Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay admit it. I know you have at least one song or element of music that makes you cry. So what makes you cry when you hear it? What is so upsetting about or, in my case beautiful about a song or type of music?

For me, my heart string lies in stringed instruments (bad pun intended), especially with the violin. I have watched the video below about four times now and every time I do I begin crying nearly uncontrollably. I don't feel emotionally upset in any way, negative or positive. I just feel like I physically cannot resist the urge to begin draining my eyes. I do feel like an element of that is from the emotions that are activated when hearing the music, but in my own perspective it doesn't feel extremely emotional. I just hear something that connects in my brain the right way and start crying. hah

·
Registered
142 Posts

Not cry per-se but it does evoke the feeling of crying.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is a few specific songs that will trigger a memory that will get me teary eyed. But again it's only if they trigger a memory. Right now for example "Vuela Libre Palome" by Mana will do it.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I'm a bit of a sentimentalist. I suppose like "stuff," certain songs evoke a particular memory from a moment in my life. For instance, when I hear a song my mother used to play all of the time, or that she used to sing, I get a little choked up and feel the need to call her. The same goes with my the rest of my family.

If I go to a wedding, and there is some slideshow where pictures show the bride and groom as kids then progressively older, and the parents are there getting teary eyed while Sunrise/Sunset is playing in the background, I get a little teary eyed:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
...I don't cry during songs. Nor do I feel like crying when I listen to songs. I don't think I have ever listened to a song that made me cry, or even shed a tear.
I anticipate that you will call me a liar.
But I don't.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd been having a particularly hard month last year but had kept my composition throughout. I'd just cut off all contact with my long-time friend after a protracted breakup process. When driving home from work one day on the highway, this song came on the radio. The song builds up from not staying true to ones self and the inability to tell truth from illusion. I burst into tears at the moment where it said "we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year. Running over the same old ground, what have we found? The same old fears."

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I only remember shedding a tear or two while listening to this song, it only happened once though, and I don't know why it did.

AFX's pretty ambient stuff gets me sometimes, as well. It sounds like how you feel after a couple hours of deep meditation.

I could post a whole thread worth of "chakra opening" songs that make people tear up, but I'll spare you all.

I find Tori Amos (and her superfan cult) annoying in general, but every once in a while her piano noodling is really beautiful. Like on "Alamo", "Never Seen Blue", "China".

·
Registered
284 Posts
This song makes me cry when I listen to it. Whether logically or not, I've connected it with a really depressing point in my life, and it brings back a lot of bad emotions and memories. I haven't listened to it in a few months, and I don't really plan to listen to it any time soon. The only connection the song has is that I was listening to it at probably one of the most emotional moments in my life, and I noticed while everything was going on that the energy of the song was fluctuating nearly exactly as I was feeling at that specific time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are pieces of music that make my heart feel heavy or light...but not to the point of crying. I've found that nostalgia is my weak spot.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's normally music that I consider beautiful that can make me shed a tear or two. This sets me off quite a bit:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I feel very emotional listening to some music, but I have never actually cried. A little teary maybe... but... that's all.

Mostly when a song makes me emotional its due to the lyrical content of the song compounded with various associations it evokes from my own life.
The actual musical elements that are most emotional to me are the following. First are what I like to call straining sounds. Sounds where a range is being reached that is clearly beyond what's ideal, which is reflected tonally but not in pitch, while the whole transition has a lot of sustain. This covers lots of vocal work (especially male voices with strong falsettos/high ranges (ex. Thom Yorke)) as well as lower strings and occasionally double-reed instruments. The second thing is having sustained high notes going over a driving bass line, especially in minor keys. To me this evokes a feeling of power, which for me is at least as emotional as sadness (as I mentioned in another thread).

·
Registered
999 Posts
The common theme in the music in this thread seems to be a sort of simple, pure, serene sound. I like it all. I was in Spain back in 2000, and I bought an album that had this song on it. I don't entirely know why, but it just floored me with emotion when I first heard it:

·
Registered
495 Posts
There has, in fact, only been one song capable of making me drop tears (there was another song, but it was part of an AMV (i.e. anime MV), so it wasn't just the music which did it). Part of the reason is me blocking my emotions less, lately:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Okay admit it. I know you have at least one song or element of music that makes you cry.
No. I can get nostalgic, happy, sad, but not to the point of crying. I cry watching movies, but music just doesn't do it for me.

But if there was a song that could make me cry, it would be the one @Hosker posted, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2.

*tiptoes in*

How I wish this thread was in the INFP forum... *sigh*

*tiptoes out*

:p
Don't worry poor INFP.

Here, you can use this permission card to post on our forum:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts