• They both play an equal role

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a debate with my ENFP friend recently. We generally enjoy the same music, but we came across different reasons for it.

He says that he only likes a song if it has meaningful and/or emotional lyrics.

I, on the other hand, usually only pay attention to the tune. I tend to drift deep into dreamland when I'm listening to music, and so I don't really care much about what message the song is trying to convey. I prefer to insert my own interpretations of it, and it's harder to do so when I'm focusing on the lyrics.

How do you guys feel on the matter? I'm not really sure if my personality type has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had lots of arguments over this and this is always my point: The lyrics and the backing should fit together and make a whole song. There's no singular thing that makes a song good, and I usually find myself liking bands with both talented musicians and lyricists in them.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Mostly the music. Case in point: my all-time favourite song has lyrics that are utterly incomprehensible. Sure, they're nice and poetic, but i never knew that until i looked them up :crazy: I also listen to plenty of instrumental music.

That isn't to say that i don't appreciate good lyrics though, because i do... it's just not a necessity for me if the music is good enough... although in lyrically driven genres such as hip-hop, it is pretty essential. But that doesn't apply to music in general. However, if lyrics are truly terrible, it bothers me and i can't enjoy the song anymore. False sentiment in particular really rubs me the wrong way. GTFO of my stereo with your hallmark emotions :crazy:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I don't even know. I don't even know what makes me like certain songs. I can be picky.

It's typically the tone of the voice, coupled with the tune, I think. Because I can listen to a song in French and enjoy it, and though occasionally instrumentals are nice, I do not prefer them at all. Also, I love some songs that aren't lyrically much at all, but sometimes I can find comforting things in some of the most mundane lyrics. So it's really all important. I agree with pretty much everyone else.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I find myself a little bored by instrumentals sometimes, like there is something missing. Most music is great because the lyrics and instrumentation fit well together. I do love melody but I also like to sing along. Singing is more fun than humming!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
I hardly ever pay attention to the lyrics. The tune of the song is what matters to me. That's probably why I hate punk rock so much and my favorite genre of music is Black Metal, That and trance.

·
Registered
298 Posts
To me lyrics are just another instrument. A song does not need words. If they have words they should fit with the music. Its one of the reasons I dont really like pop. There is no really music in the back its all about the singer and I feel it lacks something.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've always been more into the tune of the song...it's what catches my attention first. However, these past few years I've been paying more attention to the lyrics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've always liked the lyrics more, but I can't listen to music where the lyrics are great but the tunes are shitty. But I can listen to music where the tune is good but the lyrics are shitty as long is it's the only thing I'm listening to at that moment. If the only thing I'm doing is paying attention to the music then the lyrics need to be good. And when I listen to a song for this first time I need to look at the lyrics.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its a little of both for me. I love instrumental music because I really just love the way you can paint something in your head when you hear awesome music. But I really like lyrics because it can tell an amazing story or be really meaningful to me.

If I had to pick, it would be the tune for me. I just love the sound of the music.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Definitely the tune, though it does bother me a lot when the lyrics are incomprehensible. My admiration of some artists is also based a lot more on the lyrics than the melodies.

If someone preferred lyrics to melodies altogether I'd imagine they would be more interested in poetry than music.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah, that's a tough question. Generally I think tune usually attracts me first....or voice....or certain instruments. If I really like any of those components in a song I end up tuning out the lyrics and focusing exclusively on the thing it is that moves me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tune, because the lyrics can be lies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I enjoy music with great lyrics very much, but I guess I'll go with tune on this one. Because I can listen to a song in wich I don't like the lyrics but love the tune, while you can show me a rap with masterpiece lyrics, and it probably won't get me too excited.

Still, completely idiotic lyrics can be quite a disapointment, even in songs that sound amazing.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,211 Posts
I definately prefer tune to lyrics. IN fact, I prefer no lyrics at all, unless they are sung in some other language, but even then, I guess I'm just not usually all that fond of voice in comparrison to other instuments. I MUCH prefer instrumental things, and I think a lot of it is because I don't like to have my thoughts directed from the outside. With words in songs it's hard to focus on anything. Half the time I'm not quite sure what they're saying because either I don't catch it even while trying, or because I was in and out of my own thoughts and only heard bits and peices. In the end it's just a distraction, and I neither know what it's saying nor can I really think about anything else other than the words I do catch. So many times a song will start and I'll think, hey I think I like this one, but the minute they start singing my enjoyment disappears and I just get annoyed.

I like music to be separate from ideas. I enjoy music for the sounds, the complicated interaction and structure, and for the emotional atmosphere it creates - which is can do quite well without any words attached. It's not that I read meaning into it, I just view it as separate and enjoy it as separate. I don't see the need for there to be any idea behind it. If I want deep thoughts or philosophy or poetry or someone to identify with I'll look to written things, and in that case music would also be somewhat distracting for me, distraciting from the meaning. I do notice and appreciate how the meaning and the sounds can work together in songs, but I just prefer the two separately.

For what it's worth, one of my INFP friends is the opposite of me. She says she has a very hard time listening to and appreciating music that doesn't have words, she just can't figure out how to connect with it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Good tune without as good lyrics = okay.. I can live with that..
Only good lyrics = why it has such a bad background?
Good lyrics + tune = eargasm

Music is tune for me and lyrics are just..illustrating details. So.. I definitely prefer tune though good lyrics are big plus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts