Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a job that involves research that is often very repetitive. I've found that in order to stay focused, I'll need to have some music on (preferably electronic music without lyrics, otherwise my mind will wander to the lyrics and try to start thinking about them).

Here's the thing: if I was doing complex problem solving, music would be a distraction. I remember doing homework in high school and college and needing absolute silence. But since my work is rather repetitive, I'm able to throw on some music and go into autopilot mode. Can anyone else relate? Is this an INTP thing?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I personally just always have some music on in my room because silence bothers me quite a lot, I will never move to the country for that same reason. Although if the problem is very difficult I may need to turn it down a little bit, but I must always have some noise. It doesn't have to be music either, it could be a fan or something.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hate noise when I'm working on something actually, especially when I need to concentrate.

Saying that, on Saturdays when I used to do overtime in the office, I used to switch on All80sRadio from Malaga. For laughs, really, the station was really quite eccentric. (They would play David Bowie then follow it with "Postman Pat")

I love "losing" myself in music, though, particularly when the lyrics are interesting. There have even been times when something has played which has really "spoken" to me and kicked me out of a pity party or deeply aroused my Fi, or my imagination.

Reactions: MrsSquiggleton

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a job that involves research that is often very repetitive. I've found that in order to stay focused, I'll need to have some music on (preferably electronic music without lyrics, otherwise my mind will wander to the lyrics and try to start thinking about them).

Here's the thing: if I was doing complex problem solving, music would be a distraction. I remember doing homework in high school and college and needing absolute silence. But since my work is rather repetitive, I'm able to throw on some music and go into autopilot mode. Can anyone else relate? Is this an INTP thing?
I am like this. for repetitive stuff, I need music (with lyrics is fine) or I feel like I'm going crazy with boredom. for stuff I need to concentrate on, sometimes I still listen to instrumental music but sometimes I need quiet.

oh, I should add that the music has to be my own choice, not some random radio playing in the background. can't stand that.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't really need music, if I am getting paid for my repetition. I do like some form of sound, this could be a fan or air conditioner vent. I don't absolutely need any sounds, but machine noises just somehow make me feel less alone.

I am an expert day dreamer, and I look at a repetition job as getting paid to day dream. I get lost in my thoughts, look back at the clock, and then I see it is 1hr 23mins later.

I do not like music when I am trying to focus on my work, like if I was writing an essay or something. Then I feel like my attention is fighting between the music and my work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For repetitive stuff, I need music as a background noise to stay sane. If I need to really concentrate on something, I find a song to match my current mood and play it over and over.

·
Registered
70 Posts
(Sorry if this is a no-duh thing. Just felt the need to bring it up. :crazy: )

I'm fairly sure this just has to do with how the brain works. Since you're doing something repetitive, it doesn't require a lot of your higher brain function. So, listening to music (Which, if I recall, is mostly a higher brain thing) doesn't tangle up your focus. Doing difficult problem solving, however, DOES require your higher functions.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't really need music, if I am getting paid for my repetition. I do like some form of sound, this could be a fan or air conditioner vent. I don't absolutely need any sounds, but machine noises just somehow make me feel less alone.

I am an expert day dreamer, and I look at a repetition job as getting paid to day dream. I get lost in my thoughts, look back at the clock, and then I see it is 1hr 23mins later.

I do not like music when I am trying to focus on my work, like if I was writing an essay or something. Then I feel like my attention is fighting between the music and my work.
You may have just made a break though for me. :shocked:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
For repetitive tasks, like sorting envelopes or something, I absolutely need music. For emotional tasks, I often use music to set the mood. However when I'm really trying to think about or concentrate on something, the music distracts me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't like silence much, especially in the darkness. Well, after people have been talking in my ear for hours, I welcome it. But the ringing in my ears will get too loud. I always have a fan on or a machine running; I like the sound of engines. But that's OT.

On topic, I can listen to music whenever I'm doing work, as it helps me to concentrate better. However, if I'm trying really hard to focus on something, or trying to solve a difficult problem, I have to take my headphones out because the music will become distracting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts