Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The idea of this thread is simple. Post a song or other piece of music for all the four seasons. It doesn't matter if there is actual lyrics to the song or if it's just instrumental. It doesn't matter if the place where you live has very distinct different seasons or not - simply put a total of 4 music tracks which remind you of your homeplace's or home country's different seasons. You can put a simple description to describe the song's connection to the season - or not. It's up to you.

I'll be the first to start. (Location: North Europe)

Summer: Lind Erebos - Under the Shadow of the Oak

Reminds me of a fresh and serene summer morning. A beautiful piece of music in my opinion.

Autumn: Jeremy Soule - Wings of Kyraneth

The picture in the video may be full of green nature, but the song itself reminds me of my country's autumn, when leaves start to fall and the forests turn to different hues of brown, orange and yellow. It must be the violin which sets the mood.

Winter: Paul Anthony Romero - Snow Theme

Even without the wind in the background, this music with it's cello instrument sets definitely the mood for a gray winter day with wind and snow falling all around you..

Spring: Paul Anthony Romero - Order Theme

Another one from Romero! The song reminds me of the time when flowers start to appear from the ground and grass starts to slowly grow from the soil. A brilliant time to live in, time with full of hope.

Your turn! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Winter in the UK:

Springtime:

Summer:

(Although I considered Fat Bottom girls)

Autumn:

I can't think of one at the moment, I'll consider it and edit later.

Reactions: Space Ryder

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I GOt YOU COVERED BRO.

One thing which I haven't ever understood in Vivaldi's Four Seasons, was that why has Vivaldi decided to include chaos to the summer and liveliness to the winter?

To me, summer is all about serenity, vibrancy and warmth. Winter on the other hand is about lack of life, stillness, and the coldness.

But oh well, I guess all things are relative. Eye of the beholder and so on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
One thing which I haven't ever understood in Vivaldi's Four Seasons, was that why has Vivaldi decided to include chaos to the summer and liveliness to the winter?

To me, summer is all about serenity, vibrancy and warmth. Winter on the other hand is about lack of life, stillness, and the coldness.

But oh well, I guess all things are relative. Eye of the beholder and so on.
Edit: From what I recall, Vivaldi was asthmatic and suffered greatly from hay fever and subsequently disliked the summer. Let me try and find a citation on that one though. My memory is not the best guide on this. The allegro in the summer movement depicts a summer storm, blowing up out of nowhere.

I can't find a citation I regard as reliable enough for the forum but in his personal letters he talked of 'strettezza di petto' - literally a 'tightness in the chest' which has been interpreted as asthmatic bronchitis but without more information could also be angina-related. Either way with the hot closeness of Italian cities in times past I suspect the summer was less fun than it is now.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I recall, Vivaldi was asthmatic and suffered greatly from hay fever and subsequently disliked the summer. Let me try and find a citation on that one though. My memory is not the best guide on this. The allegro in the summer movement depicts a summer storm, blowing up out of nowhere.

Just suffering from hay fever isn't an excuse to compose a song which depicts only an immensely small portion of a season. Besides, there are storms during every season, so the song could also depict spring, autumn or even winter (which is the opposite of summer).

Absurd!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just suffering from hay fever isn't an excuse to compose a song which depicts only an immensely small portion of a season. Besides, there are storms during every season, so the song could also depict spring, autumn or even winter (which is the opposite of summer).

Absurd!
I was trying to conceptualise it but I agree it wasn't perfect. Beyond the information I have give you I can suggest no further reasons to suggest for his depiction of the summer and his emphasis on the storm. It was perhaps to do with the overall structure of the piece where he needed a slow-medium-quick piece (lento-adagio-allegro) for each season and so he chose a summer storm to complete the summer narrative in the correct form?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was trying to conceptualise it but I agree it wasn't perfect. Beyond the information I have give you I can suggest no further reasons to suggest for his depiction of the summer and his emphasis on the storm. It was perhaps to do with the overall structure of the piece where he needed a slow-medium-quick piece (lento-adagio-allegro) for each season and so he chose a summer storm to complete the summer narrative in the correct form?
Yeah, I did always imagine a brilliant thunderstorm when listening to Summer. That, and there are always a lot more thunderstorms during summer from what I've noticed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.