Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I find an interest, it becomes rather obsessive to me. Computers (and all related entities) have always been my long-standing obsession; however I also have many mundane obsessions. With my family having been rather early adopters of 56k (parents ran mortgage business from home--networking was important), I've had time to develop these obsessions online from a very young age. I remember from the time I was quite young (~8?) I used to love looking at floor plans online. I was delighted by how they were pieced together, and could spend hours looking through them. This site (Surprised I found it, after all these years. I remembered the name "Michael".) was always one of my favorites. I also (to this day) have obsessions with things such as watches, high quality pens/pencils, knives, and lighters.

Is anyone else plagued with mundane obsessions? What are they?

Reactions: QuietStorm

·
Banned
1,001 Posts
Whenever I find an interest, it becomes rather obsessive to me. Computers (and all related entities) have always been my long-standing obsession; however I also have many mundane obsessions. With my family having been rather early adopters of 56k (parents ran mortgage business from home--networking was important), I've had time to develop these obsessions online from a very young age. I remember from the time I was quite young (~8?) I used to love looking at floor plans online. I was delighted by how they were pieced together, and could spend hours looking through them. This site (Surprised I found it, after all these years. I remembered the name "Michael".) was always one of my favorites. I also (to this day) have obsessions with things such as watches, high quality pens/pencils, knives, and lighters.

Is anyone else plagued with mundane obsessions? What are they?
Wow okay....I LOVE this thread.

I always thought I was a strange kid. I used to look at floor plans too. I loved them. I'd convert them into 3-D images in my head, and I'd ask my brothers for graphing paper so that I should draw designs of my own. Some of them are quite intricate. :)

Other occasional obsessions...
-Finding Cool Baby Names
-Reading
-Drawing
-Piano
-Writing (music or novels)
-Making jewelry
-Doing other crafts (although most didn't last long)

But I always had such strange spouts of extitement for the strangest things. haha

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be an architect or do graphic design.
Architecture seriously interests me. It's a great bridge between rigorous engineering and intuition. This scared me a bit, though. That's why I've explored other fields of engineering.

I think I could do alright in graphic design, however it's becoming extremely overpopulated. You really have to be the best at what you do in creative fields like that to get anywhere. I just don't think that I have that kind of aptitude. I'm spatially adept and very precise when it comes to things like that (oh the hours I've spent getting Photoshop projects to look just right), however lacking in creativity.

Reactions: nadjasix

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Erm, I like the novelty that one can come across on the web, certain aspects of engineering have captured my imagination for a brief period of time(electroencephalography and 3d printing for example) but it’s always in a very novel and superficial sense.

I’m not capable of having an obsession, I wouldn’t mind a few though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I go through cycles of obsession. I'll find something and get REALLY REALLY SUPER INTO IT for a few months and then something else will come along and I'll do the same thing. Sometimes I'll revisit obsessions if they're really good. The only exceptions to this are DC Comics and Physics, which I am utterly and completely enamored with and probably will be for the rest of my life, because they're both such a big part of who I am.

My list of past obsessions is as follows:
Doctor Who
Pokemon
Star Wars
Star Trek
Battlestar Galactica
Song of Ice and Fire
Deadpool
Music
Theater
Team Fortress 2/Portal
Dragonball Z (watched every single episode, all in a row)

I'm currently slipping from Song of Ice and Fire back into Team Fortress 2. I'm still a huge fan of all of these, though, with the exception of Deadpool. I'm starting to get into Spider-man, Uncanny X-Men, and Daredevil as well, and this might lead into a Marvel obsession. We'll see. I'm just gonna let it play out.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I once had an "obsession" with fountain pens, quills, and practicing calligraphy. I went all out and even got one of these

so I could practice calligraphy in my leather bound journal in candlelight.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I know what you mean. I have nothing to show for them because I really don't collect anything.

I'm obsessed with Google Chrome themes, right now I have Mario Brothers.

Once I got obsessed with something as mundane as television segways(news and talk shows).

I've always been obsessed with commercials.

The first 3 seasons of Just Shoot Me for about a year.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently slipping from Song of Ice and Fire back into Team Fortress 2.
I'm big on game obsessions, but TF2 is the one I always go back to. I've logged around 1500 hours--and I've only played for around 2 years. If not TF2, I'm generally playing CSS, LoL, BF3, or one of the many single player games that I've gotten for dirt cheap through Steam sales.

Reactions: Doctor von Science

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,086 Posts
I have a rather extensive collection of old letters, journals, postcards, etc... all pretty much of the mundane variety. Occasionally digging through genealogy, government and media sites looking to connect the pieces.... mostly for my inane curiosity, though a few pieces have been returned to the generations down the line... 'course most could care less and a few simply don't want to know.

a few other obsessions, I suppose, though they're a bit more on the peculiar or quirky side.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pens, pencils, markers, paper (both printer paper and ruled pages) ... all kinds of stationary, really (staplers, binders, you name it)... I love looking at them, and I always feel the compulsion to buy them all.... can't explain it.
That's my only constant obsession ... unless 'technology' counts...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not an obsession for me anymore, but floorplans and architecture interested me a lot as a kid. I loved drawing, but I only rarely drew people and things as they really appear, and when I did the results were pretty bad. Instead I drew floorplans, elevations, and cross-sections, albeit with the same imaginative and unrealistic nature of any child's drawing. My parents always took me to showings of luxury homes and such when they were publically available, and I loved them.

If you're talking about material goods, then our interests (to the OP that is) still overlap. I love looking at fine watches and men's clothing (suits mostly), just a pointless quest for opulence I suppose, nothing unique there, cars and technology too. I don't care about writing materials being fancy, but they do have to be 'right' (certain lead weight, coloration of my notebook paper, etc. things they don't even put on packaging). One slightly odd thing I like are desks. Boy how I'd my own Resolute Desk.

Other than video games and other things, my obsession of late has been google maps. With street view it's just way too engaging now for me to spend hours cruising through foreign cities from the comfort of my laptop's screen.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not an obsession for me anymore, but floorplans and architecture interested me a lot as a kid. I loved drawing, but I only rarely drew people and things as they really appear, and when I did the results were pretty bad. Instead I drew floorplans, elevations, and cross-sections, albeit with the same imaginative and unrealistic nature of any child's drawing. My parents always took me to showings of luxury homes and such when they were publically available, and I loved them.

If you're talking about material goods, then our interests (to the OP that is) still overlap. I love looking at fine watches and men's clothing (suits mostly), just a pointless quest for opulence I suppose, nothing unique there, cars and technology too. I don't care about writing materials being fancy, but they do have to be 'right' (certain lead weight, coloration of my notebook paper, etc. things they don't even put on packaging). One slightly odd thing I like are desks. Boy how I'd my own Resolute Desk.

Other than video games and other things, my obsession of late has been google maps. With street view it's just way too engaging now for me to spend hours cruising through foreign cities from the comfort of my laptop's screen.
My parents, being the owners of a mortgage company, often overlapped into real estate. They often invested in homes. As such, many days of my childhood were spent driving around different areas looking at homes. At that point, we lived in an outskirt of Las Vegas. I remember going through all of the different neighborhoods looking at properties. My dad always enjoyed it as a hobby.

If you ask me, there should be an autopilot-type setting in Maps, so you can just "drive" around or set an A to B path for it to take you on.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Mundane Obsessions that make me happy: I only use one specific brand of pens. I am obsessed with writing in perfect cursive, even if it just a random reminder note. I tab and sub tab all of my textbooks using different types of tabs depending on whether it's an umbrella concept or something more specific.

Mundane Obsessions that piss me off: I leave the room any time someone is eating fruit because I can't stand the oral noises that are created. Strangely enough, I don't mind it when I am the one eating fruit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts