Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that I generally do A LOT better at expressing emotions and thoughts while listening to music. Without it, I often feel blank. Some of my oddest and (I guess) deepest poetry and writing was made while I was listening to music. The difference is VERY noticable. Without it... I struggle so much more. So whenever I'm working on a story or feel the need to just separate myself from everyone, go on a walk somewhere, etc. I can never do it without music, the sensation is definitely not the same. I also have certain songs for certain occasions and such... but never share them. Usually when I share songs with someone, after that I have difficulty listening to the same song and feeling a personal connection with it because it generally reminds me of the other people far too much (and I want the song to be only mine :p lol)

Anyone have similar experiences?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whenever I paint or write, I always listen to ambient music. It just helps the whole creative process get going and stay going for me. I can get lost in it for hours.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I even listen to music while I'm making music.
Wow, really? I don't think I can ever do that. There's just too much interference in my head.

·
Registered
234 Posts
music really just keeps my mind occupied enough not to get distracted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes,
INFP's can be depressed and melancholy. When I want to be reminded of having my heart ripped out, there are some songs that I can put on that are the expressways to long bouts of crying sobbing and general bewilderment. Its a very comforting connection. On the other hand, there are a ton of songs from the '60's that can do the opposite. Put on some bubble gum pop like the Cowsills or the 1910 Fruitgum company and then try to be depressed. Its great to non chemical mmod altering stimuli. I write in total quiet because I love to hear myself think :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
btw @LuisFuego your scores are almost identical to mine...but you probably felt that intuitively...
i knew it was bound to happen, but i was not aware of you specifically until you made yourself known.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've noticed that I generally do A LOT better at expressing emotions and thoughts while listening to music. Without it, I often feel blank. Some of my oddest and (I guess) deepest poetry and writing was made while I was listening to music. The difference is VERY noticable. Without it... I struggle so much more. So whenever I'm working on a story or feel the need to just separate myself from everyone, go on a walk somewhere, etc. I can never do it without music, the sensation is definitely not the same. I also have certain songs for certain occasions and such... but never share them. Usually when I share songs with someone, after that I have difficulty listening to the same song and feeling a personal connection with it because it generally reminds me of the other people far too much (and I want the song to be only mine :p lol)

Anyone have similar experiences?
I have experienced this SO much. As far as feeling more creative while listening to music as well as losing that feeling of a personal connection with my music once it has been passed around too many times. I don't like to associate my favorite music with any particular people. I want to listen to it and feel what I've always felt from it when I've just been able to hear it as is and not have all of those distracting associations with it. And I especially get irritated when I see that some of my particularly favorite music is becoming more popular among crowds that I've never been able to really relate to. Or when a certain person that I knew from school or someplace (on facebook or where ever) posts lyrics to one of my most personal bands, it takes so much out of it for me. Especially if I can tell that they don't take the music quite as seriously as I do. Then it just feels like they're posting the lyrics in vain because they want to see how many likes and comments they can get on it simply for posting good lyrics, rather than having posted something that they could really relate to on a personal level. I hope I'm making some sense. And I'm really not trying to be selfish. It just makes it hard to see music that I've held so dear to me, being misused like that. And then I have those negative associations with it. And then I wish they had never even become popular simply so that I could still be able to listen to them the way that I always had.

But anyway, I'll stop ranting for now. Thanks for posting this! It feels so good to know that there are other people out there who feel this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts