Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My experience:
So, the typical INTP careers are scientists, mathematicians, engineers, theorizers, strategic planners, and teachers. I'm very INTP and, without a doubt, Thinking as opposed to Feeling. When I was young, I wanted to be a judge, a veterinarian, or a scientist like my dad - all typical INTP jobs. Now, I absolutely can't see myself doing anything other than music for a living. I started with Audio Engineering, thinking that I like to watch parts come together into a whole, and it involves rational systematic tweaking with some creative input. I like recording and producing, but I realized that it bores me if I'm not really into the music I'm working on. I also wanted more creative input, so I switched to composition.

Because of this, I've recently decided to go through with my hidden goal of writing and possibly performing music for a living. Although I love playing in bands, I can't see myself being a performer for a living just yet. Definitely on the side unless an opportunity were to arise. What's odd is that the career choices that I'm the most interested in are typically INFP careers: Writing, teaching (math and music), and expression through music.

The question:
Is it strange for an INTP to be drawn so much to music? INTPs like discovery, theory, and rational thinking. With this in mind, don't music and writing seem very appropriate for people with our mindset? Like the song by Boards of Canada, it's true that "Music is Math". It's all visual association and music theory. It's a surprisingly technical field. The creativity (at least in my case) isn't xNFx nearly as much as it is xNTx. You take a basis of what you know (scales, resolves and chord sequences) and then ask yourself, "What should I add to get the particular sound I want?". We utilize numerical reasoning like inversions of chords, intervals ("steps" between notes; seconds, thirds, fourths, etc.) and much like scientists, researchers, and mathematicians, we attempt to piece together this gigantic abstract system of numbers and shapes in groundbreaking ways. Much like the Architect stereotype would suggest, INTP's love building and pulling things together. To me, musical notes are like Legos, and I build shapes and identify patterns, and incorporate as many different shapes, patterns and theoretical concepts as I can into a song. We use the building blocks we have access to to craft a flowing aural landscape, and to create new building blocks.

TL;DR: INTP = Progressive musicians? Musicianship includes identifying patterns, branching off from known music theory into our own imaginative INTP ether of creative potential, and building shapes constructed from numbers. We seek clarity and logic, and to me, writing a song that's new and different is like solving a problem that's never been solved before, or writing up a whole new mathematical theory and then applying it. Is it just me, or could music very much be a popular INTP career?

P.S., if you want to hear INTP musical dabblings check out the demos on my Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/spencer-moore-4 (namely Poppy Redux, Hey Josh, Message From a Man Lost at Sea, Transmitting Sonar v2, and Oceans, which will all be turned into full songs on my eventual self-produced EP). Also, listen to Autolux if you want to hear a good example of widely appreciated INTP music. They're a shoegazey indie rock band from LA, but they're straightforward, heavy, and ingenious in the conceptual simplicity and coldness of their music. Like a mix between My Bloody Valentine and and early Muse. Good songs are "Asleep at the Trigger", "Here Comes Everybody", "Sugarless", and "The Science of Imaginary Solutions".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmm I wouldn't say strange, I have recently meet an INTP (I'm 90% certain he is) that used to be a musician. But I myself have never been interested in music. Dated a drummer when i was in college (I still think drums are cool :laughing:), was kinda forced to learn the piano - which I never liked, didn't really enjoy music in general, unless my insomnia kicks in again and needed a 'lullaby' to put me to sleep. My mp3 player is filled with my favorite documentary or interviews which I listen to when I make the unbearable journey to and from work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm I wouldn't say strange, I have recently meet an INTP (I'm 90% certain he is) that used to be a musician. But I myself have never been interested in music. Dated a drummer when i was in college (I still think drums are cool :laughing:), was kinda forced to learn the piano - which I never liked, didn't really enjoy music in general, unless my insomnia kicks in again and needed a 'lullaby' to put me to sleep. My mp3 player is filled with my favorite documentary or interviews which I listen to when I make the unbearable journey to and from work.
It's funny that you bring up the music to cure insomnia thing. My most creative time of the day to play, interpret and write music is around 4 AM, which is when I usually go to sleep. I think this started because I used to try to sleep at 2, then I liked staying up that extra little bit and just screwing around with my guitar. :tongue:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'm drawn to music because I'm an Entertainer (7w6)? I didn't even know about this system until an hour ago haha
Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 3.44.43 PM.jpg

Edit: Wow, that pic is tiny for some reason. But I'm 7w6, 9w8, 3w2 respectively.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's funny that you bring up the music to cure insomnia thing. My most creative time of the day to play, interpret and write music is around 4 AM, which is when I usually go to sleep. I think this started because I used to try to sleep at 2, then I liked staying up that extra little bit and just screwing around with my guitar. :tongue:
Ahh! You are 7w6, that makes sense. You will be more imaginative, more creative and spontaneous than my 5w4. But it's funny we actually sleep at the same time, I too go to bed at 2am, while you tinker with your guitar, I will watch 1/4 of various documentary before finally falling asleep shortly after 4am... :tongue:

·
Registered
36 Posts
No not at all. I'm immensely interested in music as well. I took piano lessons as a kid, but stopped way to soon, something that I've always regretted. I did however pick up bass when I was around 11. I still play, both electric and upright, mostly jazz on upright, and jazz, funk, and whatever on electric. I am currently pursuing my graduate degree in maths I have often thought that if it wasn't for math I would have wanted to major in music. I know I don't possess the talent that my musical heros have (though I really doubt that this talent has anything at all to do with an MBTI personality profile), but I am very competent in bass and have played in various jazz groups for quite sometime. I do thoroughly enjoy music theory, and especially enjoy studying it in pieces and solos by my favorite jazz artists. These include Jaco, Herbie, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Django, Mingus, Stanley Clarke, etcetc. I mean I also enjoy listening to a majority of genres, from Metal to Motown to Hip Hop, but I enjoy playing/studying jazz the most. Interestingly enough I fucking hate like math rock or whatever(like king crimson, bleh).

As for you wanting to do music with your life, I mean when it comes down to it fuck your MBTI profile and do what you love doing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Music is freaking awesome. I'm a percussion person, and one time I was in a building with 8+ five octave marimbas, and just the realization of existing in such close proximity to so many beautiful instruments in that one moment literally brought tears to my eyes.

Really though, music is math and magic put together. Well, math is already magic, but music is magic math that you can hear and feel.

There are tons of threads on this forums about INTPs and affinity for music. I wouldn't say it's strange at all. I've always wanted to compose.

Also, fun fact of the day on a semi related note, I've been going to drum line practice for seven hours a day this week, then today I went to another band practice for an hour on top of that, then I came home and worked some on original material for another band. INTPs and Music can go together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
(sorry if grammar is incorrect, I'm too lazy to proof read at the moment)

This explains a lot. I once read the INFP analysis by a mistake, and thought I read INTP. The analysis said one INFP interest was music. I finally thought there was an analysis that got my interests right, but.. nope.

Sure, I find science and math interesting. I've often contemplated about how specific items in nature works, like a tree or DNA. But music has been something I loved since I was born. And a wish of being a composer (one of several dream jobs) developed at the age of about 12 years old. (But I never studied music at school to get a degree. My strong sense of "what's sensible" is too strong, and I dislike that sense to some extent.)

Anyway, another interesting fact is that I am 7w6 too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't play any instruments but I have a big archive of all kinds of music. New Age to Metal. I am a big fan of music though I'm not that imaginative to make my own rhymes or that motivated to play an instrument. I can realize the differences between different genres of music but I don't know how to explain it in the matters of music, because I know nearly nothing of notes etc. I always say I hardly like rock music but I'm a big fan of alternative rock. Some people may not understand the difference but I can feel it, even though I can't explain it.

Anyway, INTPs are good with music, whether it's being a musicaholic like me, or a musician like you. There are lots of famous INTP musicians as well.
By the way one of my friends, an INTP makes his songs as well. But his music is a little bit uncommon, it's in the Death Funeral genre or something like that, I can't remember the name clearly!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The timing of this thread is coincidental but I just read something a couple days ago that, after INFPs, INTPs are the most common personality type to be composers/musicians.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Playing music for a living is a dream of mine, just having trouble finding other musicians that sync with me. I'm a drummer and i love progressive rock and metal. I really do love the math element of it. There really are no rules when you get deep enough, it's awesome. Trying to do something like The Contortionist new album Language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it was perfect for what I have been thinking about.
An important part of music is making a connection with the listener. Obviously different audiences are going to have different ways they connect best with music. Most people are going to have a sensing or feeling connection. How can an intp make that work?
Fortunately there is a craft to making music connect to people's senses and feelings, so we can use our thinking and intuitive functions to mimic what other performer types do naturally. Western music has been studied and analyzed so much that it's really a matter of following some tried and true formulas and putting your own signature on them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah, I also find it interesting that while I eventually get bored of topics that I know a lot about, music is an interest that never goes away. I think it's cause there's so much of it out there and so much is getting released/created everyday that it never runs out, so there's always something new to explore. And if I get bored of a certain genre then I can learn about new ones.

I have an INFP friend and she's really interested in Space and she wants to have a career in that industry, which is supposedly an INTP interest. I find it interesting too but not as much as music. So MBTI isn't the be all, end all. There's variation in types.

I'm a musician as well (I love playing piano and my youtube channel is elainemusic369) and I think it's the inferior Fe playing a role in INTP's interest in music. We want to understand the things we don't know that much about. Similar to my INFP friend's inferior Te which makes her like math and science.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'm an aspiring fiction writer. I care a great deal about the freedom to retreat into my own fantasy world, I love the philosophical concept of the simple pieces being transformed into magnificent wholes greater than the sums of the parts, I love the technical details of using specific language to portray specific tropes for specific reasons, and I love being able to stop and go whenever I want and still get everything done.

I can't imagine anything wrong with another INTP feeling the same way about music :happy:

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Music has theories and quite like math. Both of my INTP exes are big music persons. They listen to music with critical ears and can easily tell one style or chore progression over another. Any progression that didn't make sense they wrinkled their brows (so funny to watch).

I think it's perfectly fine to treat music as a career choice. Don't let MBTI or anything else dictate what you do with your life.

However, do be honest with self. If your goal is to be an instrumentalist (doesn't matter what instrument), you have to know your talent and how far you can progress. There are so many kids, once they enter into the music program, realize that they can't match up to their classmates because the classmates are simply more gifted. Most of my instrumentalist friends with master's degree ended up teaching kids (piano and violin teachers).

If your gift is audio engineering, the job market is pretty limited. If you are into composing or arranging, it is also very competitive. I was at an indie film society event for new members, many are composers/arrangers wanting to break into film scoring (they were there to meet budding filmmakers and producers). I bet they would go to gaming conventions, too, to see if they could score for games.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts