset is the one that bothers me. I score high on that attribute, however, when I read the description of it, they put a lot of emphasis on enjoying and being good at math. While I can certainly agree there might be an aptitude for math for logical natured individuals, I can't understand why they put such an emphasis on it. There are many methods you employ logic, be it critical thinking, data analysis, etc.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that, given I avoid math and generally suck at it, would that mean there's a flaw with me, or with the weight they give it at personality.info?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I do immesley poor at math as well as in, I can understand the concept well but if one were to give a an equation I most likely wouldn't be able to do it without guidance or an example
Instead of doing very well at math, I am rather adept in language

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
They're similar since logic often replaces statements with symbols. I've never done much math myself even in college, but I know if I put my mind to it I can excel.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
PhD in computational physics, presently a quant (applied mathematician) for a trading firm. Math is not really a problem, although I'm relatively not too good at purely symbolic math.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I don't care for the finer details of mathematics. I appreciate it more when I can apply it to something and understand the bigger picture. Other than that, I could care less.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I used to think like you, caring mostly about the outcome. But math can be very elegant, very pretty to look at...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
"...a hot dog without the meat..."

Then it would be a "hot-bun". Actually, I assume the equations are correct, skim over them, and focus on the author's conclusions. Really, it's the only way I can approach set theory, general relativity, quantum mechanics, etc. I just don't have the mathematical "chops" to appreciate the elegance of a finely crafted equation. My loss, I know.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm not an NT or a T at all, but I do consider myself a logical thinker, and have been credited as such (by everyone except my ISTP husband ha)...and I am horrid at math. I do think there is too much emphasis on math. People trait math like it's the definition of logic, but as you say, it's one of many instances where logic would be used.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The problem with multiple intelligences is that it is entirely unscientific. Although the quantitative aspects of MBTI are lacking, many find real trends. Even then, most, I would make assumption that the people of this forum as well, make much more broad sweeping generalizations in the name of consumerism about the INTJ. With that aside, multiple intelligences has no academic backing. The study of intelligence, along with any successful studies, has quantitative tests, its odd that such a quantitative field would even have a theory without the numbers. Multiple intelligences is fun pseudo-science at best, misleading and malicious at worse. I prefer to use quantitative methods of brains power to keep in the scientific tradition of Byzantines.

A side comment, I find mathematics fascinating, especially my families experiences and struggles with its understanding, how it was core at the creation of my perennial philosophy and life, and core to my ever increasing success. Societies' view on numbers does have an impact on the philosophical outlooks, as such, math is essential in a lot of things. Some say if there are any intelligence types its mathematical and non mathematical, but I digress. The first paragraph contains most important message.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I used to think like you, caring mostly about the outcome. But math can be very elegant, very pretty to look at...
I'm not saying it isn't beautiful. It IS the only language known universally throughout the world besides English. That is beautiful in and of itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts